Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Sell evo 8 for E90 M3?

Old Jan 7, 2015, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell evo 8 for E90 M3?

I'm considering selling/trading my Evo for a 2008-2009 E90 M3 sedan. I prefer the sedan not because it has 4 doors, but because I find the E92 to look very long, and slender. I like the chunky look of the E90.

I want a car that's more sophisticated. More grown up. Feels nicer, is nicer. Just an overall better car. But still a drivers car. The 4.0 V8 is a HUGE selling point. I've always been a BMW fan, and love M cars. I've wanted an M3 for as long as I can remember. I've had two Evo's. I crashed my first one. Looked at E46 M3's, but couldn't justify paying $20 for one with 120k miles. So I bought another Evo.

My current Evo is 350whp, and is a great, raw driving experience. Otherwise, I'm falling out of love with it. It's a fantastic driving car. I love to simply drive it. It's amazing in the snow. But it makes me feel stupid. I have no real emotional attachment to the car itself. More or less the driving experience it gives me. The second best car I've driven is an E46 M3. The first in an Evo.

Selling the Evo just feels right. I feel like it's time to move onto something else. An E90 M3 may be slightly slower in a straight line. It won't have quite the raw experience, but it's still an M car. And the sound it produces will make up for any other short coming.

I love AWD. I live in Pennsylvania, so AWD is useful, but most importantly, fun. I'm 28 years old, but I haven't reached the point where I need practical. I still want fun. I like the AWD due to it's FUN factor in the snow. Not it's practicality. The M3 would in no means be an upgrade in terms of snow performance. A huge downgrade actually.

With that said, I'll throw this in. My father currently has a E90 2011 335i X-drive with an M package. He's offered to sell it to me in a year when he's ready to buy a new car. I've driven this car more than a few times. It's a fantastic car. But it's no M3. It's quick, handles well, but feels almost numb when compared directly to an Evo. M3's are not numb, but they're not AWD either. But, an M3 provides a much better driving experience than the 335i 8 months out of the year. And the sound of the V8, damn.

Posting on an Evo forum, I'm sure I'll see biased responses. I like the Evo a lot. I just feel like I'm over it. I'd miss it. It's the best car I've ever driven. I just feel like it's time to move on with my life. It' a 2005 with just 62k miles. So it's still worth something. I'd like to sell it while it's still worth money.

So.... I'm conflicted. I still have yet to drive an E90 M3. I've driven the E46. The E46 has a good raw feel to it, without being harsh. I'm just wondering if the E90 has maintained any of that raw feel. I'd consider an E46, but most of them are old and beat by now. Finding a good example is difficult. Plus, the V8 in the E90 is spectacular.

Not sure what I'm trying to solve by posting this. Just typing out my thoughts.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
well, at the end of the day it is really up to you. drive one first. I can bet you will regret selling the evo. good luck with the choice!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
a lot of people have seem to have made this jump. i'd love an e90, but not at the expense of giving up my 9
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
look into maintenence costs. I know brakes are way more expensive, as well as tires over an evo. And god forbid the SMG trans takes a ****. Definitey stay with stick...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 06:26 AM

its all personal preference and what you value, and clearly you value some different things now. i too am 28 and want some new things, but ill never sell my Evo9, ever, unless life comes crashing down. which its not, so im looking to add a CTS-V wagon to my stable to get a newer "nicer" car. but again, ive never give up the raw drivers car that the evo is.

obviously not everyone can just buy another car without selling one, so do what you gotta do, you can always get another evo and throw some bolt ons on it and be back to where you were before; its not like you have a $30k build and 700whp project that you've played with over the years and have blood sweat and tears into.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
do eeet! if i could i would.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
regardless how much you analyze this it comes down to a couple of things whichever direction you go... as in there are trade offs depending on whether you keep the Evo or go with the M3.

I have gone this route twice now... first with an E46 M3 and 2 years ago with a E92 335i.

The E46 stay away from... they are beat up at this point and you already had one.

