Notices
02-03 Lancer Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

WertyReborn's 2003 Lancer OZ Rally

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WertyReborn's 2003 Lancer OZ Rally

Hi, I just joined this forum, but I have been researching this site for almost a year now while upgrading my Lancer and you guys have been a HUGE help. I used to have a 3G Eclipse RS and was a member of Club3G, and I have also owned a Montero Sport prior to this Mitsu. Here's my old Eclipse if anyone is interested in seeing the custom work I did on it over almost 3 years: My 2000 Eclipse RS Anyways, I still have a list of mods in mind that are on the way and I would love to know what you guys think of the choices or any constructive criticism you have to offer.

Current and Future Engine Mod List:
* Red-Painted Engine Bay Fluid Caps and Fuse Box
* Super-Charger Intake Fan
* Chrome/White Breather Filter
* Polished Cold Air Intake
* Black-Painted Valve Cover
* Stainless Steel Header and Downpipe
* Magnaflow Exhaust System

Current and Future Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension Mod List:
* Aftermarket Chrome Mitsubishi Emblem Tire Air Hose Caps
* Red-Painted Front Brake Calipers, Black-Painted Rear Brake Drums
* Plasti-dipped 15" OEM OZ Rally Wheels
* Carbon Fiber Front Upper Strut Bar
* Track/Street Front Brake Upgrade (from RRM)
* Lancer Progress Lower Anti-Sway Bar (from RRM)
* Lancer Progress Lowering Springs (from RRM")

Current and Future Exterior Mod List:
* Window Tint w/ Front Strip 30% Front Doors, 15% Rear Doors and Backglass
* Aftermarket Lancer EVO Spoiler
* Aftermarket Chrome Housing Side Front Reflectors
* Aftermarket Chrome Housing Side Turn Signals
* Aftermarket High-Power Crystal White Headlight Bulbs
* Anzo Chrome Housing Taillights (from Summit Racing)

Current and Future Interior Mod List:
* Upgraded Rockford Fosgate Front and Rear Door Speakers
* Sony Xplod 800W Amplifier power a Kicker L7 12" Subwoofer
* Chrome Shift Knob

Day 1:

Current:

Day 1:

Current:

Day 1:

Current:

And like I said before, please give me any thoughts or considerations on what you think and perhaps if I need to choose different upgrades for purposes not known to me. Thanks guys, glad to be a member finally and share my custom work on this truly awesome car. (And yes, it's a 5-speed )

For Life

Last edited by WertyReborn; Oct 11, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:08 AM

WertyReborn's 2003 Lancer OZ Rally-image-906380936.jpg
Just ordered the CAI, hope it isn't trash haha
Old Oct 4, 2013, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You're already off to a good start. The car looks good as is. Seems like you are taking good care and that'd important. Do you plan to drop it? If so, most believe that coilovers are the better way to go but they're going to run you some cash - upwards of $800. Lowering springs are a good option though.Sway bars etc are going to really improve handling so I would put that high up the list.

Last edited by SilentCool; Oct 4, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 05:58 PM

Thanks the exterior will finally be complete once I install those tails. And I know the Lancer Progress Rear Sway Bar is supposed to add like 30% more responsiveness on the ES and LS models, but the OZ already has the small rear anti sway bar so I'm just hoping it improves the under-steer almost as much as in the lower versions of the Lancer because I don't want to spend $200 for something I won't even notice. Thanks for the pointers!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome! lookin good so far man keep it up! although I hate chrome

On a serious note you should definitely try to find some kind of "chrome" paint to do the calipers in. hehe that would be the best application of chrome id ever seen
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:13 PM

wheels looks great! black on black looks aggressive. Did you feel any increase in HP with the supercharger intake fan?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:05 PM

