Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

REVIEW: SDK Motorsports Ported and Polished Intake Manifold (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REVIEW: SDK Motorsports Ported and Polished Intake Manifold (with pics)

Hey guys, I've been dealing with SDK Motorsports over in Calexico, CA for the past while after contacting EvoM member 'sideck' about parts and services he was offering in the Lancer classifieds. After a mishap with USPS (errr.. they lost the original completed parts, my cores..) and after sitting and waiting things out for awhile, I'd finally received my ported and polished intake manifold, as well as a bored out/polished throttle body (more info on their journey seen later)

When it comes to these things pictures are probably better than explanations so here's a wackload of pics, I tried to show as much as I can:

Top View:

Bottom View:

Runners:

Ported runner close up (down and around as far as he could go...

In the plenum:

Throttle body opening was widened to 65mm:

And the here's a loook inside of the IM:

If you're wondering about using a themo-blocking gasket, I think this is a very good fit (not bad for a Cali port job and an Ausi gasket)

Here are some pics of the bored/polished throttle body. I had originally sent a 63mm to have it widened out to a 65mm and have both the intake and mani side polished, but that TB was lost in the mail. So, SDK replaced it with (what I think is) a 60mm TB core and bored it out to a 65mm (mani side) and opened up and polished the intake side the best that they could:

Pics from TB install (it works pretty good! improved throttle response, better low end, and more of a rushing noise when flooring it/more growl when really stepping on it):

I will have the intake manifold installed shortly in the future, but I think the pics speak for themselves.

OVERALL:

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 10/10
I kept in contact with SDK every week (being ~2800km or ~1740 miles away) and they replied to my emails so quick sometimes I didn't even realize I'd gotten a response I was in constant contact from before sending them my cores, all the way to the end when I'd finally gotten my parts. All of my questions were answered, and even though I am so far away, SDK was nothing but honest! *I even learned some things about the guy I was in business with (Luis, I believe he is the owner/operator) the conversations were casual, well mannered, but very professional.

The main story here I'd like to share is that I had probably been waiting about a good month or two after the work had been done and the parts had been shipped out *to realize something may have gone wrong with the shipping, and I was pretty antsy at this point. *I'd contacted them before on the matter, and they would check with the postal service to tell me I should see them soon. I'd sent them an email asking about the status on my order and SDK was not afraid to tell me that after some investigatioon my package may have been lost, and after visiting the post office in person, they had confirmed that the box(es) were MIA. We were both disappointed to hear this. SDK sent me an IM they had available for retail ASAP and quickly used an OG 60mm (could have been a 63mm but I think the part # is for a 60mm, EAC60-020?) TB core to bore it out and polish it up, these cores were *"in better shape then the ones you had sent us". The replacements were sent to me practically that day (shipping paid), and I received them about a week and a half later. Bravo!

THE MACHINE WORK: 9/10
The porting and polishing on these items is extremely clean, consistent, and well done overall. You can see the craftsmanship in the end result, even the gasket mating surfaces and vacuum/coolant *nubs appear to have all been cleaned up. I would have liked to maybe have seen the runners opened up a little more (not sure if they'd been gasket matched) but I'm still very happy with the turn out.

The runners are VERY clean, they were ported and polished as what appears to be the full way around. Locally, I was told that these would have to be cut in half to do completely and then be put back together ($$$) but it looks like the runners were machined almost from opening to opening. The TB opening was widened up to 65mm as my request to match a larger throttle body, and this was done very well, the opening is very consistent (ie. looks like a perfect circle, not a squished donut..) *The plenum appears to have been touched up on the insider, and potentially around the runners in side the chamber/

The RPW gasket lines up great, which I was half expecting it to be a little too small or a little to big, but this uncertainty was proven false very soon.

Essentially, as much porting and polishing as possible appears to have been done on the core, and it was done for what I would call *exceptionally well.

APPEARANCE: 8/10
The coating on the manifold wasn't exactly what I was expecting, *I was thinking of something more textured but to be honest, the coating matches very well with my exhaust header (heat coated black) so I think it's pretty good for what you pay for, maybe I should have mentioned the ceramic coating is free of charge, and you have the choice of (I think): black, red, white, or what looked like a grayish coat.

The manifold was a little marked up on arrival, but I think that may be due to mocking up or test fitting the parts. I say no big deal, as I'm sure they might end up looking a little worse after I bump and ding the manifold in when I get around to installing it in the next few weeks I'm a stickler for such things though, I re-did my exhaust header black twice because I'd marked it up in a few areas..

The TB was supposed to be coated as well, but unfortunately the original TB is MIA, so the replacement core simply had the machine work done to it before being sent off, which is entirely understandable giving the circumstances *

OVERALL TRANSACTION AND EXPERIENCE: 9/10

*SDK offered great customer service and support. The work is quality, being so far away I have a feeling any other shop would have tried pulling my leg, but not SDK. The end result is definitely impressive. *I don't think I can be any more satisfied with my decision, and I look forward to doing business with them in the future. SDK sent a few business cards and a decal in the package, and I've given away 2 or 3 business cards already. Good job guys.

