Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Death of the VR-X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death of the VR-X

So about 3 hours ago I was driving home from lunch today and I heard a pop and saw a cloud of smoke behind me. I stopped at the red light and my GF noticed there was smoke coming out of the hood. I turned off the car, popped open the hood and was greeted by some flames.

Called the fire brigade, they came swiftly and put the flames out, but not before the flames had built up and engulfed most of my engine bay.

My girlfriend and I are fine, my girlfriend obviously being quite shaken up.

Personally, I feel like my best friend just died.

Here's the photos of the aftermath.

If anyone can let me know what may have caused it to suddenly combust that would be awesome. It looks like the flames started near the ignition coil by the plastic cover. The engine bay was completely stock aside from amp wiring and a pod filter.

Thankfully, I have insurance so hopefully that will cover the costs of repair/getting a new car. Definitely looking at getting another VR-X or maybe even an Evo if I can get the funds together. Who knows what will happen.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 05:31 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Glad to hear you guys are ok. I wonder what caused the fire. Best of luck on the hunt for the replacement.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good Lord! What a shock that must have been. It's really creepy seeing this. On the positive side, everyone is unhurt.

Hmm, I'd venture that either a high current got grounded out and a fuse didn't blow, or there was a pinhole fuel leak. Seeing as you added amp wiring, the former case would be my guess as to what failed - a wire caught on fire and it went from there.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Hmm, I'd venture that either a high current got grounded out and a fuse didn't blow, or there was a pinhole fuel leak. Seeing as you added amp wiring, the former case would be my guess as to what failed - a wire caught on fire and it went from there.
My thoughts exactly.

Im really sorry man... That is horrible...

Glad you all are not hurt. This could have been bad with the fuel lines right there. Good news is that most of the stuff in the bay appears salvageable. So if you do find another VR-X you'd have a great parts car with this one.

Either way I know this hurts... Sorry man.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah, I agree, it was most likely the stereo wiring...good thing the rest of the fuel didn't catch fire.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 01:14 PM

Hey guys, thank you all for your feed back and replies, i really appreciate it.

I hope it wasn't the amp wiring that had caused this, ill be devastated if it was, practically means it was my fault the car caught light
When i had first opened the bonnet, the half of the plastic ignition coil cover (sorry if that's not right, the name eludes me) had actually melted on right hand side, and it was the cover it self that was initially on fire, seemingly away from the amp wiring and battery, although I'm not ruling the amp wiring out altogether.

Insurance came and picked up my car for assessment, luckily i managed to get my wheels off (which were only 3 months old) as well as scavenge my radio and subs since they were only a couple months old as well.
Its a shame i couldn't take out my exhaust (only 3 months old too!), but i didn't have the tools or the time
Hopefully ill be getting word back from the assessor advising what had happened and whether its a write off or they will repair it.

The fire report from the fire department had come through, and they stated it was a mechanical issue. Not too sure what that was meant to mean, they were rather vague.

I even called the Mitsubishi dealer ship where i had bought the car from 2 years ago, although admittedly they were shocked, they didn't seem to really care, just took down my number plate and that was that really. Once i get the report back from insurance, ill let them know what it says.

Of course ill keep you guys updated as to what could've caused it, fingers crossed that insurance sorts it out and doesn't try and bend me over and blame it on me....
Old Apr 7, 2016, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap. Could have been worse so count your blessings.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Any news yet? Im curious what happened, are you getting another RA or moving to something else?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 01:10 PM

Hey Guys,

So I got word back from insurance and unfortunately they could not determine what exactly caused the fire to start in the first place.
They did rule out that it was an electrical fire and stated that the fire started near the engine block. How they came to that conclusion, I wouldn't have a clue.

My car has been written off so now Im just waiting for them to pay me out, in the mean time I bought a little mazda familia as a run about until i save up enough to get another decent car which will hopefully be my project.

Unfortunately, getting a VRX for sale out these ways is very very hard. Some VRX's in NZ and Aussie came with a 2 litre, and even those are freaking hard to find. Plenty of base lancers but usually they are in such bad condition its not worth pursuing further.

It really was such a beautiful smooth car to drive and it was gutsy, plus it was my first car to hit triple figures in terms of KWs lol, so i really do miss it.

So for now, I am RalliArt-less, but ill still browse these forums because seeing all the effort you guys put into your prides and joys is really inspiring