Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO IX Cosworth Cam Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO IX Cosworth Cam Dyno Results

Today i walked in THE SHOP...

base run was 299awhp with 306ft-lbs with 23psi spike with my eflash.

Al custom tuned the car and after four passes we dialed 324awhp and 322ft-lbs spiking at 22psi and tappering at around 17psi in the redline

Installing the Cosworth cams and ARP head stud kit the car started up like stock and was idleing without touching it. A bir lumpy, i mean you can tell there are cams in the engine but nothing extreme...

The car on the dyno, Al did his magic tricks and we left it at 337awhp and 340ft-lbs with 22psi spike and tappering at around 17psi at the redline.

Gas used straight 93 octane.

The car mods are:
- Hallman boost controller
- Apexi Power Intake
- Perrin downpipe
- Ultimate Racing High Flow Cat
- Invidia G200 catback exhaust
- Walbro fuell pump
- ARP head stud kit
- Cosworth mivec camshafts
- Greddy Type-RS blow off valve

Then we decided to see how it would react on a race/pump gas mix. On about half a tank of 93 we filled 3 gallons of C16 and turned the boost...

Spiking at 30psi and having a leak from the Bov due to its 22-23psi adjustment (we didn't stiffen the spring) the car did 373awhp and 422ft-lbs... By the rev limit boost was down at around 21psi.

Basically everyone told me to lose the cat. On the 93 run i am at least 10awhp down and probably even more on the high boost setup... We 'll see...

The cam installation and tuning was made at THE SHOP. The guys are amazing, very proffesional and very friendly. They really know their s#*% and they can work on the Evos with their eyes closed.

Note that the dyno is a Dyno Dynamics.... To show the difference between the DD and a Dynojet, with the exact same setup that i did the 299, i dynoed the car on a Dynojet at 329... The guys at the shop told me that their DD shows 12% less than a Dynojet, which is verified by the dynorun that i had on the Dynojet... now do the math...

Jimmy and the guys thank you.
Big Al thank you too man. The car is AMAZING to drive. on the highway it feels just like stock until you press the gas pedal. The car flies....

i will post the dyno sheets tomorrow...

Last edited by kouzman; Jan 13, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Flamesuit, check.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

Congrats on the numbers John enjoy the beast
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kouzman
Today i walked in THE SHOP...

base run was 299awhp with 306ft-lbs with 23psi spike with my eflash.

Al custom tuned the car and after four passes we dialed 324awhp and 322ft-lbs spiking at 22psi and tappering at around 17psi in the redline

Installing the Cosworth cams and ARP head stud kit the car started up like stock and was idleing without touching it. A bir lumpy, i mean you can tell there are cams in the engine but nothing extreme...

The car on the dyno, Al did his magic tricks and we left it at 337awhp and 340ft-lbs with 22psi spike and tappering at around 17psi at the redline.

Gas used straight 93 octane.

The car mods are:
- Hallman boost controller
- Apexi Power Intake
- Perrin downpipe
- Ultimate Racing High Flow Cat
- Invidia G200 catback exhaust
- Walbro fuell pump
- ARP head stud kit
- Cosworth mivec camshafts
- Greddy Type-RS blow off valve

Then we decided to see how it would react on a race/pump gas mix. On about half a tank of 93 we filled 3 gallons of C16 and turned the boost...

Spiking at 30psi and having a leak from the Bov due to its 22-23psi adjustment (we didn't stiffen the spring) the car did 373awhp and 422ft-lbs... By the rev limit boost was down at around 21psi.

The cam installation and tuning was made at THE SHOP. The guys are amazing, very proffesional and very friendly. They really know their s#*% and they can work on the Evos with their eyes closed.

Note that the dyno is a Dyno Dynamics.... To show the difference between the DD and a Dynojet, with the exact same setup that i did the 299, i dynoed the car on a Dynojet at 329... The guys at the shop told me that their DD shows 12% less than a Dynojet, which is verified by the dynorun that i had on the Dynojet... now do the math...

Jimmy and the guys thank you.
Big Al thank you too man. The car is AMAZING to drive. on the highway it feels just like stock until you press the gas pedal. The car flies....

i will post the dyno sheets tomorrow...

