Notices

Front bar removal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bar removal

Hey guys I am wanting to remove the front bar on the car and not 100% sure as to how to I have removed the license plate and removed the hidden bolt behind there have removed all the wheel arch ones and also the ones on the top front of bar...

there is two brackets which are under the car they are solid mounted to the bar itself and then attacthed to the main part of the car but I can not figure out how to release it ?? need tips here

also do I have to remove the headlights as well to get to hidden screws etc

help here would be useful thanks in advance for your help
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

The only things that are holding the bumper on are the two hidden bolts behind the grills up front, the wheel well bolts and plastic clips, and two plastic clips underneath. Ther isn't any hidden under the headlights. In fact, on mine I have to remove the bumper just to remove the lights.

If you are asking how to remove the ones underneath then just get a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze the center of the big plactic clips holding it on. As you squeeze the center of them just pull down and they should pop right off. When you get those out all you have to do is yank on the bumper a little for it to come off. The reason I had to give it a little pull is because mine has clips that hold the bumper in line to make installation easier and you just have to break those loose. Let me know if that's what you are asking about.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here you go. Sorry for the huge pic.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys that is a great help my main problem was the 2 clips that were under the car I just could not work out how to release them but the needle nose was how I had to remove them. I just have never seen clips that big having to remove the grill was a test it is such a fragile piece of plastic.

Mine was almost the same as the one that you have described in the pic above except we have to remove the number plate to reveal another bolt, also the JDM or Australian verssion does not have the crash bar that you have aswell so that makes it easier again.

All up it is about a 15 minute install very impressive.

Again guys thanks for the great info very much appriciated
Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Those clips are a huge PITA... I work on cars with those things all day, they are everywhere on newer cars... I bought a special set of pliers that pull the centers out without breaking the clips...

If you do break some, they are cheap to replace, but coat them in antisieze and they'll come out much easier the second time...
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

ah good tip... knowing me I will break them at some time and it will be when I don't have any spares to replace them
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

The answer to the small clips is two small screwdrivers applying equal pressure.

I have however found that these clips do not last very long at all especially after repeated taking on and off(cleaning air filter).