Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

New Water/Methanol Injection Failsafe from AEM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I will post up some photos and videos of the install next week some time, need to edit everything first.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. Mine is all pretty much put together except for hooking it up to the ecu. Dumb question; which wire(s) go to the ecu? Probably more my lack of knowledege and undersanding than it being complicated. We all gotta start somewhere lol
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8lento
Cool. Mine is all pretty much put together except for hooking it up to the ecu. Dumb question; which wire(s) go to the ecu? Probably more my lack of knowledege and undersanding than it being complicated. We all gotta start somewhere lol
Here is how mine is setup on an AEM EMS powered car.

Attached Thumbnails New Water/Methanol Injection Failsafe from AEM-meth.jpg  
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

AEM cannot make this any simpler! (Now that I understand it lol)
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8lento
AEM cannot make this any simpler! (Now that I understand it lol)
For AEM they make a Meth kit, and a Fail Safe kit. You can have one or both, but they are not exclusive to each other.

It really was not that hard at all to setup. Just read the instructions and figure out where you want the failsafe wire to go, and if you want to use a high side or a low side input.

I love the config software. I dont have to deal with some complex set of buttons and working your way through 4digit led read out. Just plug in the laptop set it up and go.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping this back up. Does anyone know if you have to run with the gauge, or can you wire the failsafe up and plug into your laptop without the gauge? Id rather not have another gauge, but just know its working VIA suitable maps, etc.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

The failsafe controller is in the gauge its self. You could simply tuck the gauge away under the dash and never see it again. You can also use the outputs to lite up warning lights on your dash.

So to answer you question, yes you can just tuck the gauge out of the way and not worry about it.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

if you connect the green wire from the fail safe to the meth controller box. Where to you plug the Boost solenoid ?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
if you connect the green wire from the fail safe to the meth controller box. Where to you plug the Boost solenoid ?
From what I understand the green one is a ground (when activated) so with the monitor system you can use the white (I think) and set it up to turn on when fail safe triggered.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

correction: connect the blue one to the solenoid and set it to turn on when alarm is triggered
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Meth Heads!

Has anyone actually installed one of these on a stock ECU and got the MAP switching + failsafe to work?

I got one of these along with the new Injector Duty based progressive controllers and got stuck on the wiring. Maybe somebody could help shed some light... I think I'd like to use the ICS to enable the meth map, have the ICS lamp illuminate to tell me it's on, and in case failure is detected by the Failsafe hit the ADC_0F.
1. If using the ICS to switch the maps, is there a handy switched source to send +12v to arm the AEM controller? (ARM SWITCH (Yellow) in the big diagram below)
Jaime's cable diagram here doesn't cover this use case:

2. Assuming there's a +12v from the ECU that can be used to ARM the AEM, would it be best to clone Jaime's ADC resistor & zener network to provide 4.7v to the ADC? Could the source be the +12v for the ICS cluster lamp?
3. Now that the ADC is powered with the same +12v provided by the meth MAP, how does the failsafe ground it out without pulling too much current through the ECU? Maybe it would happen fast enough that no damage occurs?

Any clarification would be great.
Thanks!

Old Feb 13, 2014, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW, here are the schematics that came with the AEM components.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/me...wmi-10958.html
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Little bumpity-bump-bump. Has no one got this set-up running on a stock ECU with Map switching?
Old May 7, 2014, 12:39 PM

this is more or less just a sensor ... nice i guess if you cant trust your tuner :P
Old May 9, 2014, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

There's an old thread, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...il-safe-q.html were someone recommended snow performance solenoid so as soon as it detects an error cut's boost. I don't know if this is working but sounds good, even thought I don't really understand it completely. Like, I already have a grimspeed solenoid. Can I connect my AEM kit on this solenoid (grimspeed), or do I have to add another like this ? >>> http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=14

Quick Reply: New Water/Methanol Injection Failsafe from AEM