Notices

DIY Clutch Block

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Clutch Block

I have this in my car and I thought everyone with a stick might want to check it out.

theory has been discussed here

Materials needed (aside from the obvious):

-two drill bits, one slightly larger than the post on the firewall and one big enough so the hole it creates will fit a socket.

-washers and nut to fit thread on stud. I don't remember what the thread size was, sorry. I went to NAPA and they had a tool that fits a bunch of different sizes to figure out what I needed.

-piece of wood approx. 2x2x4 for the block

1. On a level surface where you won't run into anything let your parking brake off and while in gear slowly release the clutch until it begins to engage. If you need to, have someone measure the distance from the factory block (which should be the end of the post coming out of the firewall. Or you could do trial and error like I did.

2. Take that measurement and subtract enough to allow the moving parts in the clutch to completely disengage. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT as your clutch will wear very fast if it doesn't disengage completely.

3. Now cut the piece of wood to your final measurement.

4. Drill a hole all the way through the center with the smaller drill bit.

5. Countersink this hole with the larger drill bit far enough to get a nut on the post coming from the firewall, henceforth the "post."

6. Slide block onto post, then washer, then nut and tighten down enough so you can't move the block around. There is insulating padding all around the post and you want to make sure when you hit the clutch it doesn't move the block.

7. If your clutch grinds or is more difficult to engage than before go back to step two until it operates normally.

I only have one pic that is worth a damn and that it's the final product. I hope y'all enjoy this mod as much as I do.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Clutch Block-lowqual.jpg  
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

ill pass
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

why would a person do this?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

shorten clutch throw, read here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=169531
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

gonna try this one soon i think. ill post up when i do.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

cool, have been waiting to see what others think.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

if you were worried about looks, you could substitute the wood for something nicer looking. lots of material would work for this.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

or I could paint it. You can't see this unless you climb under the dash, so no big deal. Plus I don't care about looks for my mods, I do some engine bay painting to get rid of what I don't like, but thats it.
Old May 25, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

I just swap the gas stop to the clutch stop . It reduced abt 11/2 inch of throw on the pedal. It works fine w/o the hard work. tnx Dan for the idea!
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

hey, thats not fair!! I guess there is always two ways to accomplish the same goal. How close did you get the clutch to the floor and is this going to stretch your accel cable long term?
Old May 18, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

movie on my website
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3
Re: Clutch Block Question

Hi,

I don't mean to bug you but I've searched and haven't found much on the DIY clutch block you wrote up.

I found the thread discussing it's use, the DIY thread, and the one where you asked if anyone was even using it.

I'm just wondering if you still use it yourself and have you found any downsides to it? It sounds like a great idea and the logic behind it fits but I'm a little hesistant because I didn't see much feedback on the forums.

I showed my brother the thread and he is fabricating something for me that will look nice and fit tight but I just wanted to see if there are any updates about this DIY from the original poster.

Thanks in advance!

It's an overlooked mod. Most people on here are modifying the car to suit their desires; modifying the car (read bolt ons) to have a faster car, not a better car. you can make the car better AND faster by changing the way things operate, such as the clutch slave mod delete or this clutch block. there are a few other things that will get you better on the track, such as disabling the ABS, that no one ever does or talks about either. there are more people interested in fast cars than there are worried about who's BETTER. you can't be faster if you can't shift, it's all about the motion in the ocean ya know?

you can buy a short shift kit, but I don't have one. Why? because the stock shifter (evo 8 shifter comes with the car) is short enough. your foot will never move faster than your hand can on the shifter, no matter what. I put in the block to let my foot try and catch up to my hand a little. I also installed the other shifter mods and did the slave modulator delete. what I have now is a very fast, very smooth shift. the car likes it, and I couldn't be happier.

there is little to no need for a short shifter in this car if you want to drive it properly. if you want to drag the car, and don't mind destroying your tranny, you can do the clutch block and short shift kit not to say you will destroy the tranny, but you won't gain any speed shifting with one as opposed to just adding the clutch block if you aren't forcing the shifter

I will always run with a clutch block. when installed properly it does nothing more than take up dead space under your pedal that you would normally have to push through to shift. This is the second vehicle I have had with a clutch block. It's been on the car for a long time, I think it was the first performance change I made actually. My clutch is showing little wear at 53000 miles, probably less than that of some of the other drivers on here because my modifications and driving style are for the car not the passengers
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:19 PM

How length does the block need to be??? I want to do one