SST Won't Engage Gear and dash going nuts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Won't Engage Gear and dash going nuts

Hey,

Posted on a few forums but haven't had any replies:

===YESTERDAY===

My 2011 Evo X SST (25K miles) suddenly wouldn't engage gear today while trying to pull away from traffic lights. Car was in Normal/Auto and had driven around 15 miles fine before. It appeared the car was in neutral as it was revving freely but not moving.

The dash was going nuts and was flashing up a few messages and rapidly bleeping and flashing CEL but didn't appear to be at a regular interval - it seemed a bit possessed. Messages coming up included "AFS Service Required", "Transmission Service Required", "Slow Down" also came up a while later.

The "Normal" mode (or "D1" - I can't remember now) and also the D on the stick were both flashing rapidly. Changing to Sport or Manual mode made no difference, nor did Reverse.

Recovery came around 90 mins later after car had been off. Same thing happened when attempted to start them. When got home around 2 hours after this first happened the dash has calmed down (no messages but CEL on constant) but I can now drive forward and back normally.

Any thoughts as to what happened? My code reader is broken but will try get hold of one over the weekend.

=====UPDATE=====

I managed to get a code reader last night but only pulling P1637.

Today I took to have alternator and battery checked which appear to be fine, hoping this was a one off I took the car on a hard drive but it quickly developed same fault again however it resolved itself after car was off for around 5 minutes.

I managed to get a brief video of the dash however this time only 1 message was really showing, however it still appears to be going a bit crazy, you can also see the AFS light flashing up briefly. Trying to select Sport mode, it would reset back to normal within a second. Also this time it packed in while at speed and could see the gears changing down but not engaging.

Any ideas what is going on? The car had MOT on Mon/Tuesday and not driven much (less than 10 miles) since this started to happen (after 40 mile drive).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That is a code that means you need a new electronic unit. (technically DTC P1637: EEPROM System (DTC storing malfunction))

If you car is under warranty, make them replace the mechatronic. If they say your warranty is void because whatever, tell them to fix it or you'll sue them. There is no modification whatsoever that could cause this code. Basically it means the electronics in the controller portion of the Mechatronic unit has eaten it. If it is intermittent now, it is only a matter of time until it is permanent.

I have seen NEW mechatronics fail this way after only a couple of months. The only way to fix it is to replace the electronic control module, which is not available separately from Mitsubishi. I sent a new mechatronic to Dodson for one of their customers, and it ate it 6 months later. Mitsubishi wouldn't stand behind that part sale, so I had to send them another electronic module to fix it.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm hoping your wrong and just some strange electrical issue with the battery as the car appears to be out of warranty. I've had the code cleared and will continue driving around my local area and see if it does it again, if it does I'll take to dealer to look at.

On another forum someone also in the UK reported similar issues which went away after replacing battery which otherwise checked out fine when tested.