Notices

*shock* in my wifes 04' RA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*shock* in my wifes 04' RA

So this has been an annoyance of my wife's 04' RalliArt. Every time we get out of the car, we get shocked when we ground out on the frame of the car. Is there a notorius bad ground we should be looking for?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:43 PM

I do too. Sitting on fabric seats just builds up the static. If you hold onto the window frame or some metal, then step on the ground, it'll ground you and you wont get a shock or as big of one. Nothing wrong with the car. Probably dont notice it on wet/rainy days, right?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got in the habit of making sure my leg is in contact with the door sill as I step out, then I don't get shocked (or if I do, it's on my leg and not as bad). For whatever reason, our seats just build up more static in us that other seats do.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i noticed it to. what i do is when i put my first foot out of the car i make sure the back of my leg is leaned agianst the metal, and then i stand up and slide out....no biggie but yes that nice shock will wake you up
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeh thats so true lol... the shocks are crazy... same with my friends matrix
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I have gotten in the habit of touching the part between the rear and front doors with the back of my forearm when I get out. I rarely get shocked now.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:06 PM

same with my OZ... I just stand up and rub my upper arm against the door as I'm climbing out so it shocks me there and I hardly notice it. It drives my GF insane lol.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yhea, all the lancer models do it, from the 02 es all the way to the Evo, and I'm sure it won't be stopping anytime soon.

Just make sure you hold onto some metal portion of the car until both feet are out and you're standing. I touch the inside frame near the B pillar when I swing my legs out. All you need is one finger to ground you out.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B|ing
same with my OZ... I just stand up and rub my upper arm against the door as I'm climbing out so it shocks me there and I hardly notice it. It drives my GF insane lol.
I do the exact same thing.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

I brought up this topic fall of last year. There's been a couple of threads since. You might wanna search for them because there was some good info in there.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

I noticed it to. and I swear to god one day its going to flip me out and Im gonig to hit my car with a bat... errrrrr..

I know Im going to be that "CRAZY GUY" thats yelling at his car in the parking lot one day.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

There's actually a little piece of fabric you can order to get rid of that. You're supposed to rub it before you get out of the car. I just tag the edge of the door with the forearm everytime; let it take the shock.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

The shock your getting is a shorted wire, it might be a wire thats useless or something you would never think..Look at your "lancer" sign on your guage cluster, notice how its kinda lighter then all the others... from what ive been told, thats why lancers have that shock.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

^hmm...I though it would be from the cloth seats and carpet interior. I have only noticed this a few times (03-04 are still the same interior, right?) Wonder how long it takes before someone in a lancer blows up the gas pump! J/k
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ev-slo
The shock your getting is a shorted wire, it might be a wire thats useless or something you would never think..Look at your "lancer" sign on your guage cluster, notice how its kinda lighter then all the others... from what ive been told, thats why lancers have that shock.
You're kidding, right? I hope so. It's static shock, same as scuffing your feet across carpet and grabbing a metal doorknob, except it's your @ss and the cloth seats.

I just grab the metal frame aroud the window as I get out.