Notices

So, what's the deal about MIVEC...?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have an intake, the change is more noticable, both the sound and feel. BTW MIVEC helps low RPM economy by opening the intake valves at different lifts (more swirl) and helps high RPM power by opening both valves at a lot of lift (allows the fuel/air in easier for the high RPM).
Old May 3, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, intake makes mivec much more noticable, both feel and sound.. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
if you stand on it, from 1000 rpms to 3.5k rpms its like "Pshhhhhhhhhhh", then at 3.5, it stops the whooshing sound and goes "RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

anyway, thats my technical explination.
Old May 3, 2005, 07:31 PM

mivec isint just some ploy. from the one time i drove the ralliart, i felt the switch, its less noticable i suppose becuz of the wealth of low end torque on this engine. switching into mivec isint really an acurate description of what happens. actually, the low profile should be considered the extra one. the whole purpose of adding variable valve lift is to have an agressive cam setup that has a smooth idle. so the natural cam is the agressive one, the passive one is used just to maintain economy and a smooth idle. anyone who drives a non vvl car and has upgraded cams can testify to how much they change idle and low end power.

when ur on the high cam, you get worse economy cuz you have a more agressive engine. the benefit of vvl is that u can have the agressive engine when you want it, and the good economy when you want it. just stay on the low cam...
Old May 4, 2005, 05:47 AM

Experiencing lift in my Spyder is cool :-).

Putting a GTS motor in a 2100 lb car is nice. Getting a Lotus Elise that weighs under 2000 lb. w/ a GTS motor is nicer though.
Old May 4, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Let me retract my statement a bit, i know MIVEC is there, it's profile change is 3500rpms, and it's very seemingless. I know w/ my intake I hear a air sucking noise from 2k-3400k, but when 3500k the sucking goes away and the engine roars, than @ 4k the engine roars hits it's apex and it's LOUD, is that "MIVEC"?

What I meant to say is, how can I make the cam profile as drastic (agressive) as vTEC or LIFT?
Old May 4, 2005, 09:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Let me retract my statement a bit, i know MIVEC is there, it's profile change is 3500rpms, and it's very seemingless. I know w/ my intake I hear a air sucking noise from 2k-3400k, but when 3500k the sucking goes away and the engine roars, than @ 4k the engine roars hits it's apex and it's LOUD, is that "MIVEC"?

What I meant to say is, how can I make the cam profile as drastic (agressive) as vTEC or LIFT?
The answer's up there. Get the piggyback, which leans out the A/F ratio, and makes a bigger kick.
Old May 4, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a question. Does MIVEC apply to 5th gear?

The reason I ask is because my 5th gear is like an overdrive for me. When I'm cruising on the highway, I'll drop it into 4th if I need power.

If MIVEC does come on in 5th, when I'm doing 120 KM/H, I'm running at approx 3200 rpms (if I remember correctly). That means I'm burning tons of gas cuz the profile changes when I really would like to be driving in the fuel economy profile. Does this make sense to anyone else? It worries me that I'll be paying for 91 octance gas soon (cuz of piggyback) and I might be wasting it because 120 is my cruising speed. I could go down to 100-110 where for sure I wouldn't be switching onto the Mivec profile, but thats a little slow for me.

So, anyone know if Mivec comes on in 5th? If it does... I also would really like a MIVEC controller in my car
Old May 4, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

the piggy-back doesn't burn the fuel fast. it's the way the persons drives. i have the piggy-back, and i drive normal most of the time . a full tank of gas last for two weeks, but if i drive crazy all the time it will only last for one week.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Dre 8472
Here's a question. Does MIVEC apply to 5th gear?

The reason I ask is because my 5th gear is like an overdrive for me. When I'm cruising on the highway, I'll drop it into 4th if I need power.

If MIVEC does come on in 5th, when I'm doing 120 KM/H, I'm running at approx 3200 rpms (if I remember correctly). That means I'm burning tons of gas cuz the profile changes when I really would like to be driving in the fuel economy profile. Does this make sense to anyone else? It worries me that I'll be paying for 91 octance gas soon (cuz of piggyback) and I might be wasting it because 120 is my cruising speed. I could go down to 100-110 where for sure I wouldn't be switching onto the Mivec profile, but thats a little slow for me.

So, anyone know if Mivec comes on in 5th? If it does... I also would really like a MIVEC controller in my car
MIVEC engages based on RPM, not speed, so yes, it's always working above 3600rpm. If you're cruising at 3200rpm, then you're in the pre-MIVEC zone, so you're getting better gas milage. Go above 3600 (about 75mph), and your gas milage will drop.
Old May 4, 2005, 12:15 PM

To change the cam profile you would need to do exactly that. Get different cams with different durations of lift.
Old May 4, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
MIVEC engages based on RPM, not speed, so yes, it's always working above 3600rpm. If you're cruising at 3200rpm, then you're in the pre-MIVEC zone, so you're getting better gas milage. Go above 3600 (about 75mph), and your gas milage will drop.
Awesome, I thought for some reason that the mivec zone started at 3100rpm's. 3600 rpms makes a lot more sense.
Old May 4, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Ok, i feel a lil stubborn, so I called my friend (with the o5 type-s), he said... "turn the car on and leave it in neutrel, than revv your engine with 1/4th throttle (let the revvs slowy climb), as soon as you hit 3500 rpms (MIVEC profile) listen for a distinct sound in the engine, that'll tell you"

So I got off a work, about 10mins ago... rushed home and did it... I FEEL STUPID, but I HEARD THE SWITCH, it's loud... only loud in neutrel atleast, . I tried it 5x, and heard the switch exactly at 3500rpms. I made a few vids of it so you can hear the sound, it's great!
Old May 4, 2005, 04:37 PM
EvoM Administrator

Wow, you are stubborn. Mitsubishi's tech documents and our assurance wasn't good enough for you.

Old May 4, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ , now my next thing is, make it as loud as it it in "neutrel", in 2nd, 3rd, 4th.
Old May 4, 2005, 04:44 PM
EvoM Administrator

Curious, did you listen from inside your car or did you finger the throttle from under the hood and listen? I may go out and try this, just to see how loud the switch is.

Quick Reply: So, what's the deal about MIVEC...?