Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
be careful with the oil return, what is the inside diameter of that eblow? did bending it decrease it? insufficient oil scavenge will caause oil to push out of the turbine/compressor seals...and remember cold starts and high rpm yield oil pressures of over 100psi
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
be careful with the oil return, what is the inside diameter of that eblow? did bending it decrease it? insufficient oil scavenge will caause oil to push out of the turbine/compressor seals...and remember cold starts and high rpm yield oil pressures of over 100psi

I thought about that Garrett, and I did not see any significant change in the diameter of the elbow... but if there is pressures up to 100 psi, or any pressure for that matter, why do I need to worry about the return line going down hill if I have pressure behind it?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

oil enters the center section under pressure...from there, you want there to be significantly less pressure, as the seals are not pressure seals, from the center section back into the pan it is gravity return, if flow is insufficient the return line will back up creating excess oil pressure inside the center section and oil will push past the seals.

some turbo/motor combinations will prefer an oil restrictor...be sure to inspect system operation VERY thoroughly and often at first until you're confident everything is working correctly, then you can inspect less frequently...i run a -4 line in, and -12 line out.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jul 20, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
oil enters the center section under pressure...from there, you want there to be significantly less pressure, as the seals are not pressure seals, from the center section back into the pan it is gravity return, if flow is insufficient the return line will back up creating excess oil pressure inside the center section and oil will push past the seals.

some turbo/motor combinations will prefer an oil restrictor...be sure to inspect system operation VERY thoroughly and often at first until you're confident everything is working correctly, then you can inspect less frequently...i run a -4 line in, and -12 line out.

Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Got the retaining clip, and spent at least (16) hours out in the grueling up to 100F heat , assembling the last of the build. The downpipe was not fun! I underestimated the access issues involved with securing the WG housing bolts to the turbo...OMG! On a positive note, all the fluids are in. I've also spent (8) hours, over the last two days now, trying to write this turbo file to my ECU and got shut down again today! I won't elaborate but I'm irritated and not very happy at all!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

High temp coated WG actuator looking straight up from oil pan (black, ceramic coated downpipe on the right):

Cat pipe...

Waiting, as we speak, to teamview with hackish to write this turbo flash to my ECU...what have I forgotten?

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truthdweller
Got the retaining clip, and spent at least (16) hours out in the grueling up to 100F heat , assembling the last of the build. The downpipe was not fun! I underestimated the access issues involved with securing the WG housing bolts to the turbo...OMG! On a positive note, all the fluids are in. I've also spent (8) hours, over the last two days now, trying to write this turbo file to my ECU and got shut down again today! I won't elaborate but I'm irritated and not very happy at all!
I'm having the same issue trying to write as well on my car with uvtune.
"Unable to load flash connector"
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

you need a reflash adapter, or you need to hard wire a reflash wire.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting very close to having some more boosted RalliARTs on the road can't wait!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, guess what?

I'M ON THE ROAD!

BUT...

We've got problems Houston...

Yet have no fear...

HACKISH IS HERE!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Spent a good part of the afternoon into the evening on teamviewer with hackish, watching him do his magic. Tomorrow I'll write another file he sent me, as the result of datalogging a couple trips for him. I'm tripping limp mode at > 4000 rpm and unable to boost yet so, I'm still being kept on the edge of my seat, literally! It sure was nice though to turn the key and feel my car come back to life! I even have the front clip put back on and was able to drive it back to where I am residing, instead of in front of my brother in laws house, inside a shop, or on the back of a tow truck going somewhere!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

On the way home, on the surface streets, I inadvertently accelerated quickly (trying to keep the RPM's below 3000) and felt the turbo TRY to spool then heard a glint of the recirc valve's SWOOSH backinto the intake pipe. I'd be lying if I didn't get a bit excited, lol!

Can't wait till all this is ironed out!

Edit: And my air conditioning is still cranking like a refrigerator, yippee!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man this could be a movie !!!!!!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this thread! Any idea if your bringing this beast to the shootout in a month?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemike396
I love this thread! Any idea if your bringing this beast to the shootout in a month?
Im hoping you can bring it too!

Will you be making a video when you get it running properly?

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build