Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Official Delta Camshaft Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official Delta Camshaft Thread

Mods please consider sticky-ing this thread as I hope to make a very informative thread.

I hope this thread will become the central point for all custom camshaft related questions, information, reviews, issues, etc. in relation to our platform.

It's well known that the 04-06 RA is an afterthought in the aftermarket world. Companies that make well designed parts for our platform can be counted on one hand...sad. As such we are subject to the supply-demand principle with the edge going to the vendors. It's understandable, but I wanted a cheap alternative for a performance camshaft badly.

Around October last year our dear friend Lanzer informed me that Delta Camshaft (http://www.deltacam.com/) out in Tacoma, Wa specialized in camshaft regrinds. My mind immediately said hell yeah, and so I was off to research. My main concern was the durability of the reground camshaft. After I was comfortable with the information I was reading I decided it was time to give Delta a call.

My main correspondence was with Ken Quale, I believe he owns Delta. Considering they had never done a 4g69 profile but had done plenty other DSM's and 4g64, I was comfortable and apprehensive at the same time. I sourced a camshaft from Louis at SDK Motorsports and sent it off to Delta. Ken kept me informed throughout the entire process and explained to me what he saw as limitations in regrinding the OEM camshaft. At that time the total cost for a custom regrind including shipping was $106. No that is not a misprint

I received my camshaft just after X-MAS and was excited for install. My installation was performed by Dent Sport Garage in Norwood, Ma. They specialize in Mitsubishis, and with all their skill the labor was 6-7 hours. Don't expect labor to be any faster. It's a complex component and re-adjusting our valves is a PITA.

I dynoed the same day, with only 2 miles of breaking in new cam! Dyno type was an AWD Dyno Dynamics. Results as follows.

These results are very good on this dyno. The car made the same power that 1st gen USDM WRX's make on this dyno. Notice the smooth powerband, and no Mivec blip (@3500 rpms), I attribute that to the reflash doing a damn good job in adjusting to the more aggressive Mivec profile. From a performance standpoint, the profile doesn't give you large kick in the pants, but a noticeable one, but what's impressive truly is how you make power throughout the entire band.

Here is a video clip I made of how Mivec sounds when it engages, significantly more noticeable.....FYI it wasn't WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKl7ThxlA_Y

I have all the specs of the reground cam in Word document format. Once I have converted those to the appropriate format I will upload those two documents.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up but the dyno results are not showing.

My Mivec doesn't sound anything like yours, I'll try to take a video and post it.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Is anyone else not seeing the dyno charts? I have it as a clickable thumbnail.

Dacib I saw you other thread, it could very well be that Mivec engagement is controlled differently with the automatic transmission. Hopefully GDS, Otter, or SSP can chime in more on this topic.

Last edited by Ralliartize It; Jun 15, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralliartize It
Is anyone else not seeing the dyno charts? I have it as a clickable thumbnail.

Dacib I saw you other thread, it could very well be that Mivec engagement is controlled differently with the automatic transmission. Hopefully GDS, Otter, or SSP can chime in more on this topic.
The clickable thumbnail worked fine for me.

Sheesh, nobody comes to me for advice anymore...
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
The clickable thumbnail worked fine for me.

Sheesh, nobody comes to me for advice anymore...
Please take no offense Mys haha. Just off the top of my head was naming off a few of the senior guys, I am sure there are people that I've missed.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Are they able to do a more aggressive cam profile? What did you dyno at before the cam?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

typically mid 130's
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cj98
Are they able to do a more aggressive cam profile? What did you dyno at before the cam?
I don't think they will do a more aggressive profile, and truthfully it's not worth it until we get better engine management. I did not dyno before, I already blew like 1K between all the work I had done.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:27 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
delta made a more aggressive cam profile but last I heard it was giving alot of trouble even with though they were using a standalone
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
delta made a more aggressive cam profile but last I heard it was giving alot of trouble even with though they were using a standalone
Lanzer do you recall what platform this was for?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:54 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

the conversation was verbal with Ken, I want to say with a mirage but I'm not 100%. I'm friends with Edwin on Facebook I'll see if there is a postitive update on it.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have an aggressive profile that works but "fine" tuning is a must
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:37 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

I talked with Edwin he was able to pull 191whp and 187ft/tq before moving on to a 6g72 swap , he sold the stage 1 cam and hasn't got anymore info on the stage 2.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Who's Edwin? Forgive me for my bad memory.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:09 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Edwin is a member here from PR , I can't recall his screen name, maybe he will chime in sometime soon. He does the 4g69 mirage swaps as well as others.

Quick Reply: Official Delta Camshaft Thread