Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

My Evo X at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Evo X at Sebring

Here's a video of me this past weekend at Sebring International Raceway. What an amazing track!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JGjlZPogdE
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a pretty neat lap timer, which one is it?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
So, is the track that bumpy, or is the camera mount just a bit shaky?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
It's very bumpy. I miss Sebring, I gotta get back down there at some point. Critique wise keep working on smoothness and turn in/braking points. You're a bit early on some and a bit shaky on others. 450 in a 3500lb car isn't exactly the easiest thing to learn on and the aids are hiding most of your mistakes.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrivenFab
That's a pretty neat lap timer, which one is it?
Thats Harrys Lap timer petrol head edition.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
So, is the track that bumpy, or is the camera mount just a bit shaky?
Yea its bumpy. Turn 17 the car skips while turning lol.

Originally Posted by Balrok
It's very bumpy. I miss Sebring, I gotta get back down there at some point. Critique wise keep working on smoothness and turn in/braking points. You're a bit early on some and a bit shaky on others. 450 in a 3500lb car isn't exactly the easiest thing to learn on and the aids are hiding most of your mistakes.
I agree. I do have a lap after that with better and smoother turn in points. What do you mean shaky and what aids are you speaking of? I am braking early to not kill the brakes. With the power and all that weight its really hard on the braking system.

Thanks for the critique, those are the things i look for from others to get better. I had what would have been atleast a 1 sec better lap but was hindered by fuel starvation coming out of turn 1. I will post that video too.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

A couple of times you caught yourself turning in too early so you swung back and then turned in which messed up the track out and then the next two corners, etc etc. It's all in practice. But the car itself has a metric ton of driver aids - SAWD/AYC/EBD/blah. So if this is your first times on track then the X is hiding even more mistakes then you realize. Smooth in our cars isn't hard. Smooth in say an s2k or mustang is another story. If you get the chance to drive something else give it a go to feel the difference.

Depending on your build you may also have some weak points which are making smoothness difficult. Without knowing the rest I'd say bring the power down to the 350 range and work on your grip and brakes.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

A couple of times you caught yourself turning in too early so you swung back and then turned in which messed up the track out and then the next two corners, etc etc. It's all in practice. But the car itself has a metric ton of driver aids - SAWD/AYC/EBD/blah. So if this is your first times on track then the X is hiding even more mistakes then you realize. Smooth in our cars isn't hard. Smooth in say an s2k or mustang is another story. If you get the chance to drive something else give it a go to feel the difference.

Depending on your build you may also have some weak points which are making smoothness difficult. Without knowing the rest I'd say bring the power down to the 350 range and work on your grip and brakes.
Its my second time on that track, Yea my turn in were a bit early at times. My actual problem is braking consistency. I need to get for consistent braking from my car to feel more confident. If i continually change and deep or how early i brake my turn ins suffer. I was pretty smooth behind the wheel.
I believe ppl are confusing smooth and lines as the same thing.

My car is at wastegate pressure making that power.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Smoothness is an operation of the entire corner (brake, gas, steering, angle, lines) so ya keep going and you'll nail that down for that track.

However for power that doesn't tell us much. Wastegate pressure and what a 70mm? Stock turbo isn't gonna make 450 WHP at 17psi. Also suspension and settings as many have beaten that horse to death and can tell you by memory what will work best, if you want to know. For reference I was 340hp and running 2:26's there when I started out.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Smoothness is an operation of the entire corner (brake, gas, steering, angle, lines) so ya keep going and you'll nail that down for that track.

However for power that doesn't tell us much. Wastegate pressure and what a 70mm? Stock turbo isn't gonna make 450 WHP at 17psi. Also suspension and settings as many have beaten that horse to death and can tell you by memory what will work best, if you want to know. For reference I was 340hp and running 2:26's there when I started out.
Its a modified stock turbo. wastegate pressure is 24 psi (aftermarket)

Suspension: Flatout Suspension 5700 coilovers (1 way, rebound) 10k F 11k R, Eibach F&R sways, whiteline roll center, rear camber arms and rear endlinks, dme toe arm.
Front: -2.2 camber .03 toe in
Rear: -1.5 camber .02 toe out

Brakes: Carbotech xp10 F xp8 R, MR rotors F stoptech R, SSB brake line, brake ducting, was using motul, switched to RT700 today.

