Notices

powder coat stock rims

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powder coat stock rims

ok i decided , imma powder coat my rims. Yah I read all the stuff about how they can crack and blah blah but imma do it anyways. I talked to a shop and its only 200$ for all four wheels. I cant stand my stock wheel color. But hey i need some opinions , I have a 04 yellow ralliart and soon to have black tint , what color should i power coat rims? Black ? shiny black? Gunmetal? Anyone have any good colors?
Old Oct 27, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gunmetal. but i can stress enough that you should be careful =] thats $50/rim. i can almost promise that you will have trouble =] I would put the $200 towards a set of konig's. Thats almost 1/2 the cash you need, anyway! plus u get a bigger/lighter rim. Even if they are painted, they are still stock /w the stock rubber. weakest point on our car, hands down.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

well i been looking around and for some nice rims with wheels and aliment blah it comes to like 1000$ and i only have 700$ righht now.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sp0rk
well i been looking around and for some nice rims with wheels and aliment blah it comes to like 1000$ and i only have 700$ righht now.
seriously save your $700. It's not worth it. I'm going to agree with blk-majik. Go save your cash and look into a set of Konig's, nice, light and cheap (er). If that is still too expensive. Look into a set of ADR's or even Ikon. Ikon Wheels actually have a really nice looking wheel out right now that looks identical to the 5Zigen Hyper's. Really nice rim.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

get enkei wheels =)

-joe
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

yea dont bother wasting you money on powder coating. i was thinking the samething. i just ended up painting my rims myself and start saving for new rims.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Mine came out awsome. I would post a picture, but its too large. Email me and ill send you a photo. Half the rims in the world are powder coated. Use a reputable shop. He will tell you he has done thousands of rims with no problems. There is alot of paranoia, but mine are awsome and i run hard. Go with satin black. Flat shows shinny scratches and gloss shows flat scratches. Satin is most durable. I paid the same $200 and got a killer job!!! RRR
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

oh and call AZAUTOGRAPHICS.COM and order 4 x 3/4 inch enkie stickers in chrome. F'ing badass!!! EMAIL me..... RRR
Old Oct 28, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Powdercoating rims is BAD BAD BAD!!!

The heat they use to cure the coating messes with the metallic properties of the rim if it isn't cooled correctly. There was a thread about that already. The guys rim broke, at high speed, from the stress.

Ended up with a broken rim and a wrecked car.

Just say NO.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXRalliArt
Powdercoating rims is BAD BAD BAD!!!

The heat they use to cure the coating messes with the metallic properties of the rim if it isn't cooled correctly. There was a thread about that already. The guys rim broke, at high speed, from the stress.

Ended up with a broken rim and a wrecked car.

Just say NO.

Quit spreading misinformation! GEEZ! POWDER COATING IS NOT BAD IF DONE CORRECTLY! LOW TEMP 9 250-275 degree cure powder is fine on on aluminum wheels. It's 400 + degree cure powder that COULD cause stress factures. I spoke with Enkei yesterday in JAX and he gave me the number to Enkei Japan and the guy there told me there wheels are perfectly fine to powder coat. If your gonna give advice make sure you know what your talking about.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

My bad... I guess I misread this thread........

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=powdercoating

I didn't know about the low cure PC.

Is it really worth the risk?
Old Oct 28, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

post pics rraulston
Old Oct 28, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXRalliArt
My bad... I guess I misread this thread........

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=powdercoating

I didn't know about the low cure PC.

Is it really worth the risk?

There is no risk, Alum is heated to that temp when they make the wheels. SO the risk does not exsist.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Tell that to this guy.....

The curing process for powdercoating is typically between 350-450F. This extra heat cycle is extremely detrimental to the integrity of most cast aluminum alloys. They get brittle, crack, and snap when under heavy load, like what a wheel experiences. Most powdercoating shops do not have the $100k equipment needed for controlled temperature increases and decreases and this is extremely stressful on the metal. A mass produced wheel will have it's original coating done and cured by such a machine, if it is even powdercoated at all.
Your missing the point...

TOTALLY

You might be OK, you might not. The bottom line is that the shop you take it to has to know what they are doing. If its done wrong, like in the pic above, its too late. The low temp PC is probably OK, but why risk it?

There is no risk, Alum is heated to that temp when they make the wheels. SO the risk does not exsist.
Look up ANNEAL. Then check out how ANNEALING affects aluminum, CAST aluminum in particular. And look up at what temperature aluminum is annealed.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well I'll tell ya what, I will take the word of the manufacturer of my wheels then some internet "genius" Bottom line is I have the guys name and his reccomendation on PC so if they fail then guess what, then can be held liable. Thats not me talking, that's his exact words to me.

You go with the "bad bad bad" theory, I'll do what ENKEI says is safe.

PS - A wheel with a HIGH MAGNESIUM content in the metal would become brittle at a lower temp them one with a low magnesium content.