Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

5spd issue please help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5spd issue please help

Hello all,

So I have this issue with my tranny and its driving me crazy. The issue is I have no reverse at all. I used to be able to get it into reverse with some coaxing but now I cant get it into reverse at all. A guy that ripped me off said it was the snycro and he supposedly put in a new one as well as a new hub but the issue didnt go away and actually just got worse. reverse is the only gear i have issues. at first I thought maybe it might be the shift cable but if that was the issue I believe that 5th would have an issue as well. I am wondering if maybe theres a reverse lockout that might be stuck? I dunno its driving me batty and I am getting tired of pushing my car backwards to back it up. I was thinking about rebuilding the entire thing but I am not sure where I can get the parts to do so. I couldnt find the answers to my question but I could be looking with the wrong search lol.

Thank you in advanced.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Can you get it in reverse with the car off?

My experience (not much but I'll try) it may be synchros, or linkage. Does it flat out not go into gear? Or does it grind and go in?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Good call Mark, if it's synchros or a worn gear, you'll have to disassemble the transmission...for the synchro or gear, it's not too bad, cause the reverse gear is on the end of the output shaft, which is good cause there's a lot of stuff on the output shaft. i doubt it's the control, rail or fork if 5th speed works.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe someone was looking for 6th gear?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't know there were synchros in reverse...in any car since you don't go into reverse at anything above 0mph basically. Try letting the car roll a small amount or slowly letting the clutch out while you hold the shifter towards reverse andi when it goes into reverse either drive or push the clutter back in.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drew1
Didn't know there were synchros in reverse...in any car since you don't go into reverse at anything above 0mph basically. Try letting the car roll a small amount or slowly letting the clutch out while you hold the shifter towards reverse andi when it goes into reverse either drive or push the clutter back in.
there is a synchro on the reverse gear...the sleeve has to select the gear, and normally you can engage reverse while rolling forward, in "clutch neutral"...pretty sure the evo transmission is similar on the inside.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drew1
Are cars have 3peice synchros for 1/2 and 1peice synchronize for 3-5/R
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by splay
Hello all,

So I have this issue with my tranny and its driving me crazy. The issue is I have no reverse at all. I used to be able to get it into reverse with some coaxing but now I cant get it into reverse at all. A guy that ripped me off said it was the snycro and he supposedly put in a new one as well as a new hub but the issue didnt go away and actually just got worse. reverse is the only gear i have issues. at first I thought maybe it might be the shift cable but if that was the issue I believe that 5th would have an issue as well. I am wondering if maybe theres a reverse lockout that might be stuck? I dunno its driving me batty and I am getting tired of pushing my car backwards to back it up. I was thinking about rebuilding the entire thing but I am not sure where I can get the parts to do so. I couldnt find the answers to my question but I could be looking with the wrong search lol.

Thank you in advanced.
Could be 3things synchro, selector, gear. First if u can shift all gears but R fine its not linkage. If R synchro was changed but selector was damaged from neglect the gear will also be damaged and in return would redamage the synchro. Read gear is 130, synchro is 20, selector is 60 from mitsubishiparts.net
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:24 AM

Ok sorry guys didnt even turn on the comp weekend.

NO the car will not go into reverse rolling at a dead stop car off I even tried double clutching it. It used to go in with a little work but would grind some or "clunk" into gear. only reverse is effected. I didnt think it would be the linkage or cables but its been baffeling me. Supposedly the hub and syncro were both replaced but after my experience with the guy I cant really say it really was. But with the machiene gear and the car not rolling or even on wouldnt the hub still go on the gear even if the syncro is messed up? Ive read some cars now have solinoids that keep the car from going into reverse GM has one that is a known problem child. do we have anything like that or a reverse lock out that could be stuck? if not i guess its the gear and i gotta get those parts and replace them. sad thing is those prices you quoted are way less than what this guy charged me just for the parts lol.

Thank you in advanced.

Also since I no longer let other people do any work on my car at all are there any diagrams and steps on how to make these repairs?

Thank you again
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Ok sorry guys didnt even turn on the comp weekend.

NO the car will not go into reverse rolling at a dead stop car off I even tried double clutching it. It used to go in with a little work but would grind some or "clunk" into gear. only reverse is effected. I didnt think it would be the linkage or cables but its been baffeling me. Supposedly the hub and syncro were both replaced but after my experience with the guy I cant really say it really was. But with the machiene gear and the car not rolling or even on wouldnt the hub still go on the gear even if the syncro is messed up? Ive read some cars now have solinoids that keep the car from going into reverse GM has one that is a known problem child. do we have anything like that or a reverse lock out that could be stuck? if not i guess its the gear and i gotta get those parts and replace them. sad thing is those prices you quoted are way less than what this guy charged me just for the parts lol.

Thank you in advanced.

Also since I no longer let other people do any work on my car at all are there any diagrams and steps on how to make these repairs?

Thank you again
Hub should never have to be replaced, I honestly think your problem is the dogs are flat on R (same problem I have/had with second gear) read through my tranny problems...still...really post it will help but I think u need to replace the R selector and gear and maybe synchro again pm me and ill email u the manual that has the transmission rebuild section
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

there's no solenoid to prevent you from going into reverse, it's all mechanical, and has to do with the synchro, it's like you can't downshift to 1st from 70mph, the synchro won't let you, i mean you probably could, but you'd have to REALLY force it in...and you'd probably grind the dogs flat by trying. Like rob said the dog gears are probably fubar, they should look like little houses, but yours probably look like squares, lol...pm him and he'll hook you up, Rob is the only other guy i know that knows our transmission as well as i do, but i'm flying to charleston SC this afternoon, and i'll be bringing a different computer, so i won't have ASA/CAPS or the service manual on hand for the next 3 months, lol...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:51 AM

Oh wow have a safe and fun trip man. And thank you all for the help I really appreciate the help.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
there's no solenoid to prevent you from going into reverse, it's all mechanical, and has to do with the synchro, it's like you can't downshift to 1st from 70mph, the synchro won't let you, i mean you probably could, but you'd have to REALLY force it in...and you'd probably grind the dogs flat by trying. Like rob said the dog gears are probably fubar, they should look like little houses, but yours probably look like squares, lol...pm him and he'll hook you up, Rob is the only other guy i know that knows our transmission as well as i do, but i'm flying to charleston SC this afternoon, and i'll be bringing a different computer, so i won't have ASA/CAPS or the service manual on hand for the next 3 months, lol...
Yeah there is a spring enabled tab that gets moved when going into 5th and only way to get in R is to neutral the shifter so u can't go direct from 5-R

Best of luck man I hope your service goes well
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:40 AM

Thank you will probably be the end of the month at the earliest before i can get the parts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you will probably be the end of the month at the earliest before i can get the parts
ig u were in toronto id offer you help but florida is a little bit of a drive :P

Quick Reply: 5spd issue please help