Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: What would you choose?
Ohlins R&T
78.33%
AST 5100
5.00%
Motion Control singles
6.67%
Penske
0%
Something else in this price range - post up in the thread
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

$2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Ah then cant go wrong with off the shelf. Again stiffer spring in the rear.
X has a different motion ratio in the rear than the 7/8/9 so doesnt need such stiff spring..
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
Thank you to ALL so far who've posted up. There's a lot to think about. I also have read through the "Coilover questions" thread a month or two ago, but I'm revisiting it to try and digest more info the 2nd time around!

I do plan on going to Lincoln from time to time this year, but the lot that I normally autocross in has some pretty harsh areas/bumps. It's far from being completely smooth. Enough to make the higher sprung cars pay for it, and the under sprung cars bottom out their suspension travel and bounce their way out of the rough patches. It's going to be crucial to find the right spring rates.

On my previous evo/AST 4100 setup I was at 10kg Front and 11kg Rear with an adjustable Whiteline rear bar. Normally would run on 255mm street tires. This time around with the 285's I was thinking 12kg/14kg...but I'm hoping it's not too much for this lot!

If indeed that is true about the AST's having twice the travel of the Ohlins, that may have an impact on my purchase decision. Or isn't it THAT big of a deal if the car is sprung as high of rates as I'm leaning towards?

I think rough is a matter of perspective. The fairgrounds in SF is much smoother than the lots I ran in the EIRSCCA. I personally don't think you would need the extra travel and would be fine in either the Ohlins or AST's given the local courses, not sure about Nat'ls. When I had my X, I was running 10k/12k KW Clubsports that had been done by Robispec (No one should ever do business with him). Even those spring rates were a little much, but I was on 245's. I don't know if I would go all the way up to 12k/14k even with 285's but that's just me.

PS - I drove the gray/blue E36 328is for a few events at the fairgrounds and worked a station with you a couple times. I recognized the supra in your profile pic.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Two seasons with MCS doubles and pretty happy with them. Singles have the same bodies as what I have on mine, which means you could upgrade at any point by addition of the external canisters (doubles or triples). Support from Lex is great and I am looking forward to keep working with them!

Plus, I daily drive my car and it is way better than OEM Bilsteins. I do have to run with stock springs and you can feel the difference between the units!

As of the Ohlins, I did considered them at the start, but having changes in compression when you adjust rebound was not something I wanted to have. I even found a shop that would minimize the compression changes, but that required additional re-valving, so I went with MCS instead!

Since the Penske were mentioned above, I have not run their singles. But, triples that I have for my 2G are the best mod I have ever done to any of my cars. Period! If I could have got those, I would heavily considered them. But Ankeny Racing wasn't making struts as they do now, so MCS it is!

Last edited by MrAWD; Feb 20, 2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
look what showed up today at my office

Name:  20170220_155046_zpszh7cxpvt.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  2.31 MB

Name:  20170220_155100_zpsmuddzzeu.jpg
Size:  2.72 MB

Name:  20170220_155127_zpsorragoqj.jpg
Size:  3.01 MB
Old Feb 21, 2017, 05:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ohlins DFV with 14k/12k HyperCo springs were the best upgrade to my Evo I did. Loved it.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

So I unpacked the Ohlins , and for the Price it is a stunning quality. I saw many many coils in my life , and for that price range the quality the material and the show case packaging is unparalleled.
I was not expected this for $2300 ( I got it for less but that doesn't matter here)

Sunday hope fully will be my first drive around on these. So far I am super happy with my purchase. Also looks like, they have some kind of teflon coating on them. I am not sure if I did see that on the earlier editions.

here some fast snapped pictures of the unpacking.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 23, 2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 06:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
They look so great when new. But let me know when you want to add some one off top hats to them like I made for Evolutionary
Attached Thumbnails ,000 - ,000 Coilovers.  Let's discuss.-custom-top-hats.jpg  
Old Feb 23, 2017, 05:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Nsomniac
I think rough is a matter of perspective. The fairgrounds in SF is much smoother than the lots I ran in the EIRSCCA. I personally don't think you would need the extra travel and would be fine in either the Ohlins or AST's given the local courses, not sure about Nat'ls. When I had my X, I was running 10k/12k KW Clubsports that had been done by Robispec (No one should ever do business with him). Even those spring rates were a little much, but I was on 245's. I don't know if I would go all the way up to 12k/14k even with 285's but that's just me.

PS - I drove the gray/blue E36 328is for a few events at the fairgrounds and worked a station with you a couple times. I recognized the supra in your profile pic.

Small world!

For the most part, yes, the lot in SF isn't bad, but there are definitely areas in the west lot that can make things interesting. More so in the northern section of that lot. Other than that, we're pretty lucky having an area to play on, that large!

I concur about the Robispec situation. I absolutely LOATHED my Robi KW clubsports for my old evo. It was enough to turn me away from KW completely.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
They look so great when new. But let me know when you want to add some one off top hats to them like I made for Evolutionary

Those look pretty sweet!!!

I did pick up an evo this past week. Flew in to Florida and put over 2,000 miles on her on the way back. Taking her through the Tail of the Dragon a couple times was downright fun!

Now it's time to order up the wheels and finally decide on coilovers. I truly appreciate all of the responses so far!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 04:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
When I got my Ohlins I was so excited with how pretty they were. Used lots of painters tape during install to avoid nicking them with tools. Haha.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 06:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
When I got my Ohlins I was so excited with how pretty they were. Used lots of painters tape during install to avoid nicking them with tools. Haha.
I feel like that is something that I would do as well.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
Small world!

For the most part, yes, the lot in SF isn't bad, but there are definitely areas in the west lot that can make things interesting. More so in the northern section of that lot. Other than that, we're pretty lucky having an area to play on, that large!

I concur about the Robispec situation. I absolutely LOATHED my Robi KW clubsports for my old evo. It was enough to turn me away from KW completely.

Those look pretty sweet!!!

I did pick up an evo this past week. Flew in to Florida and put over 2,000 miles on her on the way back. Taking her through the Tail of the Dragon a couple times was downright fun!

Now it's time to order up the wheels and finally decide on coilovers. I truly appreciate all of the responses so far!
very cool! let me know if you ever decide to go aftermarket wing and sell yours...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Has anybody heard of or run Supashock suspension (through shaft damper) They have been making quite a name for them selves in Australian super car racing, I also Spoke to Catford racing across the pond and they said they have had huge success with their evo 9 and they like 10k/10k spring rates on factory bars.

http://supashock.com/aftermarket-suspension/

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...661ae6117abf5c

( I currently use Ohlins DFV with swift 8k/9k springs which I LOVE)
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

The following users liked this post:
Steveevo9 (Nov 14, 2018)
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

So pretty!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Just a tid bit to confirm how awesome the Ohlins are... While out cruising around with a frined yesterday (he has an Evo X on stance coilovers), he could literally see how much better my car worked in bumpy corners vs his car by just following me, and watching the tires follow the road imperfections, all while bouncing all over the place in his car and fighting it to maintain a line...lol

Quick Reply: $2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.