Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

spoiler...

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spoiler...

so i did search and couldn't find what i want lol.. im pretty much looking to see if anyone has instructions on how to put an evo spoiler on our car, ive been thinking about it for a couple years and i think i want to do it.

and help fellas? :] thanks!!
Old May 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

This is probably the wrong section, this should be posted in the how to section.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

honestly... i thought i did lol.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All I can offer from my experience is:
  1. Don't be afraid to drill one new hole on each side of the trunk for the extra screw. Measure and mark carefully.
  2. I installed M6 helicoils in the bottom of the fibreglass spoiler uprights, so the trunk mounting screws go into steel threads instead of plastic (fibreglass) material.
  3. Use a dremel or die grinder to enlarge access holes in the underneath part of the trunk where the mounting screws go - you need room for a socket to fit the head of the screws, so some of the surrounding sheet metal has to be ground away; touch up with spray paint or primer afterwards, no one will ever see it.
  4. I made my own rubbery gaskets that sandwich between the spoiler uprights and the trunk lid, to protect the paint and provide some "give" when torquing the screws down. You can use old tire inner tubes if nothing else comes to hand.
  5. Torque those screws gently and do not overdo it or else you will crack the spoiler uprights. Torque till it feels "sweet" then check in a few days if they feel loose just tighten a bit more.

I also bought the stock rubber gaskets from the dealer (and a couple little plastic bolt-covers that were missing) in case I ever put the original spoiler back on, it was literally only a few dollars, put them in a baggy and store with your stock spoiler.

Go to the wreckers and get a third brake light to install inside the car on the parcel shelf against your back window. I found the larger Ford sedans have nice ones.

Last edited by RalliartN; May 24, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Ive been wanting to get the Evo wing. I just dont know were to order it from. Ive not seen any for sale here. The one on andy's auto sport from Extreme Dimensions is like $160, but it comes primer black, and my local body shop wants around $400 to paint match it to my car. CarId has the same model for $200 unpainted, and $300 painted, but I dont see the color of my car listed anywhere in their color codes, that or im just not sure which it is...

Any help?
Old May 24, 2012, 01:02 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just for the record RalliartN is referring to installation based on an aftermaket spoiler NOT a factory Evo 8-9 spoiler. Much of the extra work can be done away with by getting the factory one.

Barako , you can't find an evo 8-9 spoiler for sale? I think people are using the top search box (searches all of Evom) not the smaller forum specific one to the right.

Here are a few in silver.... And be sure to check you local craigslist

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...r-spoiler.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...iper-assy.html

Last edited by lanzerralliart; May 24, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, Bakuro, the paint job will cost as much or more than your spoiler - this is normal.

Do not paint it yourself, it will end up like crap for sure and you will waste lots of money and time and realize you are far more stupid than even your father-in-law thinks you are. Get a pro paint shop to do it right the first time. Mine cost about $250 if memory serves, which is only about $50 more than I spent trying to do it myself.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

if i wanted to go wingless, there are 2 holes where would i get the plugs from ??

:]
Old May 25, 2012, 10:24 AM

I have an Evo wing off my white RA. Its painted white with a black insert. Great condition, offer? Shipping may be a ***** though, since I'm up in Canada.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Haha yeah I have 2 evo wings one real evo 8 wing red/cf and a silver evo style wing for lancers. But im not planning to get rid of them. I can do a how to video though i guess if people would like.