Thanks for the great review

The Cosworth cams have continued to really impress us.

While on the IX we are not seeing quite as large a gain with cams as we saw on the VIII's I think this is becuase the IX is very good at bringing the 2.0L Mivec motor with 16G up to the threshold of what it can support on pump gas. The cams dont do as dramatic a gain as on the VIII but they do make significant gains all through the power band. I would note that any other mod, such as a FMIC or a O2 housing would also make less power gains on a IX as well being that the IX with just a intake and an exhaust is able to get up over 300 whp with such ease.

On race gas or with alcohol the gains are greater, as I would expect they would be larger with a bigger turbo.

To begin we do another base line on this car - it previously had a base line with a Jestr e flash at our dyno day and it made similar numbers today. It was dialed in well for a base flash.

I did not care for the Mivec mapping and adjusted it and netted some more power with a loss of a bit spool up in the low end.

This was all done on the stock cams - note this customer has a high flow cat which typically costs about 10- 12 whp in my experience.

Next we installed head studs and a set of Cosworth cams and did some dyno tuning for the new cams (the car needed a lot more fuel right away)

This is the final PUMP gas - stock cams vs cosworth cams

Finally, we poured in a few gallons of race gas and turned up the boost to 30 psi peak (note bov was adjusted to loose and opened during pass) the car made nice gains on the same pump gas mapping

In conclusion, I am very pleased with the "feel" of the Cosworth cams on IX's I have tuned. While they dont seem to make the 25 - 30 whp gains we have expected from cams in a stock turbo VIII - they do make nice signifcantg gains through the power band.

NOTE - Cosworth cams require significant MIVEC mapping adjustment to realize any gains on a IX.

AL

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jan 13, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

interesting...so would how would you expect these cams to react to a bigger turbo like a 3065 or 35r???
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ries
interesting...so would how would you expect these cams to react to a bigger turbo like a 3065 or 35r???

As may be gatherd from this and other posts I have made I dont like to speculate - I prefer to test!

I am sure we will have more results as others try out cams on IX's

Al
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:44 AM

cams

AL i see great low end gains ,correct me if wrong, almost 70 hp at 3400 is that possable , i am thinking of getting the cams and evo green,also would his boost taper relate to his power drop off after5000 rpm?? thanks you tuned my red 9 last week at BR, i am thinking that the green and cos cams ,with my existing meth ill be a lot flatter up top, thanks again for doing a great job on my car, dean
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

cossworth is the SH!@!!!!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

hmm...
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

so made 13 more horsepower with the cossi cams than standard.

not that great huh...for the money you spending
is it worth it??
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Seems like normal cam gains to me. But your car is making good power. You need to get rid of that Cat.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

It nice to see some numbers from a IX with cams. It looks like a good amount of torque is gained from adding the cams.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

I would have to say 11hp is not worth a $1000-(cams & install)...
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Whoop_ass
so made 13 more horsepower with the cossi cams than standard.

not that great huh...for the money you spending
is it worth it??
If you have a IX - the best bang for your buck is tuning via reflash and next is an exhuast

Once you have Stage I or II completed

What we call BPU

Intake - Exhuast - MBC - Fuel Pump - Reflash - FMIC pipes

That gets you to 320 - 330 whp easy with 93 octane with a IX (previously with a VIII you typically needed to go to Stage III which included cams to reach that kind of pump gas power)

I have had customers going mid 11's with IX Evos on Stage I and II

After that anything you add with the pump gas is going to NOT HAVE A HUGE IMPACT with the stock turbo - its basically near its effective limits on a pump gas boost level

Picking up 12 or so whp through the entire band is a decent pick up as far as I am concerned

It is what it is - I am not here to blow smoke up anyone's *** or misrepresent any parts

I dont make these parts, and I sell very few

My gig is tuning them and this report was my tale of the tape

Summary - - Cams are good for 10 - 15 whp through the power band on a pump gas IX with proper tuning when compared to a similarly tuned IX without cams

I have seen others trying to claim some 60 whp from cams - I find that hard to believe based upon my data

AL

Quick Reply: EVO IX Cosworth Cam Dyno Results