Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Ralliart Died on me

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart Died on me

OK,i did a search on this topic ,but found nothing, my Ralliart dided yesterday while drving , i got 3/4 of the way home from driving normally, no highways or highspeed driving, got near home then then engine started to spudder and act funny, i though huum that's strange, not even the check engine light was on. So i stopped to pick somthing up, when the car started it dided right away after dipping down under 500rpm's, so i managed to get it to the dealer where i work, put it on the scanner and the front O2 wich is the most important one had crapped out on me, really wierd, no warning no nothing, anyhow i'm gonna send it to the dealer on Monday to have it replaced, so while i'm wating to have this sensor replaced ,i did a search on the net for any recalls or TSB's but the only one i found was as follows:

Problem: Emission system oxygen sensor failure

Make: MITSUBISHI

Model: EVO VI Lancer

Variant:

Date Range:

VIN Ranges: JMYSNCP9AYU000970 to JMYSNCP9AYU001053

Defect: The oxygen sensor in the exhaust system may fail after being hit by moisture on cold startup.

Consequences: The vehicle may fail the emission requirements.

Corrective action: Mitsubishi/Ralliart will replace the oxygen sensor with a new sensor P/No MN153156.

Notif. Date: 11/02/2003

DOTARS No.: R03/008

Supplier Name: MITSUBISHI

Campaign No.: 010011

but i know this applies to the Australian vehicles and possibly the Evo only, but this sounds like the same symptom.......kind weird. the other give away how i knew the sensor was bad is that my A/F Gauge stopped working.

i'll keep you all posted
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's possible that it's an oxygen sensor, but a failed oxy sensor should trigger a CEL. You need to give more info? Do you have any mods? Have you tried turning over the car cold? When you try to turn over does it make any unusual noises?
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I had a similar problem. Mine was caused because my RRM Piggyback crapped out. The car wouldnt start without holding the gas down. It wanted to idle aroun 500rpm, which caused it to stall. My sensor was fine. After I unhooked the piggy, it worked fine. I am sending it back to RRM, but Rob made it clear that he doesnt want to warranty it, as its a year old. I'll be sending it back in a couple of week, since my car is in the body shop until then.

If you have the piggy, take it off and see what happens.....unless you positive its the o2. You have exhaust work done, right? still have your Cat? not sure if it makes a diference, being its the front sensor, not the rear (its before the cat). Anyway, good luck!
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

No i have no mods (computer wise) and i scanned it here at work, it gave me "cylinder #4 missfire" i cleard the fault, the checked the readings for the O2 sensors the front one is dead, gives me 2% efficientcy reading the rear is at 100% with proper fluxuation, so i know the front one is dead, just gotta get it over to the dealer now on monday.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

with my car..the throttle dips after start up ( cold/ warm) it actually idles around 400 rpm sometimes. If I just hop in and drive it cold...I get a few blocks and as soon as I lay off the gas it stalls. Maybe that is the issue im havin. O2 sensor....hmmm...how much those bad boys worth??maybe I just need to adjust an idle screw..if its similar to OZ layout.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

can04rali: what mods do you have? Thats exactly what mine was doing. It was the MAF sensor (the one on the intake) for me. I tried adjusting my throttle nut as well. It worked for a bit, but then the computer re-learned the new throttle settings and it went back to how it was before. Lucky me! To find out, try unhooking the wire harness on the MAF sensor and giving it a shot. This will throw your CEL, but will use a 'default' MAF reading. Dont look at it as a fix, because it could cuase some problems if you run hard like that. Thats how I determined it was the RRM piggyback. Give it a shot a let us know!
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem, my air filter on my intake was loose and it fell off lol i didnt realize it till the next mornning any way poped back on and everything was fine.

but yo ,you came up with a great discovery. ill bet lots of ra owners are having that same problem, my car is starting to do some crazy **** to while at idle, im going to change my sensor to just to be on the safe side ..........THANKS
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:33 AM

Talking

I had the same thing happen last summer, they had to tow the car to the shop because it wouldn't let me unlock the doors or nothing and it was the O2 sensor, but replaced and we are good....
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

ok so now i feel stupid, i fixed this problem, the one thing i never did was open the hood, all you guys helped by giving me ideas, so the last thing i ever would have thought was the cold air to fall off, and sure enough there it was the rubber coupler had fallen off and then engine was sucking too much air,intern causing the engine to stall out due to too much fuel...........i feel so stupid........LOL!!!! hey we learn from our stupidity.......
Old Feb 4, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by can04rali
with my car..the throttle dips after start up ( cold/ warm) it actually idles around 400 rpm sometimes. If I just hop in and drive it cold...
mine does the same thing but only when i turn it on (cold).
Old Feb 4, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ModernRacer
No i have no mods (computer wise)
Does that mean that you have absolutely no mods at all?
Old Feb 4, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

I hope this isn't common. I've owned four cars. A 1989 Pontiac 6000, a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, a 1999 Buick LeSabre, and this car. Other then the fact that they're domestics and made by GM, care to take a guess what they all had in common?

Failed Oxygen sensors. All of them. I owned the Pontiac for a year and a half, the olds for almost 4, and the Lesabre for a little less then a year, and I had to replace the oxygen sensor in all three. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to replace the oxygen sensor in my car before 80k.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

i've also had problems with my MAF sensor, it cause my car to completly stall not just idle weird. The rpms would rise to 2000 then just fall and stall.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ModernRacer
ok so now i feel stupid, i fixed this problem, the one thing i never did was open the hood, all you guys helped by giving me ideas, so the last thing i ever would have thought was the cold air to fall off, and sure enough there it was the rubber coupler had fallen off and then engine was sucking too much air,intern causing the engine to stall out due to too much fuel...........i feel so stupid........LOL!!!! hey we learn from our stupidity.......
gotta love your sig
Old Feb 5, 2006, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasidus
i've also had problems with my MAF sensor, it cause my car to completly stall not just idle weird. The rpms would rise to 2000 then just fall and stall.
Thats EXACTLY what mine did with the piggy.

Quick Reply: Ralliart Died on me