The E90 M3 (4 door) is def the way I would go with IF you go with an M3. For obvious reasons... 4 doors, some practicality and it I agree that it looks better than the coupe. I wont go into the positives as why you want one because that is mostly subjective and personal preference. Luxury is obvious and the status that you own an M3 are the main reasons people get them coming from a JDM car. Especially the people that do the silly stanced look with them...

So the down side to the M3...
- is that is rear wheel drive.
- maintenance cost (and you should already know). BMWs are expensive to fix and unless you know you're way around them (from owning an E46 previously) I say this is a big factor as what it would keep me from getting one. When that warranty runs out... its big bucks to fix.
-mods even BIGGER MONEY...

If money isn't a big issue to you, than all of this is a moot point and I would probably take the plunge.

I really contemplated on getting the new F80 M3 but after driving one, I can't justify dropping $65k(base model) on it... I am now on the fence as to whether to get another Evo or maybe just a WRX in 2016 when they get a facelift for a fun car.

I have driven several E90 M3s that belong to friends... modded and stock and I can tell you it is night and day compared to an E46. The V8 is much torquier than the old 6 on the E46 and the car handles better overall. Stock the E90 is obviously better being that is newer technology and I always felt my E46 was slow and felt like a tank. My 335i was dropped on coils and I loved the way it handled (on dry payment).

The luxury and nicer ride is what I do miss from them as they were better for practical reasons and for getting around in bad traffic.

Good luck on whatever you decide to get... I would go test drive one and do some research on them as to which years is best to purchase. I am not that familiar with E90/92) M3s since I didn't own one. I always thought the 335i was a better bang for the buck.

Last edited by Astro_Train; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
look into maintenence costs. I know brakes are way more expensive, as well as tires over an evo. And god forbid the SMG trans takes a ****. Definitey stay with stick...
I definitely want three pedals. I value the experience, fun and skill it takes to drive with a true transmission. I've driven the SMG transmissions, and while I was impressed with how well they worked while driving spiritedly, I didn't like it otherwise. So a true manual transmission is what I'd go for.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1gturbo
its all personal preference and what you value, and clearly you value some different things now. i too am 28 and want some new things, but ill never sell my Evo9, ever, unless life comes crashing down. which its not, so im looking to add a CTS-V wagon to my stable to get a newer "nicer" car. but again, ive never give up the raw drivers car that the evo is.

obviously not everyone can just buy another car without selling one, so do what you gotta do, you can always get another evo and throw some bolt ons on it and be back to where you were before; its not like you have a $30k build and 700whp project that you've played with over the years and have blood sweat and tears into.
My Evo is paid off. And while it's still worth a decent bit of money, It's be worth selling or trading to help with the payment of the M3. I'd absolutely love to keep the Evo an add an M3. I suppose I COULD, but it wouldn't be a wise choice, financially.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
regardless how much you analyze this it comes down to a couple of things whichever direction you go... as in there are trade offs depending on whether you keep the Evo or go with the M3.

I have gone this route twice now... first with an E46 M3 and 2 years ago with a E92 335i.

The E46 stay away from... they are beat up at this point and you already had one.

The E90 M3 (4 door) is def the way I would go with IF you go with an M3. For obvious reasons... 4 doors, some practicality and it I agree that it looks better than the coupe. I wont go into the positives as why you want one because that is mostly subjective and personal preference. Luxury is obvious and the status that you own an M3 are the main reasons people get them coming from a JDM car. Especially the people that do the silly stanced look with them...

So the down side to the M3...
- is that is rear wheel drive.
- maintenance cost (and you should already know). BMWs are expensive to fix and unless you know you're way around them (from owning an E46 previously) I say this is a big factor as what it would keep me from getting one. When that warranty runs out... its big bucks to fix.
-mods even BIGGER MONEY...

If money isn't a big issue to you, than all of this is a moot point and I would probably take the plunge.

I really contemplated on getting the new F80 M3 but after driving one, I can't justify dropping $65k(base model) on it... I am now on the fence as to whether to get another Evo or maybe just a WRX in 2016 when they get a facelift for a fun car.

