Notices

Buschur Racing's oil/vapor catch cans!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing's oil/vapor catch cans!

This has been coming for the last few months and I ran it on my RS with great success. It performed perfectly and I didn't want to release the part until it was very well tested.

The original can I had mounted to the passenger side strut tower, this worked fine in my car but was not possible in a fully equipped EVO with A/C, ABS and a strut tower bar.

We have changed the location of the car and the venting feature. The can is designed to allow you to run a hose back to your turbo inlet if you so choose. I do not like the cluttered look of it and have chosen to just run the breather filter that is being included standard.

The new catch can has four ports. The top port is the vent. The included breather can be removed and a hose can be attached to the top of the catch can and ran back to your turbo inlet if you wish to do so. This will pull the crankcase vapors out of the can and run them back through the engine. It works quite well. The two side ports are for the inlet hoses from the valve cover. The stock valve cover has one vent on the drivers side and the PCV valve. This is intended to eliminate the PCV but can be run still using it too. If you choose to run the PCV you will simply hook the hose from the valve cover directly to the side port of the catch can and then you can run the top port, with an inline PCV back to the intake manifold. This will allow the PCV to function but will not let the oil get back into the intake manifold.

Last and the most important feature of the can is the 4th port for returning the oil that gets into the catch can back to your oil pan where it belongs.

Included in the kit is a modified, new dipstick. You simply remove your old dipstick, replace it with the new one and run the hose from the bottom of the catch can back into the dipstick. This also acts as another port to relieve crank case pressure. You end up with 3 ports to vent crankcase pressure rather than the 1 factory port. This does free up some horsepower.

The can mounts to an existing tab on the firewall and uses an existing bolt to hold it in place. The only fitment issue is with the factory fuel pressure solenoid located on the passenger side of the intake manifold. For anyone running a stand alone it should be eliminated anyway. For those of you with the factory ECU simply unbolt it and leave hooked up so you don't get a CEL.

In the weeks to come we will be releasing a fitting to replace the factory PCV valve to make running the hose into the can cleaner and easier. This will be included in the kit price and anyone ordering now we will send it out to you as soon as they are machined. Shouldn't be more than 2 weeks, for now a hose can simply be put on the PCV and ran to the catch can.

We have these built and ready to ship on the shelf. The catch cans come with the can, breather filter, dipstick and PCV replacement fitting.

The entire kit is built from 304 grade stainless steel and is TIG welded.

The price is $259.

Here are the pictures of the final product.

Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
looks great...damn i need a better job...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
goddddddddddd Dzzzzzzzaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm

$259 !?!!?!?!?!

Im gonna have to save up a years pay for this.

Do you have any pics with it installed in the engine bay????

Last edited by huevosrancheros; Dec 8, 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

You must be kidding on more than one of comments/questions.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel it is really worth it. I was at first uneasy about the price, but hey, where else can you get a catch can that works? The benifits of a properly working catch can that looks good is worth it. Not to mention this was made in the Good ol' USA!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Looks great David!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:17 AM

Another Buschur product to add to the future upgrade list.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Dave - A couple of questions :

(1) I believe you used to run the side vent directly to air (with a K&N filter). Any reason to not still vent to air ?

(2) There is another thread about releasing pressure (in Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain section) where folks are having all sorts of issues with excessive pressure and oil coming out of the engine. At what point do you feel it is important to do more venting / increase the diameter of ports / etc ? I love the idea of the oil going back into the pan - nice job.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

The only reason not to just vent the valve cover is the mess it can make. The guys complaining about the oil being pushed out probably have excessive blow by, it happens with mileage and high boost.

I'm actually getting ready to do some more testing on the catch can stuff when I get some time.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there an option for AN fittings on the side ports?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

No AN options.