Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

2004 ralliart timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled it all back apart today and lined up the front balance shaft like you said. You were right, the balance shaft was rotated 180 degrees. What was confusing me was the oil pump sprocket was lined up but I'm guessing it has a 2:1 ratio to the balance shaft making one full turn of the sprocket turn the balance shaft 180 degrees. Anyway, she runs like a dream now!! Thanks alot for the help!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mmoulton470
I pulled it all back apart today and lined up the front balance shaft like you said. You were right, the balance shaft was rotated 180 degrees. What was confusing me was the oil pump sprocket was lined up but I'm guessing it has a 2:1 ratio to the balance shaft making one full turn of the sprocket turn the balance shaft 180 degrees. Anyway, she runs like a dream now!! Thanks a lot for the help!
Close. The drive gear has 21 teeth, and the driven gear has 14. Every rotation of the gear you line up to the mark spins the balance shaft 540 degrees.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
ok, so it's not 180 degrees out, but it's out none the less...i have not had the bottom end apart yet, other than when i tapped my oil pain for turbo scavenge, but i didn't really have a close look...

i knew it was out though, i just didn't know the rotational relationship between the balance shaft and oil pump...glad to hear you're up and running again.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:26 PM

Hey, i just replaced my timing belt, water pump, balancer belt and three tensioner (timing pulley, idler pulley and balancer belt tensioner pulley). Now its making a squealing/ whining noise. What could be the problem???
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Possibly to much tension on the belt....
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

find out where the noise is coming from, it's possibly not even related to the timing belt...did you do the work yourself?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

This might be helpful, this is from the rock auto website where i just ordered all my stuff minus the auto tensioner which incidentally is cheaper at Advance auto parts by about 10 bux. If it applies to anyone, ralliarts sold in california are good for 104,000 miles on the timing service (I have no idea why) and also now is a good time to pop in a new serpentine belt as long as you hfta take it off anyhow.

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2005 MITSUBISHI LANCER 2.4L L4 SOHC

AUTOLITE XP5325 Spark Plug $ 4.90 $ 0.00 4 $ 19.60

BECK/ARNLEY 1312376 (131-2376) Water Pump $ 49.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 49.79

BECK/ARNLEY 2010445 Oil Pressure Switch
Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty $ 2.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 2.89

DAYCO 5060740 Belt $ 17.52 $ 0.00 1 $ 17.52

GATES TCK332 Timing Belt Component Kit $ 55.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 55.89

Shipping Priority Mail, First Class Mail, Ground (1 to 5 business days) $ 34.54
Tax $ 9.18
Order Total $ 189.41

Ignore the total cuz that includes the spark plugs, oil pressure switch that i need and shipping which is all wacky cuz my stuff is coming from 4 different wharehouses and my shipping costs will be different than yours. The water pump price is quite nice, it came today andis a brand new unit including gaskets and has a stainless impeller not plastic or phenolic (resin).

In case anyone asks, yes those are iridium plugs for 5 bux a piece. they have the ngk's for like 7 or 8 a piece if you like those better.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:16 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everything sounds good EXCEPT that part about not having to change the timing belts until 104,000 miles , that's a death sentence to the motor. The Cali-spec was what my car was when I first got it with that PZEV. I hated it, I had to look at the rpms to know the car was even on lol, so then the mods came.

The real kicker that many people have over looked (myself included) is that the service manual says to do the timing maintainence every 60k or 48 months so if your at the 4 year mark and have only put on 37k your still supposed to replace the timing belts given the years of age to the belts.

Something that I have found out is that the late model eclipses with the 4g69 have Kevlar reinforced timing belts that don't require maintaince for 8 years or 120k. I would think that it would fit but if mitsu changed just one thing on the diameter it could cause a problem. I've seem the difference between the two , the newer one is clearly stronger.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

what all comes in the timing belt kit for 60 bucks, rofl? i'm curious, cause mine was all OEM, i think it was about $200...just the belt was around $70..

I was pissed when i got all the timing parts for my ES, the 4G94 timing belt is a lot simpler, WAAAAY cheaper, but harder to get to...the accessory belt tensioner on the 4G94 looks like chrysler designed it...it's terrible...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3dson
Hey, i just replaced my timing belt, water pump, balancer belt and three tensioner (timing pulley, idler pulley and balancer belt tensioner pulley). Now its making a squealing/ whining noise. What could be the problem???
Did you ever find out what was causing this noise? I just basically all the same stuff changed but the water pump and mine is making the exact same sound and it changes with the rpms. I called the dealer and was told that new timing belts will make that sound for the first few days then it will go away.. its been 4 days and the sound is still there.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twch
Did you ever find out what was causing this noise? I just basically all the same stuff changed but the water pump and mine is making the exact same sound and it changes with the rpms. I called the dealer and was told that new timing belts will make that sound for the first few days then it will go away.. its been 4 days and the sound is still there.
hey if u got coolant or something on the belts could be a cause also low quality bearings or parts can also cause a similar problem if not assembled to a decent tolerance. i work with repairing alternator pulleys and parts that seem perfect and functioning properly can make the most random sounds if even one tolerance is out by .1 mm...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
what all comes in the timing belt kit for 60 bucks, rofl? i'm curious, cause mine was all OEM, i think it was about $200...just the belt was around $70..

I was pissed when i got all the timing parts for my ES, the 4G94 timing belt is a lot simpler, WAAAAY cheaper, but harder to get to...the accessory belt tensioner on the 4G94 looks like chrysler designed it...it's terrible...
I opened the box from Gates, and inside I found a timing belt, balence belt and three steel pulleys. id post a pic buuuuuut, lol i cant cuz i dont have a smartphone. I have a dumbphone thats not on the internet. I ordered everythingSunday nite and got all of it by friday, 2 boxes came wednesday and 2 came friday. all packed very securly with giant air pillows that the kids think are neat as hell.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
...the accessory belt tensioner on the 4G94 looks like chrysler designed it...it's terrible...
AMEN!!!! Ive done alot of work on Chryslers and God could have done us all a favor and had the engineer team sucked up in a tornado and dropped in a canyon filled with cow crap. I did the timing belt on my plymouth breeze 2.0 and actually had to cut a section out of the frame to get the crank pulley off to access the timing belt behind it. tried everything in a well stocked service shop, lifting the motor, dropping the motor, removing mounts, it wasnt meant to be fixed. I shoulda pushed it into the aformeantioned canyon and sank it, and my wifes Grand Caravan that requires the intake manifold be removed to change rear spark plugs. WHAT NUMBNUT DESIGNS CARS LIKE THAT HONESTLY!?!?!?!?!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:16 AM

Just make sure uput every single pulley in time specially the oil pump one like the manual says cause if not u going to feel a lot of vibration and the car will not run like supose to it happened to me but i fixed it right away good luck
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Buxnbaas
I did the timing belt on my plymouth breeze 2.0 and actually had to cut a section out of the frame to get the crank pulley off to access the timing belt behind it.
Lol, i did the water pump on a Cirrus, same car ROFL, what a joke...took me like 8 hours...

Quick Reply: 2004 ralliart timing belt replacement