Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

My TRE Experience (with Jon cameo) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
BTW * Jon did respond to you this morning.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 03:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I got my rear diff serviced by him.

It was an absolute pain in the ***.

I had to call him all the time, everyday and more than once just to get him on the phone.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I send him emails. Hes good about getting back to me in a couple days. For instance, I sent an email just this Monday. Talked to him Wednesday night.

I agree, a company that has that much business should hire a secretary. But he is known to build some of the best drivetrain components. Therefore, if I have to wait, I will wait for perfection. Ive used the other well known builder, but he was not remotely as thorough nor did the transmission last.

Jacks is in my backyard. I still choose Jon over them. This is my second car getting TRE upgrades. My DSM was lovely.. short of the bad engine builder lol
Old Nov 7, 2013, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok guys, everything is fine! my stuff will be shiped tomorrow!!

he make a mistake when he copy paste my email adresse so he end up writing to nobody!

so in fact all the time he always try to answer my email...

i will post my impression when i will receive my stuff. and its 99% sure that i will ship him my transmission...

ps: just want to said that it take only 5 days after he receive my stuff to complete the work on it.

thank for your imput every body!

jf paquin
Old Nov 9, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i talked with jon a couple hours ago..
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:30 PM

Jon at TRE is Missing in Action Again??

I chose TRE based on a very respected recommendation. Called TRE and Jon answered first try. Talked to me forever giving me a real education on transmissions.

Fast forward to now. I decide to send him my tranny, xfer case and rear diff and get the full boat done, a pretty pricey order. I emailed him and he gave me a date to get it there by the 19th (today). I shipped it out to arrive on the 15th/16th in case there were any delays. Email him the info, he confirms someone will be there to receive it.

Call him yesterday to see if he got the shipment because I haven't heard anything and today is the last day he's at the shop for the holidays. He tells me nothing has shown up and no one has contacted him.....

I call the shipping company to find out what's up and they have a list of contact attempts all with no answer and a vmail box that is full. So I tell them to deliver today because he will be there and it's the last day he's there for a couple weeks.

Call Jon back, no answer even though I spoke to him 5 minutes prior regarding this missing shipment. Email him the info, no reply.

Get a call from the driver today that he tried to deliver and no one was there, apparently he also tried on Mon/Tues when Jon confirmed with me someone would be there and no one was there either.

I get the driver to wait in front of the shop while I try to get Jon on the phone. 6 phone calls later, still no answer. Driver has to take the shipment back to the depot where it will now sit indefinitely until Jon decides to answer his phone and I'm sure storage fees will begin to accrue over the holidays.

I went to TRE based on a very high recommendation and went in knowing he was not very good about communication but this is out of hand.

I'm in absolutely no rush for turn around time but I'm not about to pay a shipping company storage because he won't answer his phone to receive a shipment.

Anybody know how to reach him or should I just re-ship it to shep and forget the headache?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sorry you are going through this.

My transmission and transfer case is at T.R.E. now; both have been there for over 5 weeks during which time I haven't received much of an indication as to when they'd be inspected, what type of turn around time I should expect, or even the rough cost I should expect. Basically no correspondence whatsoever.

It has been frustrating. I phoned ~15 times over the course of those 5 weeks and also tried emailing a number of times as well. No response.

It wasn't until I tried calling his shop at some stupid time like 11:00pm EST that he actually picked up. He spoke with me for over an hour, much like the conversation you describe, about all types of mechanical related subjects in immense detail. I appreciated the call and the time he spent to answer my questions, but I was a bit miffed that I had to wait 5 weeks to have my basic questions answered.

So although I don't want to encourage you or anyone else to bug him in his evenings, given that that was the only time I ever got through to him, it might be worth a shot.

I'm going to be patient because I too don't really care too much about turn-around time, but your not even being able to have the parts delivered and possibly being charged money as the shipper stores the items for you could turn into a big headache. Try to contact him at an odd time; explain what has happened and mention that you did what he had said and he basically dropped the ball and you need him to ensure something can be done to fix this orelse you'll need to work with another company.

His work is great; he puts a lot more time and care into his rebuilds than his competitors (and that's a fact), but he's a bit stubborn I think when it comes to addressing the concerns and needs of his customers. I don't really understand why he doesn't hire someone to help with administrative/receptionist type tasks. This has been T.R.E's pitfall for many, many years.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like he needs some more employees over there...hope you get it sorted out.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 08:33 AM

I got an email reply from him Friday night "I know…it sucks!!!! I had an emergency earlier today and needed to help someone out and by time I got back I saw the semi truck tracks in the driveway."

Nothing else, no effort to see when he could receive them, no effort made to call the shipper when he realized he had to leave during the delivery window and no effort made after he returned and saw that someone had been there.

I replied to that email asking what I was supposed to do with my entire drivetrain that was sitting on a shipping dock and I have not received any reply.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Same old thing, 10 years later. I had a horrible experience with him a decade ago and will never use him again.

That said, the trans is great.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Same old thing, 10 years later. I had a horrible experience with him a decade ago and will never use him again.

That said, the trans is great.
Yup that sums up T.R.E. - it's been like that forever unfortunately.

Poor communication and customer experience, but a great end product.

Last edited by doncarbone; Dec 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah, he's a one man show and frequently gets behind when deal with customer service and follow through.

The way he runs his business leaves much to be desired, but his work is legit and worth the headache IMO.

YMMV
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:04 PM
Account Disabled

Alsoive had bad expierience with him never using him again
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

How is he evem still im business
Old Jan 2, 2015, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Htcg06
How is he evem still im business
As golgo states, he does good work. Say what you will about TRE, or Shep, Jacks...his transmissions are the best you can get.

Quick Reply: My TRE Experience (with Jon cameo) [Merged]