Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Bought a 1980 Diesel Rabbit Manual Today

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, so I literally couldn't remove a single bolt. I broke 2 screw drivers trying.... Was thinking I could get my sockets that grab stuck bolts but why chew it up and now have to replace the bolts?

I guess I have to get a really big flat-head screwdriver that exactly fits the bolts and then get this thing in a vice. Wasn't expecting that kind of torque on those bolts. I'm wondering almost if someone tried just over-tightening them to stop the leak. These things are ON here.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its absolutely nice car!!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Got the pump seals finally replaced... now I'm trying to get it primed properly and chasing any small leak I can find now. No major puddles in the driveway now so it's making progress
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This was my first car. Back when I was 5 my parents got me a power wheels Red VW rabbit convertible. I loved it.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Still having problems getting it started. Either priming problem, or I have the timing set incorrectly.

More to come
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

After checking the injection pump timing was off and I retimed it which then fixed the issue. Fired up and ran rough for a minute until the air got out of the lines. Seems like everything is okay.

Now time to install my inline fuel pump and get the heater vac leak fixed. Almost ready for DD use.....
Old Dec 20, 2014, 07:26 AM

I have a question.

Why buy a diesel for such a short drive? Won't you be cold? I have a 4.6 mile drive to work, and my cars have issues getting completely warm before I get here.

It helps that I have a remote start now though.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbotalon1g
I have a question.

Why buy a diesel for such a short drive? Won't you be cold? I have a 4.6 mile drive to work, and my cars have issues getting completely warm before I get here.

It helps that I have a remote start now though.
None of my vehicles produce warm air before arriving at work. I'm just turning the key off when it's starting to warm up.

However this car has a block heater that plugs in. So I don't have to pre-start the car I can just set an electronic timer to turn the block heater on roughly an hour before I get up. Car starts right up and once I fix the heater fan it will have hot air the second I get in.

Using the electric company to heat up the car is way cheaper than using fuel. Plus it's just *cool* having a diesel small car clanking away. I just went to fill up the air in the tires and had someone walk over and start asking about the diesel they can hear in there.

I'll have to get some video footage now that it's running and starting regularly. Sounds like a mini-tractor pulling away when I drive around. It just has so much character.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't posted in a bit but I ended up fixing all the vacuum connections to get the HVAC controls working again.

I also rewired all 4 speeds to the blower motor with fresh thick wire right to the battery and now the fan comes on hard and strong.

Car is parked since there is a lot of snow on the ground and gas is now under $2/gal so I haven't done much to it.

More updates once I get time to finish rust-proofing it.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 01:24 PM

That's a cool project for $600. Cool deal.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyldare
That's a cool project for $600. Cool deal.
Post whoring is see.