Last edited by lanzerralliart; May 16, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's great that SDK was honourable and things worked out to your satisfaction. Now install that manifold and let us know how it goes.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm about to do mine as well. How much did it cost and are they flexible to paint it in an other color?
Old May 16, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

After talking it over, due to the shipping costs, I paid about ~$250.00 in total (supplying my own core, not figuring in the cost of the extra mani to keep my daily driver), and not figuring in the throttle body.

If you don't specify a color I believe they will just coat it black, but there is some flexibility in the basic colors, nothing flashy but for a few couple $ I'm sure they could work something out

I am extremely grateful for what SDK did for me, a lot of the machine and performance shops around here said the manifold was too weirdly shaped for them.. but sideck (aka Luis @ SDK) said it was no problem at all, I should be installing the IM this coming weekend or the next weekend. I'm hoping to have my full parts list installed by the end of next month

Here's what it looks like right now (minus the DP in my trunk) haha
Old May 16, 2011, 06:43 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Nice , when are you going to start installing all of those upgrades???!?!!
Old May 16, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
is your cylinder head ported as well?

nice parts btw
Old May 16, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be making a trip to my uncle's personal shop sometime soon hopefully, I'll be calling him today to set up a weekend garage session. He's got all the right stuff compared to my jack stands and ratchet set haha. My impact gun is only good for 90PSI and I couldn't even get the DP bolts off with that :P. The only thing is that it's a two and a half hour drive out of town, through a valley that is currently flooded like a lake lol

I'm getting tired of the part collection building up but it will be well worth the wait when I get to make that same drive shorter on the way home .

@ CrAnSwIcK, I've considered a ported cylinder head because what I have right now would DEFINITELY benefit from it. I've looked for a cylinder head core that I could send off but they aren't a very popular item. If for some reason the timing belt goes or the head gasket takes a hike (rendering the DD lifeless.. hopefully not in the near future though lol) then I would take that as the opportune time to get it done
Old May 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Yeah I just installed my full p&p head and delta cam it's a new car , drives completely different. Once hackish releases his software I'm going to get a tune to see it's full potential.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Yeah I just installed my full p&p head and delta cam it's a new car , drives completely different. Once hackish releases his software I'm going to get a tune to see it's full potential.
Pics, video, and poster to put up on my wall plz
Old May 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

The IM (among other parts) is going in next weekend, the original plan was to do everything this weekend but for some reason there's still a chevy van and a combine in the uncle's shop.. gr.

Will have before/after video once this gets done
Old May 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Intake manifold's been installed.

Had a very interesting evening.. pics will be up tomorrow..

EDIT:

Pics of install and other stuff, sorry for any bad quality, was out of town with a dying phone, the SLR wasn't on my travel list lol:

Stock intake manifold, there's more stuff to move then I'd thought (obviously EGR, plug wires, fuel injectors with the fuel rail and fuel line, the thermostat housing, various wiring harnesses and brackets, etc..)

Stock intake manifold removed:

Old vs new:

RPW Gasket goes on:

SDK intake manifold popped in (needed to make adjustments for fitting due to the RPW gasket..):

All sealed up, header/dp on, bored/polished TB installed as well AKA completed:

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; May 29, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'll try and get some better photo's of the manifold with the plastic engine cover removed a little bit later.

Looks very comfortable in the engine bay! Color matched manifolds (exhaust and intake) looks deadly

My stock DP on the other hand, did not look so nice.

Tubing was completely crushed and flattened, and the flex pipe flops around like a wet noodle. Complete garbage:

Most of my idle and creep (fwd, reverse) noises have been eliminated after swapping this out. DEFINITELY breathing better too.

I reeeeally need a catback or axle back now haha.

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; May 29, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:54 PM

I'm gonna PnP with SDK. Should I send the GT 65mm TB along with the IM?

That PnP looks hella clean, I'm gonna do the se as soon as I can get my hands on another IM and GT 65mm TB. Should I send the TB to SDK along with tw IM? How does SDK match up the ports without the head?
Old May 29, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'd sent the throttle body in the same package as the intake manifold, when I had gotten the replacement cores they'd arrived in the same box as well. It would probably be best to keep them together depending on who you're shipping with and what the available insurance is.

I believe they have core(s) available to do the porting, and if not I would think they would have corresponding specs available to do the work from previous jobs. As far as I know SDK also has a ported and polished head available
Old May 31, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

How does the car sound with the new downpipe ?
Is it any louder?
I think the crushed section on the stock DP was by design to increase back pressure and thereby bottom end torque.

Quick Reply: REVIEW: SDK Motorsports Ported and Polished Intake Manifold (with pics)