Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

problem post intake manifold install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem post intake manifold install

Hey guys im having an issue. I installed the intake manifold. Not a hard job me and a friend did it in 2 hours. I am having an issue tho. That thermostat housing or however you call it, that bolts up to the intake manifold, i could not bolt it up easy, i had to force it to come back into place, because the Phenolic spacer pushed the manifold a milimeter or 2 away now. so the thing wouldnt bolt up. Finally i bolt it up, but now i got a worse issue lol. The pipe (crack pipe) or what you might call it that the houseing fits on, is not leaking coolant at the connection, drop by drop when the car is on. And i got no clue how to fix it. Any input or help you could give me would be well appreciated. Cant drive the car until thats taken care off.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:12 PM

dont know for sure but I just pulled mine off during the winter aswell... actually just picked up the IM this afternoon from the machine shop... got it ported nicely for 119Cdn incl tax... can't wait to get it in...
It is or isn't leaking at the connection?
Anyways, where the coolant connection goes into the block there was some grey colored, gum-like substance sealing between the IM and the block... You're best to ask someone else what it was... actually I'll be doing the same... ask any mechanic, they'll know.

Let me know if you think the ceramic gasket looks quality and actually makes a difference, I'm gonna order the same one... so let me know
Old Feb 23, 2008, 01:13 AM

yeah man its leaking right at the connection. i put gasket maker in there and put it back , tomorow will test if it leaks again, and if it does lol. Im gonna take that pipe that comes from the block, cut the last 3 inches where it connects, take that piece and the housing, weld them together and reconnect it with like a 3 inch rubber (coolant ) hose, that was its secure and flexible and shoes bolt rite up. so much for dealership seeing that LOL. next week the stage 2 cam is going in, its now sitting on the floor of my bedroom, its pretty to look at. cant wait for that and then re-tune.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

you didn't use gasket maker in the first place? IIRC all the coolant connections had a place for sealant
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, you definitely need to use high-torque gasket maker (the grey stuff, not the black stuff.) You'll need to take the IM off, thoroughly clean the mating suface and remove all the old gasket, then apply a new bead. Also, the o-ring on the coolant pipe is a potential spot for leakage.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:27 AM

hey otter, the place where it actually leaks is that o-ring, like on the (housing / lower pipe) connection, not the connection to the manifold. it is wher you connect it and there is the likke rubber ring, that is where my problem lies. its happening because i had to Force the housing to come to manifold, since the thicket manifold phenolic gasket pushed the maifold away, so when i forced the housing onto to the manifold, i get a leak not below on the O-ring rubber seal place
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Yeah, I got a bad leak there when I did my IM. Turned out that, in fighting with getting the IM on/off, it cracked the o-ring. You'll have to replace it. What really sucks is that a universal o-ring won't work (I tried), you need the Mitsu one.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:40 PM

hey otter thanks a lot for your input , it really helps that you know exactly what im dealing with, what i did is FILL the housing side with the Grey gasket maker, well not inside hehe but around the connection and after connecting also on the outside too, now after 24 hours i tested it on idle, cruising, and driving hard and no leakage at all (knock on wood), hopefully it holds up if not, ill take it apart put new mitsu ring as you say, more grey stuff and do it over again. Now onto to the results, Intake manifold PULLS very nice, noticable difference in the pick up and high end as well. Gaskets are nice, after hard driving, i can put my hand on the IM and its not hot at all. so im satisfied there. now in the next few days Stage 2 cam will be put in, and then i take it to dyno shop for re-tune. after that it should be good, i donno if i will notice the difference or how much after the cam? but im hoping it will be good, i will probably make a new thread to rewiew my gain after Flywheel, IM, Cam and retune... thanks guys!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 05:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Order a ring now before you develop a leak. Mitsu dealers don't usually keep the part in stock, so it takes near a week to get it. Only costs a few dollars, so I figure better to keep it on hand.