Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

mitsuorder's 4g69 experiment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mitsuorder's 4g69 experiment

Let me start this off with the fact that this is an experiment. I began with wanting to push the Evolution IX Mivec head/4g69 block combo to the limits so as to provide information on a potential option to the community. Huge advocate of sharing information, the good, the bad, the ugly. Hiding it does nothing for any of us.

With that said here is my 6466 4g69 build. Heading out of the country in October for a while so wrapping it all up this month. It is not running yet but everything is here. Been a lot of planning, looking at what was available, and simply wanting to do things right. Least competitive person you'll ever meet so check the machismo neanderthal stuff at the door please

I will be updating this and answering any question to be had. Have held off on putting it all up as I didn't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction since nothing has fired, run, or blown up as of yet haha. But seriously though guys, this is an experiment. I did it because I wanted to see what would happen with this iron block if you pushed it with a build that has had no real limit, within reason, or deadline. So here are the pics.

4g69 out of an '05 Ralliart which had hydrolocked from a cai.

Supposedly the lightest 100mm crank Mitsu had made up to that point in time. Let's see when she lets go.

I wanted to test fit the old ix block's water pump before ordering anything for sure. Evolution VIII and IX water pumps fit this block like a glove. No spacer or modification needed.

Cosworth h11 tapered tip head studs

As per their instructions a torque angle gauge was required for sequencing. For anyone who has used these or is considering so that is a LOT of torque.

Prob the same h11 tapered that everyone else sells but with some laser etching. Got a deal on them and felt like being a brand ***** one night.

Figured why risk reusing lifters that have debris in them and why not finally upgrade to see if lifter tick could be alleviated a bit. Snagged some ITM big bores.

Since I was deleting the balance shafts I saw no reason to keep the associated gear. Replaced it with what I believe is the crankshaft sprocket/spacer from a 1.8. Mitsubishi part# MD128107 from the great guys over at www.Mitsubishiparts.net

The original piece.

Went with the Tomei oil scraper for the crank. Verified fitment with a 100mm crank. At least the oem 4g69 piece. Thank you Touge Factory.

This was one of those parts that I was definitely not expecting to be so impressed with. Very well made, heavy duty piece.

Gaskets and all oem assembly items provided by www.Mitsubishiparts.net

Had some 87.5mm Platinum Series 9.5:1 pistons made by Manley when I ordered the 150mm I beams. Yes, I went .20 over an 87mm bore to clean things up. The world is going to implode while the baby Jesus cries at me. Again, let's see what this block can take.

Went with Power Enterprises for the head gasket.

This is an excellent choice for this head/block combo as it fits them very well along with taking full advantage of the IX head and 4g69's large coolant passages.

The extent of my photographic skill.

Head consisting of Ferrea 6000 series factory sized valves, Ferrea manganese copper intake and copper alloy exhaust valve guides, Viton seals, Kiggly steel base washers, springs/titanium retainers, hla, and factory locks/keepers. Cams are Kelford 9-TX280, 280 intake/276 exhaust.

Massaged the combustion chambers a bit for the 87.mm bore.

Tapped and plugged the egr port on the head for good measure.

Pretty Kiggly hydraulic lash adjuster.

Magnus v.5 cast intake manifold.

Cleaned up some of the casting marks on the inside.

This is the necessary modification needed if wanting to run a Full Blown 70mm throttle body with the Magnus v.5 along with opening the adapter plate up to match the throttle body's inner diameter.

Magnus fuel rail

That should do...

Full Blown 70mm cast throttle body. Thanks to the guys at MaPerformance

In particular I like the factory like placement of the iac valve on this t/b.

ID 2000's from Mr. Palo himself. Repinned the clips instead of using patches to avoid any vibration related incidents...

A whole mess of Full Blown fittings for the fuel system.

All flow formed on the inside.

Utilizing factory feed line as my return line. Earl's -6 to factory adapter.

Magnafuel 4303 up next to Walbro 255.

Magnafuel 74 micron pre and 24 micron post stainless steel element fuel filters next to dual relays.

Russell ProClassic II -10 for tank to pump, -8 for pump to rail, and -6 for return. I like this stuff because it's nylon braided on the outside so as not to chew through everything with a substructure of braided stainless on the inside to give it great strength in tight radius bends.

Gutted factory pump hanger. -10 pickup.

Was worried about overflow issues from the small id of the pick up fitting.

So will test this modified one out. Either way I'm running an Aeromotive 16306 fuel pump speed controller so problem easily solved.
(Factory siphon fitting absolutely would not work with the amount this pump flows anyway. Ditched it in favor of a Magnafuel Y and a -10 pickup in the passenger side of the fuel tank.)

Fuel system class pic!

All assembled at 75 *F

No more balance shafts so thought I'd utilize the front crank case hole for drainback of the catch can system. -6 fitting. Let's see if it does any good.

