Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Mesh install and paint questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mesh install and paint questions

I have the Toms 2 front and i want to put mesh in the openings. Where should I look to buy the mesh what kind of paint to i need to use on the mesh as well as how mnay coats. What is a good way to install the mesh without hurting the kit
Old Jun 13, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

don't know much about the install but i think there are companies that sell it painted try google searching it.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

u got any pictures of your kit?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

there it is
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

It really depends on the style of mesh you want. I went to Home Depot, bought a roll of gutter guard mesh. It is a pretty cool pattern, and is aluminum. It was really cheap as well. The roll was about 8 feet long, and 2 feet wide, so it would be more than enough to do those gaps. I just used it to make mesh inserts for the front grille.

I painted mine black, using Dupli-color auto spray paint. I cleaned the mesh off, nothing major.
I put on 1 coat of primer, let it dry for about 20 minutes. Then i just sprayed a coat of gloss black once every 25-30 minutes. I did 3-4 coats, just to make good depth. I was also painting the grille inserts though, so the focus was more on them than the mesh.
The mesh turned out great. One thing though.. i mounted the mesh, then i painted it.. which may be difficult in your case. As long as there was minimal flex during instal, i think the paint would hold up and not chip.
good luck.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

nice kit
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

thanks just waiting to find a good place to paint the car thats all
Old Jun 13, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by MitsuSkot
It really depends on the style of mesh you want. I went to Home Depot, bought a roll of gutter guard mesh. It is a pretty cool pattern, and is aluminum. It was really cheap as well. The roll was about 8 feet long, and 2 feet wide, so it would be more than enough to do those gaps. I just used it to make mesh inserts for the front grille.
i'll second that notion

or, if you browse on ebay there are several options for trim-to-fit grilles from a couple different vendors
Old Jun 14, 2006, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

there are a couple of ways to attach the mesh to the front bar but this is the way that I have found to be the best as far as time and easy for replacement once it starts getting chips scratches and holes form hitting bugs and stones

you only need a few things:-
plastic wall plugs (can get these from a hardware store)
strong wire not too thick thou
stickaflex (stuff that is used for securing bodykits to cars ) should be able to pick this up from most Panel and paint stores
wire cutters
pliers

cut the mesh into the size and shape that you need to cover the gaps allowing an extra 1"- 1.5" all round

get your wall plugs and using the stickaflex glue stick them onto the front bar around the edge of the gaps plaace them about 3" apart and have them runing long ways around the gaps you will need to leave this to dry for about 24hours

cut small lengths of wire about 5" long and thread them throu the wall plugs so that they hang out either side

place the mesh over the gaps and fold down over the sides of the gaps then secure into place by using the wire that is threaded thru the wall plugs and twist to secure only at this time, ( if you are wanting to paint the mesh then you need to mold the shape then paint then secure onto front bar as paint does not bend very well when dry)

when you have them all secured and everything is in place then go back and carefully twist the wire so that it is pulling the mesh down evenly and is nice and tight... be careful here as you don't want to over tighten as the wire will or may snap

when or if you need to replace a setion it is really easy as you only need to cut the wire and replace the secton of mesh and rewire back into place

The other way that bodyshops attach the mesh is to just use mountains of stickflex this works well till you need to replace the mesh then it is days of cutting it off and sanding the old stuff off to get a nice clean surface

hope this helps you out
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

^^^nice write up.....way better than the way i did it