Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Car feels fast when cold outside and so slow when hot outside

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car feels fast when cold outside and so slow when hot outside

I know theres someone that feels the same thing as me ! My car feels so fast when its cold outside ! But when it gets hot outside its feels so slow almost like its not the same car ?! Can anyone help ?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This is completely normal, nothing to fear, happens to every car ever made.

Cold air has molecules that are closer together, this creates a higher density air with more molecules per cubic inch/centimeter.

On the other side, hot air causes the molecules to spread farther apart, so the air has a lower density per volume.

When you engine sucks in air, it is restricted on how much volume it can pull into the chamber and ignite, so when the air is colder, that same volume of air in the chamber is more dense and has more molecules to ignite and create power. So the car is faster.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:12 AM

What would help this so it doesnt affect it so much ? Its so weird !
Old Mar 1, 2016, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A turbo?

I've heard rumours that a CRI can help balance this out but I'm not sure how true this is....
Old Mar 1, 2016, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by paroshann
A turbo?

I've heard rumours that a CRI can help balance this out but I'm not sure how true this is....
Wish it wasnt 4 grand lol on rrm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

There isn't really anything you can do about it, cars just make more power in the cold. Turbo or not, colder air makes more power in the internal combustion air. The main thing a turbo would help with is if you air at a higher elevation like Denver, higher altitude means less air density so the turbo will compact the air and make the power back.

But all cars (minus electric/hydrogen) will make more power at a low altitude when the air is cold. It's just how it works.

If you got an aftermarket intake, like AMS or ETS, they sit in the engine bay and will generally suck in warmer air from the engine compartment, so this can help balance the issue. BUT you would most likely require a tune, and the intercooler would still make the air colder/warmer than standard based on the outside air temperature so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

TL;DR: Nothing can be done, it's just how engines work. Your car will be more fun/faster when it's cold.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm aware of the power difference effect - it is noticable, and normal.

In the how-to section I posted about bringing an extra air feed from the enclosed wheel well area into the airbox. You should be able to do that mod without relocating the battery if you use 2" diameter pipe instead of the 3" I used, and it would still work very well. If you have the stock exhaust (i.e. quiet) the new intake sound is quite glorious actually. This might help with the performance difference. (no, you don't have to spend $$$ on an intake)
Old Mar 1, 2016, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Routing an intake pipe down to the wheel well has its own issue, i.e. debris and water. But that isn't going to change the fact that the car is pulling in air from the outside where it is a certain temperature. And that temperature is going to have an affect on the air density, which will affect the psi the turbo puts out, which is then affected by the outside ambient air temperature flowing through the intercooler making it colder/warmer than standard operating temps, which then affects density again going into the combustion chamber.

This is physics and thermal properties of air. It's just how engines work. No mod you do, or any change to the car is going to change the fact that an internal combustion engine makes more power when the air is cold and dense.

This is why turbos have a tendency to overboost in the cold air temps, cold air = more power = more turbo rpm = more boost.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
@Evo>PS4 the car model these guys are talking about is not turbocharged. So talking about intercoolers and such helps them none.

@Ralli_Red yea it happens. SRI will neutralize the affect to a degree but not in a beneficial way. Your just sucking up more hot air from inside the engine bay. A cold air intake or RalliartN's intake system would be the way to go to get the coolest air possible in the summer. Just enjoy it in the winter time. LOL
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

bakuro
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

From what I understood that ralliart model comes with a turbo as well? just smaller than the evo model. Was this different before the X generation?

But regardless, with or without a turbo/intercooler set up, cold air is always more dense and creates more power. It's just a fact of life.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Your right on the cold air thing.

The original ralliart (2004-06 Lancer) was a 2.4l FWD lancer with ground effects, evo VII GTA seats, 5 lug hubs with enkei wheels, and a better suspension than the lower models. The new body style is where they made it into a baby evo.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, well thanks for clarifying that. The only pre-X lancer I've seen in person was an OZ rally model, not sure if that's the ralliart version or not. But it definitely wasn't a turbo model.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Nope.

DE < ES < LS (sportback) < OZ-Rally < Ralliart (sportback) < Evo
Old Mar 2, 2016, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo>PS4?
This is physics and thermal properties of air. It's just how engines work.
I appreciate your thoughts... however. I have a physics degree and worked for a decade as an aerospace thermal analyst (not kidding). I didn't claim a "cold air intake" supplies colder air than ambient, I suggested sucking air from the enclosed part of the wheelwell might mitigate some of the effect the op noticed (for more reasons than your simplistic assumption). Please read the referred post before deciding my suggestions are ignorant. In fact, reading any of the more in-depth posts in the 04-06 RA section will illustrate how technically talented, and cerebral, many of the contributors are.

Quick Reply: Car feels fast when cold outside and so slow when hot outside