Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on this milestone!

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Sep 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Resurrected RA
Congrats on this milestone!
thanks bud
Old Sep 6, 2014, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

One thing that forgot to mention is that the stock fuel filler neck needed to be removed as it was directly in the way of the Outlander crossmember.

Initially my plan was to use the EVO 9 fuel tank, but I think I will just use a fuel cell now (the Outlander fuel tank with the saddle hump like the EVO tank doesn't fit. Might be worth just going with a fuel cell rather than risking the EVO one not fitting either). Does anyone have any recommendations for a fuel cell? Will be use the EVO fuel hanger and EVO sender unit.

Last edited by doncarbone; Sep 6, 2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

where the car is going to sit for a few months, at least, while the following takes place:
  • wait for EVO 5spd transmission to ship to TRE
  • green light the purchase of an 04 EVO RS t-case, also to be sent to TRE
  • wait for Jon@TRE to do wizard things at his shop
  • get the transmission and transfer case into the car
  • momentarily check to see if an EVO rear diff Josh@mitsuorder (who pioneered the 4G69 EVO) sent me will bolt up to the Outlander crossmember
  • confirm the measurements of the custom driveshaft needed (Driveshaft Shop) - depends if the EVO rear diff fits..it might.
  • measure how much shorter the front EVO axles will need to be made (Driveshaft Shop), also send out, if necessary, the Outlander rear axles to have them rebuilt stronger as well.

Once all this is done, the car will be on the road again to be tested. Following any tweaks or changes, it'll be time to tackle the head swap.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-lyhkw5p.jpg

this picture makes Canada look tropical lol (be assured it is far from it )

Last edited by doncarbone; Jan 7, 2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this thread several months ago and chrome crashed and wouldn't let me restore my tabs.

I believe you did a fantastic job and I'm definitely looking forward to more updates :3
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

i am wondering if maybe i should break out the AWD and DOHC head swap stuff into a new thread?

if anyone ever wants to do an AWD swap (if they are as crazy as me), it'd be easier to find if the thread title had details about AWD conversion
Old Sep 18, 2014, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doncarbone
i am wondering if maybe i should break out the AWD and DOHC head swap stuff into a new thread?

if anyone ever wants to do an AWD swap (if they are as crazy as me), it'd be easier to find if the thread title had details about AWD conversion
I think that would be a grand idea!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:47 AM

I'd make a new thread as well.
It'll also be a lot cleaner that way too.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

k i will do this, then maybe down the road another for the DOHC head swap
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

decided finally to create that AWD thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...r-evo-9-a.html

i'll be updating progress on the awd swap on that thread now
Old Nov 14, 2014, 03:00 PM

Hey man just finished reading all 19 pages, interested in doing this swap to my 06 es when I get around to having cash (college student), have had my whip for 6 years now. My swap would cost alot less $$ because I am highly trained in automotive, and have high performance engine building and tuning training, as well. I will probably even BLUEPRINT my engine. Great stuff congrats. I'm also very curious in the evo head swapping:

-Some people claim that the evo head isn't much different, but its just the opportunities it gives you because there are alot higher quality options for AFTERMARKET evo heads, as well as exhaust mani, intake mani, TB bore sizing, CAI, and upgraded cams.

-If you did this swap, wouldn't it force you to go turbo? Since all EVO head extension parts are built exclusively for turbo? Thats my main concern. I don't want to go turbo because that severly reduced your daily driver-ability.

BTW. Capt. Hindsight...It would have taken about $10 and 20 mins of your time to fix that oil leak-just needed a new valve cover gasket from the looks of it- have done 3 of those on my car already, common failure- that caused you to start this project, just saying lmao
Old Nov 14, 2014, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jimbowned
Hey man just finished reading all 19 pages, interested in doing this swap to my 06 es when I get around to having cash (college student), have had my whip for 6 years now. My swap would cost alot less $$ because I am highly trained in automotive, and have high performance engine building and tuning training, as well. I will probably even BLUEPRINT my engine. Great stuff congrats. I'm also very curious in the evo head swapping:
Given your supposed experience then, it should be a very simple swap. The expensive aspect though comes from parts -- you'll need quite a bit, but the 4G69/Ralliart parts are easily 50% the cost of any EVO 8/9 parts. I paid very, very little as far as labor was concerned as I did a lot myself and the mechanic who helped me is a friend.

-Some people claim that the evo head isn't much different, but its just the opportunities it gives you because there are alot higher quality options for AFTERMARKET evo heads, as well as exhaust mani, intake mani, TB bore sizing, CAI, and upgraded cams.
Nope, not much different really, bolts up to the 4G69/4 blocks no problem, just has DOHC cams, a more robust valvetrain and of course plenty more aftermarket options as you mentioned.

-If you did this swap, wouldn't it force you to go turbo? Since all EVO head extension parts are built exclusively for turbo? Thats my main concern. I don't want to go turbo because that severly reduced your daily driver-ability.
Yup that's basically why I wanted to do it - turbo + many opened doorways.

BTW. Capt. Hindsight...It would have taken about $10 and 20 mins of your time to fix that oil leak-just needed a new valve cover gasket from the looks of it- have done 3 of those on my car already, common failure- that caused you to start this project, just saying lmao
That motor was never destined for much more. It had about 300,000km on it the day it was swapped out, and I never wanted to build the 4G94 anyway - my wanting to do the swap had nothing to do with the leaks and misc. issues from high mileage on the original motor. The 4G6 'Sirius' line offers so many more options for modification which is the platform I wanted to get into so that's why I went with the 4G69.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Don, sent pm. Check it out when you get a chance.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome build. Have you considered putting the exterior back to the OEM OZ Ralli look? I think it would really help to show how one of a kind the car is instead of being confused with just another Evo.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilentCool
Hey Don, sent pm. Check it out when you get a chance.
yep got it, going to take some time and reply for you this afternoon

Originally Posted by blooo
Awesome build. Have you considered putting the exterior back to the OEM OZ Ralli look? I think it would really help to show how one of a kind the car is instead of being confused with just another Evo.
I did think about that actually; the car does look like it's trying to be an EVO. My plans going forward to differentiate the vehicle from a typical EVO:
  • fender flares (240Z or Subi style) for a wide wheel
  • CSL style Seibon trunk lid (no spoiler)

I think these will make it look a little less try-hard and they're practical changes to the exterior.

Going back to stock OZ would be a pain now as I threw out the front and back bumpers (regret that now as I could have at least sold them), and the front fiberglass bumper I currently have does create more space for a larger IC core.

Quick Reply: doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap