Notices

Lancer Ralliart in Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer Ralliart in Autocross?

Just wanna know if anyone uses the Lancer Ralliart in autocrossing?

There's gotta be a few people!
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

search, i know there are a few peeps that do.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

EDIT: Oh, found a thread. my bad!

I've seen a few threads.

Actually, my bad. I just wanted to see and hear the experiences of people who've autocrossed the Ralliart Lancer.

There was one post a long time ago, but that was the last one I saw.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

hey dugrant, when are you going to buy a ralliart? hah, still driving that corolla, but addicted to the ralliart threads
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They do fairely well on auto x.

the mivec really helps out.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, a bit addicted I am. Hey, I test drove it, and I think it's a great car. And the price is great too. Didn't get to go twisties, though... too bad...

I've just been reading a lot about autoX setups and what not. Anyone tried a larger front sway bar? I know in theory it can cause major understeer... but supposedly on some cars it actually helps with grip?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:27 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dugrant153
yeah, a bit addicted I am. Hey, I test drove it, and I think it's a great car. And the price is great too. Didn't get to go twisties, though... too bad...

I've just been reading a lot about autoX setups and what not. Anyone tried a larger front sway bar? I know in theory it can cause major understeer... but supposedly on some cars it actually helps with grip?
From what I've read, our car already comes with a rather large front sway bar (23mm?) We just got screwed on the rear bar.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

understeer? what's that?! haha...

there is a dude on the forum that made a video of a ralliart through the mountains. and he had video of an evo in dirt circuit...i think he actually traded his evo in for a ralliart to do autox, if i'm not mistaken.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by importmonkey
understeer? what's that?! haha...

there is a dude on the forum that made a video of a ralliart through the mountains. and he had video of an evo in dirt circuit...i think he actually traded his evo in for a ralliart to do autox, if i'm not mistaken.
That's TheJANG. He's on crack, dunno any other reason someone would dump an Evo for a RA. Here's his site - http://www.nepthys.com/artofrally/
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

nice otter...couldn't remember who it was. spanx!
Old Mar 11, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, I got theJang's video right here on my desktop.

Well, it's sorta like why you'd get a slower car vs a turbocharged evil machine .
If you're only going to be going up to speeds of like 80 km/h (about 55 mph? or something), then it's more fun to have a "slower car" then to have a fast car that just blows past that in 2 seconds...

That, and the associated insurance rates, monthly payments, maintenance, etc... financially, it can be a burden too.

Autocross purposes, eh?
what's the size of the rear sway?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

stock rear is 13 mm, i updated to the progress sway and I think its 22mm the front is 26mm (pretty sure) I will take my caliper tool and measure the front as I want to add the sway bar bushing also. I've already got the endlink bushings...just waiting to install.

As for autox...I did some last summer. setup was stock for 2 events and rear swaybar for 1 event. I have to say if you are even going to attemp to autox, you have to get the rear sway.....I was in understeer city and the screaming goodyear rsa's were poor. The only time I managed to get oversteer in stock form was through a slalom. I was going about 80kmph and I was not as smooth as I was supposed to. Nice thing about the RA is that its VERY predictible in all situations. After adding the swaybar autocrossing was much more fun. Add some sticky tires and a sway bar and your all set. The RA does VERY well as the tourque helps to get out of corners. The RA is also fun for one wheel smokies while exiting corners
Old Mar 11, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I hear a need for an LSD

doesn't the rear sway bar push ya out of G or H stock? (Which class IS the Ralliart LAncer in anyways?)
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:54 PM

The biggest problem with the ralliart for autocross is weight. At 2750 lbs in autocross trim, there are a lot of much lighter cars in the class that they are in. Fo HS, The audi coupe quattro and mini cooper run away with everything in sight. In FSP, they are against a 2100 LBS honda civic and 1750 LBS Scricco's. In STS, you have to beat the honda civic. For autocross, weight is king and the ralliart is an after thought. My 4G mirage autocross puts out 125 HP to the wheels and weighs only 2200 LBS in FSP trim and I fit 225/50/14 tires under there. You can be competitive in the local arena's but nationally it may be a different story.

Mike
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to echo, that if you're running stock or close to it, you'll be in the STS category and Audi quattro's and mini coopers will most certainly not be in your division. From what I've heard, in most local SCCA events, the ralliart does fairly well. I'd definitely recommend the rear sway bar and better tires. In autocross, cornering is very important, moreso than HP. I went to an event but didn't participate with my Ralliart. I'd like to try it one day.