Thanks guys! Haha and yes I would love to paint the calipers chrome as long as the paint wouldn't have a smeary/cheap finish like I fear it would. As far as the supercharger intake fan goes, it has done two things: slight improved gas mileage and makes acceleration sound like my engine is lightly supercharged. No horsepower gain that I can tell, but hey for $29.99, I can't complain with the two results I got out of it. Sounds good! I'm putting it in the new intake as soon as it comes in
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:08 PM

Here are some interior pics since I haven't posted any yet. Pretty plain, but clean all the while haha:

I screwed my subwoofer box into the sheetmetal finally so it would stop sliding around in the back when I made a turn. Love the results, now I don't have to constantly take it out. (Sony Xplod amplifier powering a Kicker L7)

Last edited by WertyReborn; Oct 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:44 AM

So I found these 17" Alloy/Black Rims and I'm thinking about picking them up. What do you guys think? BTW, I changed up the first post a little to show progress from the first day I had the vehicle as compared to now. This is where I will post any changes as they come along. I also posted the thread for the Eclipse I used to own on my first post in this thread and in my signature if anyone is interested in that. Only sold it because it was automatic

Also, I bought a "breather filter" for the valve cover that matches my cold air intake filter that is coming in a few days. I'm also going to be painting the valve cover black very soon. Pictures will be posted accordingly

Last edited by WertyReborn; Oct 7, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:06 PM

So I finally installed my cold air intake...kind of...this was supposed to be "bolt on", but there is no where to bolt into so I've been trying to bolt it in the sheetmetal with a sef-tapping screw and haven't even made a dent yet...driving me nuts, I'll have to finish this weekend. Took a pic of my frustration:

Good News: It sounds great and looks great

Bad News: The jack fell off of its spot and caused my car to drop 2 feet immediately (I wasn't under the car thank God), bent the hood stand bar like crazy when it fell as you can see in my new current engine bay picture, my brakes seem messed up for some reason (probably because of the fall), oh and obviously this isn't bolted in yet and my wheel well covers are off and bumper guard is hanging 3 inches away from the ground. It will stay parked until I can work out these issues
Old Oct 12, 2013, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Damn! Sorry to hear about your frustrations. How did the brakes get messed up? Tires were off....? I don't have any experience with the CAI but I'm sure someone will chime in soon. <br />
<br />
It's a holiday weekend so hopefully life doesn't get in the way &amp; you can get as much done as possible. Best of luck man!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:15 PM

Finishing up the cold air install tonight, think I've found a fix to complete it. Still have to drive it for a few days to assess the whole brake issue I was having for the immediate test drive after the accidental jack point drop. And my suspicion on the brakes thing is that maybe a brakeline got knocked lose or something to that effect. I'll post when I solve this whole issue. Oh and I bent the hood stand bar back to being almost 100% straight
Old Oct 13, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Hope that CAI installs right, I'm planning to install one on my car but with the issues you're having that's discouraging. I'm also concerned with clearance. Let me know how it goes.

What are the issues with the brakes? Any problems stopping?

Last edited by SilentCool; Oct 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 06:36 AM

The cold air intake finally went on last week and wow. Definitely worth the purchase look, sound and horsepower-wise. For $60.00 on Ebay, I am pleasantly surprised. It really picks up from 4,000 RPM - 6000 RPM. Although it was kind of a pain installing it, finally worked it out and I'm glad I did. Also my brakes seem to be fine now, idk what the deal was the first few nights but it seems to have worked itself out. Very pleased

Last edited by WertyReborn; Oct 22, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WertyReborn
The cold air intake finally went on last week and wow. Definitely worth the purchase look, sound and horsepower-wise. For $60.00 on Ebay, I am pleasantly surprised. It really picks up from 4,000 RPM - 6000 RPM. Although it was kind of a pain installing it, finally worked it out and I'm glad I did. Also my brakes seem to be fine now, idk what the deal was the first few nights but it seems to have worked itself out. Very pleased
Sounds good, happy you got everything sorted out. How close to the ground is the CAI? Does it make you concerned about getting waterlogged?

Quick Reply: WertyReborn's 2003 Lancer OZ Rally