I have driven several E90 M3s that belong to friends... modded and stock and I can tell you it is night and day compared to an E46. The V8 is much torquier than the old 6 on the E46 and the car handles better overall. Stock the E90 is obviously better being that is newer technology and I always felt my E46 was slow and felt like a tank. My 335i was dropped on coils and I loved the way it handled (on dry payment).

The luxury and nicer ride is what I do miss from them as they were better for practical reasons and for getting around in bad traffic.

Good luck on whatever you decide to get... I would go test drive one and do some research on them as to which years is best to purchase. I am not that familiar with E90/92) M3s since I didn't own one. I always thought the 335i was a better bang for the buck.
I've analyzed it over again over again. And depending on my mood that day, it comes down to three choices. Keep the Evo, Sell the Evo and get the M3, Or sell the Evo, and buy my dad's 335i X-drive and kind get the best of both.

I've heard bad things about venos issues on the E46 M3's. And you're right, At this point, they're all beat up. Even when I looked into them years ago, they had 120k miles, and still went for $20k.

Maintenance is certainly a concern. Tires and brakes especially. It's not going to be cheap. Buying the car, and paying the car payment and insurance is not going to be my struggle. Otherwise, from what I've read, the V8's are very reliable engines with very few issues. I've read the most common issue is simply a bad IAC valve.

In terms of mods, I'd keep it light. Exhaust is a given. That V8 deserves to be as loud as it wants. And just some other simple things. I'd like a good set of sticky tires for it also. Would likely need a second set of wheels. I got over the who, built engine/big turbo, mega amounts of power thing a few years ago. I had plans, but never went through with it after realizing that all I want is a good, well balanced, fun car.

Still the offer from my dad on the 335i is tempting. But it just doesn't given me that same feeling the Evo does, in terms of handling. I'm not sure if the M3 will either, BUT, the M3 has so many other things going for it, that a slight lack in "rawness" will be made up for in other areas.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
My Evo is paid off. And while it's still worth a decent bit of money, It's be worth selling or trading to help with the payment of the M3. I'd absolutely love to keep the Evo an add an M3. I suppose I COULD, but it wouldn't be a wise choice, financially.
whoever said an EVO or M3 are wise financial choices...

go test drive the M3... why bother with a 335i if what you really want is an M3...

and if you wanted to be financially wise you'd be buying a Honda civic DX.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm..this will be bias but...have you ever thought of owning an x? sounds like it'd be the best of both worlds for you. The x isnt nearly as raw as the 8 or 9, but the awd system is amazing and imo its better than the 8 and 9. It has a strong 5 speed gearbox as well, and its a better dd than the 8. Comparing it to an e90 m3..first of all, the x is awd which wins right away..interior, (depending on what package you get on the x) you can get a fully loaded x with leather recaros, heated seats, navi, moon roof and such for less than $45k new, while an e90 m3 will cost you more than that. Also, if you consider an x being cheaper, maybe thatll allow you to keep the 8 as a weekend car and save miles and keep it in mint condition for when they become a lot more uncommon. Obviously this is bias since i own an x, but i have always been a fan of m3's and would love to own one but i would choose my x over an m3 every day. Just my opinion and a thought for you
Old Jan 8, 2015, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Astro_Train
whoever said an EVO or M3 are wise financial choices...

go test drive the M3... why bother with a 335i if what you really want is an M3...

and if you wanted to be financially wise you'd be buying a Honda civic DX.
Getting into a car payment for a car that is expensive on maintenance is also not a finacially wise decision...Specially an M3, which I am guessing will also be a bit more expensive for insurance
Old Jan 9, 2015, 01:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in a similar position before purchasing my evo 8. I had a 2008 sti hatch and test drove 335i, which isn't a m3 i know. I drove a buddy's e46 m3 coupe. None of the cars felt like the way a evo 8/9 feels. For me its the raw driving experience on the evo that i couldn't resist. The sti was more civilized, and the m3 felt great, but didn't compare to the evo. I'm also 28.. I'll eventually buy a more "daily" friendly car in the future to use and hold on to the evo forever. Just my .02
Old Jan 9, 2015, 01:22 AM

I wouldn't do it but if you really don't like your evo then just do what makes you happy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sell evo 8 for E90 M3?