Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

rev limit issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rev limit issue

hi i have owned my 04 ralli-art for 3 years now and had really bad luck over last 14mnths. tree fell on it, been hit twice while parked and 1 while in motion.. motor was replaced @ 30000kms under warr.prior to purchasing with no disclosure as it was not needed because it was under warr and had new motor put in. when they did the work in niagra falls they put 3 mount bolts back in and stripped the 4th and broke the 5th and didn't bother with the 6th. used a impact to tighten bolts back up on trans to motor and stripped 3/4 of them. 2mnths ago i put in a new 5spd tranny and everything worked fine till a week ago, i noticed what felt like the rev limiter stopping me @5400 rpms, a few days later stopping me @ 4200rpms.. two days later the computer finnally gave me 00300 code of random misfire. i replaced the plugs and air filter,tested fuel pressure. but still cutting out @ 4400 sometime 5400 rpms..
what do you think possible electrical,computer issue..crank position sensor.
reset code 200 kms ago and still hasnt come back on but problem still exist.

silver 2004 ralliart
2.4l 5spd.
no moods what so ever yet.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:07 PM

compression test?

btw sorry about all the bad luck with your RA
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:16 PM

haven't done that but still runs and sounds perfect till what seems to be a rev limiter cutting it out @ higher rpms. there seems to be no drop in low end power. however she riding nice again after 2 new pirelli's and a proper balance last kid @ canadain tire didn't know what he was doing
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:22 PM

Finally

took a bit but got it figured out it was the connection point where the clip met the crankshaft possition sensor just above the alternator...just so happened to lean over motor while revving it and touched the clip the motor shut down,, did it a couple more time just to make sure and pulled it apart. nothing seemed wrong with the conn itself but cleaned them sensor clean and it would not fire for forst 10 minutes after waiting for things to dry..unplugged it and shove it back in and i had my revs back....planning on replacing sensor it gave me a code of p0335...and clip i have of parts car.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Can you take a pic of the clip you'retalking about?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try looking at the crank sensor....check to coorsion since you are in Ontario (as am I) you know the amount of salt used on out roads. If all is good there then check the sensor it self. It is sounding like the sensor cant pick up the signal.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

You will get a 5k rev limit if mivec is not working or if the ECU is in limp-home mode.

-Michael
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Limp mode wouldnt even let me go over 3000 rpm, so i doubt it was limp mode.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:56 PM

i think its fixed now.. 100kms of hard driving today and no issues's.

it was the clip where it plug clip that held tightly in place was broke. after the other night it did it to me again but fixed clip and all seems good no problem with hitting 6200 again.

not that i do that all the time just 50% of the on ramps to the 401..

i still don't know who this little clip being a little loose could cause it to do what it did, but just happy no codes popping up, running good and driving good due to new tread on the rims..

so hackish what the first thing you recomend to gain a few extra hp in a few mnths when finished paying for it??...tire of friend in his subaru legacy gt killing me would love to stay with him when he gets his license back in 8mnths...he got nailed drinking and driving, dumb ***. but gives me a chance to improve my ride a bit.(hopefully hes not doing the same, hopefully he is saving for insurance when he gets back on the road)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

*Cough*Nitrous*Cough* Subaru wouldn't be behind you