Notices

Engine block heater

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine block heater

Have any of you got this? I'm looking for a review before I get one.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

someone in Canada has to have this
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thinking about getting one, but snow tires will come first. Funds are kinda tight right now.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:58 PM
EJM

Just for the record. I am Canadian I live in Canada and I do not have a polar bear in the neighborhood.

A while back my stepdaughter noticed an electrical plug coming out the from of a car. I convinced her that this was an electric car just to tease her. She was born and raised her in her teens and hadn't ever noticed one before.

My point is that, where I live it is probably warmer than 80 percent of the US. I have a tee time in an hour and will golf every month this year as I have for the past twenty years.

Regards
EJM

ps: A block heater is a great idea for a cold climate. I wouldn't be caught dead without one in the rest of Canada
Old Nov 19, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJM
Just for the record. I am Canadian I live in Canada and I do not have a polar bear in the neighborhood.

A while back my stepdaughter noticed an electrical plug coming out the from of a car. I convinced her that this was an electric car just to tease her. She was born and raised her in her teens and hadn't ever noticed one before.

My point is that, where I live it is probably warmer than 80 percent of the US. I have a tee time in an hour and will golf every month this year as I have for the past twenty years.

Regards
EJM

ps: A block heater is a great idea for a cold climate. I wouldn't be caught dead without one in the rest of Canada
I don't think it's possible to get a car without a block heater here. It's not even a question, walk to any dealership, pop the hood on any car and there will be a cord there. Walk up to any old POS and pop the hood, the cord will be tucked right there
When it gets to -40, a block heater is probably a good idea. I am not looking forward to running my car through cold like that, cars don't like it
Old Nov 19, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJM
My point is that, where I live it is probably warmer than 80 percent of the US.
In winter, yeah. Summer? No. Vancouver Island has a very mild climate. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. One of the advantages of being on an island in the Pacific. I think he's talking about the rest of Canadia (), though, where it gets cold.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 06:09 AM

The block heater is not installed by default in Canada for the 2004 RalliArt. It is an extra option. Yes, I do have one on my car. I have not used it yet. However, if you live in Canada... except Vancouver Island I would not be caught without one in January and February. The engine is a 4 cylinder and may have difficulty starting if it is to cold. Get one as you may find yourself boosting the car often.

Oh yeah... I think the block heater is a 30 dollar cdn part. However, labour is about 100+ dollars as it takes 3 hours to install.

Best of luck!
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerRalliArt
However, labour is about 100+ dollars as it takes 3 hours to install.
What makes it take 3 hours to install? Wondering, because I'd rather buy the part, and install it myself than pay the dealer to install it.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

The block heater is not installed by default in Canada for the 2004 RalliArt. It is an extra option. Yes, I do have one on my car. I have not used it yet. However, if you live in Canada... except Vancouver Island I would not be caught without one in January and February. The engine is a 4 cylinder and may have difficulty starting if it is to cold. Get one as you may find yourself boosting the car often.

Oh yeah... I think the block heater is a 30 dollar cdn part. However, labour is about 100+ dollars as it takes 3 hours to install.

Best of luck!
It's an extra part, but only because places like California don't want a block heater. I think over 90% of cars in Canada are ordered with a block heater. We have never had a car without a block heater, it's just a given that the cord will be right there. We also have never asked for a block heater, they are always there.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 02:59 AM

3 hours... because you have to remove the block so that you can put the heater on it. I would let the dealer do it or you void all chances of having any warranty. If you have never removed a block before I would leave it to the guys that know how to do it.

It is actually quite the job!

Correct, it is an extra; however, the dealership has to order the car with the part or it will not come with one. Many of them do not order it.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

im gonna see if i can make it through an alaskan winter w/o one. lol. well see...
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:22 AM

Good Luck!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

3 hours... because you have to remove the block so that you can put the heater on it. I would let the dealer do it or you void all chances of having any warranty. If you have never removed a block before I would leave it to the guys that know how to do it.
What? You gotta be sh*tting me. While I don't know exactly where the heater would go, I *know* that the dealer would require more than 3 hours to remove the block, put something on it, and re-install the block.

While I seriously doubt it's that involved of a process, yes, I have pulled many motors in my time. Anything from a Chevy 454 to a Mitsu 1.8 liter.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 01:45 PM
EJM

I am not a mechanic by any means but I believe the block heater is installed by unscrewing a plug from the block and then screwing the block heater into that. I am trying to remember from my last prairie winter and that was a long time ago.

Regards
EJM
Old Nov 21, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJM
I am not a mechanic by any means but I believe the block heater is installed by unscrewing a plug from the block and then screwing the block heater into that.
From what I gathered in a quick Google search, you're probably right. I found a .pdf file of the heater install on a Subaru. No, it's not an RA, not even a Mitsu, but they're probably pretty similar processes. FWIW, I also read that the Subie install is a pain in the a**.

Quick Reply: Engine block heater