Notices

Evo X Wheels on Outlander Sport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoNoob00
good point, so I would argue the weight difference (rotational mass) would help alleviate this...

I'm under the assumption the Enkie GSR wheels are significantly lighter then the OS stocks. But I don't have exact weight numbers.

You mentioned earlier in this thread that the EVO wheel is 22 lbs per piece. It seems reasonable if one looks at the exact masses/weights of several Enkei wheels here:
http://measurespeed.com/enkei-rims-wheel-weight

In this forum below, there are quite bit of variations posted for the wights:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21769
Poster at post #10 claims he measured the Enkei and BBS wheels and got 22.3 and 20.5 lbs, respectively.
I did not find information about the weight of the 18" stock wheel yet.
The OEM 16" 10-spoke wheel ( 16x6.5, ET 46), what I have for summers (also made by Enkei) is only 18 lbs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-2010-201...Model%3ALancer.
On the other hand, the Lancer's 16" 5-spoke wheel (exact same parameters: 16x6.5, ET 46) with the thicker spokes weighs 21 lbs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Mitsubi...Model%3ALancer
Design makes a difference. It does not look to me though that the Enkei EVO wheel would be significantly lighter than the stock (18") OS Enkei wheel. I will keep looking for data, since only measurement can tell.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

It appears that one of the 18" Enkei stock wheels 18x7 ET 46, which was also mounted on some Lancers has a weight of 23 lbs according to folks from the Lancer forum (see post #1)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...fo-thread.html
I suspect it must be the wheel that was standard on the SE trim for the 2011 OS (10 spoke).
This data suggests that the EVO Enkei wheel (8.5" wide) has nearly the same weight as the stock (7" wide).
Take home message: Given the definition of rotational mass/moment of inertia, from performance or fuel economy point of view it is disadvantageous to mount EVO Enkei wheels on the OS.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
its the same wheel used on the lancer, I ran the evo x wheels on my OS but I also didn't stick to stock tire size, I used a 235/40 and as far as im concerned it did make a huge difference in the feel of the car and how it drove, I can tell you that the stock 225/55 makes the whole wheel setup heavier. and also from a performance standpoint most people wont also stick to the oem tire size as well
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nast_Nas
its the same wheel used on the lancer, I ran the evo x wheels on my OS but I also didn't stick to stock tire size, I used a 235/40 and as far as im concerned it did make a huge difference in the feel of the car and how it drove, I can tell you that the stock 225/55 makes the whole wheel setup heavier. and also from a performance standpoint most people wont also stick to the oem tire size as well
I do not wish to argue for or against the feel (handling), namely how the car drives when equipped with an alternative wheel/tire package. I would generally yield to the opinion of those who actually tried this setup.
However, the 225/55 18" tire mounted on the 18x7 stock wheel together cannot be heavier (more importantly cannot have higher moment of inertia) than the 235/40 18" tire mounted on the EVO's 18x8.5 (Enkei) wheel. This claim would be an "alternative fact" using a recently invented phrase elsewhere. Both the wheel and the tire are wider thus, even with equal total masses, more mass is located at the furthest from the axes of rotation in the wider setup. This should result in less available torque to propel the car forward in the EVO setup than the stock setup and increase the unsprung weight (see later).
As far as handling is concerned, most people (including journalists) look only the lateral responsiveness (cornering) when assessing this attribute. By reducing the unsprung mass at the wheels, the vertical stability of the car becomes better. The lighter wheel/tire assembly is the less force is required to move it and it can react faster to the bumps, potholes (allowing the suspension to do its job). This results in a safer and smoother ride. Low profile tires and wider wheels will result in harsher ride, and can bounce off from an uneven road easier. They will not produce constant grip in such conditions. If your state has super even roads then the handling could be better with a wider/low profile tires but if you have potholes than it could even be more dangerous besides sacrificing ride quality.
Everything one changes in the stock setup is a give AND take and not just one or the other. I think we all can agree that comprehensive analysis requires addressing both the pros and the cons of the modifications people pursue.
I am not in a position to evaluate the choices people make and do not wish to offend anyone by shedding light to the other side of the coin.
Update:
BTW here is a site where one can see the weights of various custom wheels (pictures with wheels on scale):
http://www.the370z.com/wheels-tires/...ht-thread.html

Last edited by AWCAWD; Feb 14, 2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: update: inserted link to wheel weight info
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you check out my profile on Facebook, you'll see it. I have a photo album dedicated to the car with multiple pictures.