Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build (rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build (rebuild)

Well, the unthinkable has happened...i was on my way home from work friday, and as i hit my exit, i downshifted to fourth at around 80-90km/h which isn't that hard of a downshift, but i roasted my timing belt ...here's a little story of how things are going to play out...i'll be updating my progress as i go along...

Anyways what ended up happening was the crank sprocket stripped enough teeth off the timing belt that when i downshifted, it let go, and the crank kept turning, while the cam was not...so the pistons then beat up the valves as i quicky took it out of gear and rolled to stop...

LET THIS BE A WARNING to those who are racking up their mileage...i assumed the timing belt would have been changed since i bought the car with 120,000km on, but it was not changed, and according to mitsubishi, i was not due for timing belt until 105,000mi, or 168,000km...i'm at 163,000km....the really ****ty part was that this same weekend i was going to do my timing belt and water pump, but ended up tearing down the head instead...

Used my CAA to bring her home...
Name:  Photo0054.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  115.4 KB
Name:  Photo0056.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  149.5 KB

So, i forgot to download the pics from my phone, and left my usb cable at home, so i can't post the pics until friday, but i spent 4-5 hours taking the head off, mind you i had to keep driving to the store everytime i needed a tool, because my tools are in Borden where i work, cause i'm helping a friend with his nissan sentra...but anyways i did get the head off, and surprisingly enough, it appears only the exhaust valves made contact with the pistons, and upon inspection, the exhaust valves appear to be seated correctly, but theres no way to tell for sure if they are, and how badly they are damaged...but i have to take the head apart anyway to have it machined...will post pics later...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 10, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats a ****ty deal man, sorry to hear. that makes me think i'm gonna have to do mine soon...i just hit 133km and as far as i know it hasnt been done... i'll have to look into it for sure.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
EXACTLY how i roasted my engine the first time when I missed a bolt when installing my header/dp (not the downshifting part since im AT but the stripping the teeth part)

want to know my solution?

bought the RRM P/P Head!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roblaza
thats a ****ty deal man, sorry to hear. that makes me think i'm gonna have to do mine soon...i just hit 133km and as far as i know it hasnt been done... i'll have to look into it for sure.
Do it soon man, i'm still on stock horsepower, and upon inspection of the belt, the underside of the belt was down to the metal wire, and most of the teeth were on the verge of getting chewed...this is a ****ing headache you don't need, i'm lucky and have more than one vehicle, and i work for the man, so my paychecks are consistent...i know you told me you're in in school still, so you don't need this...

Originally Posted by Raikiri
bought the RRM P/P Head!
they charge too much for parts, with a little down time i can have my head ported for less...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 10, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK

they charge too much for parts, with a little down time i can have my head ported for less...
there's no shops around here familiar with the 4g69 and what works so I just went with a setup that i KNOW works. to each his own though.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

That sucks man, come back stronger!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:07 PM

Aye sorry to hear that.. Effin timing belts for our cars are just a piece of scrap metal.. This happens to almost all lancers .. I heard so much stories of their pistons purging out off the block.. Thanks for sharing.. This def puts it up on top of my maintenance list! On another note. You better finish that up so we can do our meet soon! 
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

pics of progress or gtfo
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Same happened to me, busted the belt a couple days before we were gunna swap it
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:11 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man that sucks bro, I hope it all works out for you in the end. I had some misfortune with my car as well over the weekend ( see my thread for details) but hey man you can get that head ported and polished, maybe a delta cam, port the intake manifold, ... I should stop now or i'll probably never stop, lol. Keep us posted though
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

****ty...I got my car used as well and am just over 170k km...No idea when the timing belt was done either so I had it done anyway. Good luck with the build...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Cranswick, if you want I think I have a spare head here from an engine where the oil pump exploded. The head itself might not be OK but the valves are. You can have it all for a case of beer

-Michael
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:43 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hackish
Cranswick, if you want I think I have a spare head here from an engine where the oil pump exploded. The head itself might not be OK but the valves are. You can have it all for a case of beer

-Michael
Now that's a pretty damn good deal
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

valves is all i need! i was going to ask you about it actually even before brent brought it up, but i wasn't sure if you had spares, or just the one on that engine in the corner...

what kind of beer you drink?

p.s. went to mitsubishi today actually cause i need the valves pretty soon, and figured the dealer would be quicker to receive the parts than if i order online, but they wants $70 ea for exhaust valves...WTF

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 14, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:00 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Damn 70 bucks each for oem valves that's a ripp off. I know of a place you can get a whole set of custom made valves for like 400...

Quick Reply: CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build (rebuild)