Setrab 625 oil cooler setup with all -10 line/fittings.

Inside shot of the Setrab.

Precision Turbo 6466 bb.

Function7 -10 oil drain fitting.

Vibrant VanJen clamp for ic pipe to throttle body connection, 3.5" v-band clamps, flex section, race muffler, resonators, and u-bends for down pipe/exhaust system.

That moment when you realize how little the 3.5" components are actually probably going to do to reduce the sound lol.

Fresh AEM wideband sensor, 0-100psi fuel pressure sensor, and 5 bar map. Thanks to Steve over at GetPowerHouse.

SCE copper exaust manifold and t3 turbo gaskets. Let's see if they hold up to the heat.

Sparktech non-cdi sequential conversion harness. Thanks Craig!

-6 fitting for front of crank case.

Driveshaft Shop driveshaft. Steve over at GetPowerHouse is your man for any and all things DSS.

Treated myself to something I've been inexplicably wanting for a very long time

VHT Flameproof ceramic coated oil pan.

Used the same coating for my valve cover baked at home and was really pleased with the results for someone who has the artistic talent of a drunken five year old.

New Magnus reusable stainless steel media oil filter. Courtesy of Magnus Motorsports themselves.

Precision Turbo v-band 6466 with .82 a/r housing.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Vajen clamps in place on the 6466 and Full Blown throttle body.

Turbo, throttle body, and 3-3.5" downpipe to v-band exhaust transition.

Close up of downpipe to exhaust transition.

Vanjens fittings.

Toxicfab manifold collector.

Close up of collector welds.

Closer up lol.

Some port work shots of the collector.

Teardrop priority wastegate setup.

Assembled and welded. More like art I swear...

Collin actually said today that these welds have turned out to be some of the best he has ever done. It goes without saying that I'm honored to have his work going on my car

They say the formative years are the most important...

Completed manifold

o2 housing

Everything fitted to the engine with ToxicFab slash cut hood exit wastegate dump tube

Upper intercooler pipes with Vanjen goodness.

The gratitude for the patience required of Collin to do this is immeasurable.

TiAL Q flange welded up. Great shot Toxic!

Lower intercooler pipe is complete

ToxicFab v2 catch can is up!

Collin just finished porting the manifold.

Finished kit!

Full kit with downpipe.

Laying dimes even on the logo!

Titanium cam sensor shield. I ran into a wall at Lowe's while walking and looking a this pic on my phone today lol.

There will be more pics coming very soon as the car is finally wrapping up. These are just parts gathered over the past two years to give you an idea of what is going on in my head. Ask away, try to stay cool/respectful to one another/maybe even me and let's see if this thing doesn't just do something neat

e85 at 39 psi and dyno vid:

mitsuorder

Last edited by mitsuorder; Sep 21, 2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: adding photos
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy crap this is epic good job so far
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hey I really appreciate it man
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

nice to see it all laid out like this. anxious.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:20 PM

This is a crazy build excited to see how this turns out.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

quite awesome, can't wait to see the results..
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Sweet build you have going so far. I can't wait to see what it'll do.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely looks like some time was spent doing your home work. Looks like everything will look great in the end and I'm sure you'll get some good results as well.

Good luck with everything
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow your build is awesome! I really enjoyed going through that first post!!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Looks great. Really like seeing what you are doing with the 4g69. So what rod size are you running? Also did I read that this is a 100mm crank in stock form? Did you happen to weigh it? What are your RPM goals?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested in the results of the 4G69, great job thus far!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
very nice...you did not mention it, but did you opt to have oil squirters installed in the block? the passage is there, you just need to tap into it...what's the PTW with those pistons? and 9.5 is stock compression, i can't wait to see what this thing can do...

I rev mine to 7200.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thank you again to everyone for your support and kind words. Fighting a fever right now so let me try and address everything asked.

I'm running a 150mm Manley I beam. The crank is the oem 4g69 100mm crank from Mitsubishi. I did not weigh it unfortunately but am sure with the relative ease of availability of these blocks finding one to compare to that out of a 4g64 would not be difficult.

With the rod/stroke ratio of 1.5:1 I'll prob only be taking the engine up to 8000 rpm. Didn't tap the block for oil squirters. Just a personal choice in regards to keeping things simple. I'd be lying if I told you I knew the ptw clearance of the pistons. Could ask my machine shop if they still have the info. Stock compression is 8.8:1 I believe so 9.5:1 seemed to be a nice in between.

All that I lack to assemble the car is the exhaust manifold and it's being finished up as I type. Will be a weekend assembly/exhaust/charge pipes/tune event at my friends fabrication/tuning facility. Hoping to have it all wrapped up this month before I take off.

Keep 'em coming,
mitsuorder
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sorry, I was thinking 4g63 cr.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:38 AM

Great write up and build. Thank you for the information on where to get some parts.

Quick Reply: mitsuorder's 4g69 experiment