Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Holy cheap Methanol Source

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy cheap Methanol Source

So.... I was searching online looking for a reliable source of methanol. I found numberous places that sell it in 5 gal containers for approx. $50, not including shipping or hazardous transport fees.

I then found this site:
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/buyingmethanol/

more geared twards using methanol as a fuel, but still a good place for guidance on a direct source.

Then I searched chemical on "yahoo locals"

I came up with a place called S & W Chemicals Incorporated I did have to explain what the use was going to be, and how it is being used in an "alternative fuel project". I even told her that I could not find a race shop that stocked the stuff. The lady was very kind, and told me they would have the containers filled and waiting for me when I get there. Very very good customer service, and great prices. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the stuff.

They told me they were out of the 99% stuff, but they have some 98% stuff for $1 A GALLON!

The catch was there is a $5 fee for a 5 gallon container. So... today I'm going to pickup 10 gallons of 98% methanol for $20. This will be watered down with distilled water to make it an even 49% methanol to 51% water. Just like they sell retail already mixed. I am thinking the companies that source this probably just buy in bulk, and sell at a markup. right? Anyway, if anyone wants to buy some methanol in the Charlotte NC.....look this company up.

*note* I should have just become a seller, but wouldn't want to get hit with an audit for not having a buisness liscence and not charging/paying taxes.

Last edited by steadly2004; Jan 3, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steadly2004
So.... I was searching online looking for a reliable source of methanol. I found numberous places that sell it in 5 gal containers for approx. $50, not including shipping or hazardous transport fees.

I then found this site:
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/buyingmethanol/

more geared twards using methanol as a fuel, but still a good place for guidance on a direct source.

Then I searched chemical on "yahoo locals"

I came up with a place called S & W Chemicals Incorporated I did have to explain what the use was going to be, and how it is being used in an "alternative fuel project". I even told her that I could not find a race shop that stocked the stuff. The lady was very kind, and told me they would have the containers filled and waiting for me when I get there. Very very good customer service, and great prices. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the stuff.

They told me they were out of the 99% stuff, but they have some 98% stuff for $1 A GALLON!

The catch was there is a $5 fee for a 5 gallon container. So... today I'm going to pickup 10 gallons of 98% methanol for $20. This will be watered down with distilled water to make it an even 49% methanol to 51% water. Just like they sell retail already mixed. I am thinking the companies that source this probably just buy in bulk, and sell at a markup. right? Anyway, if anyone wants to buy some methanol in the Charlotte NC.....look this company up.

*note* I should have just become a seller, but wouldn't want to get hit with an audit for not having a buisness liscence and not charging/paying taxes.
check for hydrocarbon contamination:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=milky

Also check for water content with a refractometer, or a hydrometer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrometer
Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I'll have to run those tests. I found out why its cheap. Its a by-product of some company's perfume manufacturing process. It is used to rinse down something. Also they told me there is like 1-2% propylene glycol to prevent freezing. They said they occasionally have the tech-grade methanol for approx. $6/gallon

Here is a pic~

Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

98% methanol has an ungodly low freeze point. Why would they need to add propylene glycol for freeze pretection?

That "other" 2% (since it's 98% meth) is going to be important also. It might be a good idea to get a good handle on what that is before actually using it in the car.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I dont' think they added the propylene glycol, but maby it was a waste product when they manufactured the perfume? maby?

Its freezing poing is -98*C pure, so it doesn't need the propylene. Also, I am finding out if there is a way to check the purity in a more specific manner than just a hydrometer. I'll probably still use the hydrometer, but I would like something that would give me exact numbers. Like when you titrate an acid or base. Then you get specific numbers, only this isn't an acid that can be titrated.

I do know the melecular weight is 32.04, so one mole would be 32.04 grams of it. How can I figure out how much volume one mole should take up? Hmm.....I think I'm taking the wrong approach here. They did say they have a viscometer, and pure mehtanol should have a viscosity of .55 cP 20.00. I have no clue what that means, but I am sure I can figure it out... lol. I just need to break out my chemistry book and do some reading. The lab-tech guy says that 2% of unknown is totally an accetpable margin of impurities, and that pump gasoline has way more water/solute contaminating it than that.

Last edited by steadly2004; Jan 3, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

specific gravity of meth at 20C is .7910, so the volume of 1 gmole of meth should be 40.614 ml. Not sure how that helps though.....

There are several threads here how some additives in methanol that are used for race car applications (M3 from VP Racing Fuels is one), even at very low levels, will cause the o-rings/seals and in the meth injection kit to swell and make the system fail to spray. Nothing against your lab guys, but they probably don't have this type of information at their fingertips unless they're also gearheads!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

they most definately are not gearheads.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steadly2004
I'll have to run those tests. I found out why its cheap. Its a by-product of some company's perfume manufacturing process. It is used to rinse down something. Also they told me there is like 1-2% propylene glycol to prevent freezing. They said they occasionally have the tech-grade methanol for approx. $6/gallon

Here is a pic~

your exhaust stream will smell of Chanel #5
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

btw the propylene glycol is messy stuff!

we use this "safe antifreeze" in all our chillers at work - it leaves a sticky mess if its not cleaned up well
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
btw the propylene glycol is messy stuff!

we use this "safe antifreeze" in all our chillers at work - it leaves a sticky mess if its not cleaned up well
Well that sucks.... at least its very little. Even if its the entire 2%, which I highly doubt, then after mixing with water, it will only be 1% of the solution.

I "think" that 1mL out of 100mL isn't that much. Seriously, 1mL is like 1/5th of a teaspoon.