Car weighs about 3750-3800 with me in it.

Do you have a video of you at sebring? what tires were you running and what does the car weigh?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

RT700 supp. is good stuff, may want to jump up on the carbo's to 12's or 20's with your weight if you're experiencing glazing or fade still even after the fluid swap. Camber can also increase as you get more seat time and more sticky tires. You deff need a diet on that thing to take pressure off of everything, with that power and that weight you'll just burn through the consumables.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...You deff need a diet on that thing to take pressure off of everything, with that power and that weight you'll just burn through the consumables.

Totally agree. One of the best things you can do to these cars if you're going to start tracking them heavily is weight reduction. I dropped almost 300 lbs from stock (I'm currently at the lowest allowable weight in my class) and have noticed a huge difference not only in performance, but also in things like tire and brake pad wear. I feel like my tires take longer to get greasy and I can get more heat cycles out of them. Also, while we're talking about Carbotechs, my experience has been that even the XP12's don't stand up to a stock weight EVO very well. Not unless you have some efficient brake cooling. I can get away with them on slower tracks (such as LRP with only one threshold braking zone), but at WGI I will start to get splotchy pad deposits on the front from overheating the pad if I'm not careful.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xBoostx
Thats Harrys Lap timer petrol head edition.
You can also add a bluetooth OBDII dongle to Harry's Lap Timer and really make your videos cool. I use the one by GoPoint.

Also, if you can afford it, a nice GoPro or Sony Action cam really makes the video smooth over the phone camera. I use a Sony Action cam here too.

Harry's is an incredibly powerful app and he keeps adding new things all the time.

Here is an example...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

RT700 supp. is good stuff, may want to jump up on the carbo's to 12's or 20's with your weight if you're experiencing glazing or fade still even after the fluid swap. Camber can also increase as you get more seat time and more sticky tires. You deff need a diet on that thing to take pressure off of everything, with that power and that weight you'll just burn through the consumables.
Originally Posted by TTBEvoX
Totally agree. One of the best things you can do to these cars if you're going to start tracking them heavily is weight reduction. I dropped almost 300 lbs from stock (I'm currently at the lowest allowable weight in my class) and have noticed a huge difference not only in performance, but also in things like tire and brake pad wear. I feel like my tires take longer to get greasy and I can get more heat cycles out of them. Also, while we're talking about Carbotechs, my experience has been that even the XP12's don't stand up to a stock weight EVO very well. Not unless you have some efficient brake cooling. I can get away with them on slower tracks (such as LRP with only one threshold braking zone), but at WGI I will start to get splotchy pad deposits on the front from overheating the pad if I'm not careful.
Yea i just moved to GLOC R18 Front and R10 rears. Cant wait to test them out!

What are some of the stuff you guys did to get weight down? Besides buying expensive lightweight parts LOL

Originally Posted by steinvb12
You can also add a bluetooth OBDII dongle to Harry's Lap Timer and really make your videos cool. I use the one by GoPoint.

Also, if you can afford it, a nice GoPro or Sony Action cam really makes the video smooth over the phone camera. I use a Sony Action cam here too.

Harry's is an incredibly powerful app and he keeps adding new things all the time.
Thats a nice setup.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steinvb12

Here is an example...
https://youtu.be/p1hZ21BJLFU
Hey so i was wondering how you got this set up, is it with this go point? http://gopointtech.com/product/gopoint-drive/

Also how did you overlay the data to the go pro video? or is that on a cellphone?
Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
this looks pretty awesome, are the rpms, throttle and hp numbers actually accurate?