Notices

Brake Shudder

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Shudder

I know this happens on all cars but I've had my RA for a year now and have about 30k on it. I'm getting very noticable shudder breaking from high speeds down to about 55 mph.

Are my rotors warped and if so, can they be turned down?

Also, does anybody make a complete brake kit yet?
Old May 5, 2005, 11:55 AM

I had this problem when I got to around 12K. I mentioned it at one of my maintenance checks and they "turned" my rotors. I don't really know what that means but it sure helped, my braking is smooth as butter. I don't think it's a warping issue though, if you are still under warranty you might as well have them check it.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:57 AM

It usually does have to do with warping of the rotors. They can become warped in numerous ways, usually from excessive temperature differentials. Turning is when they mill the surface flat again.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by shiroboi
I know this happens on all cars but I've had my RA for a year now and have about 30k on it. I'm getting very noticable shudder breaking from high speeds down to about 55 mph.

Are my rotors warped and if so, can they be turned down?

Also, does anybody make a complete brake kit yet?
only 7k on mine but at speeds of like 85 on the pa turnpike braking feels like the whole front end is shaking apart are the big brembros from the evo compatible? sorry for not searching but the thought just occurred to me as i was replying
Old May 5, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

good question....but you would need rims to clear them then.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVOL 8
good question....but you would need rims to clear them then.

im running 18's with 215/45 rubber that should be big enough, shouldn't it?
Old May 5, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

I'll give the dealer a call but do you think they'd cover it outside the normal 1 year, everything is covered period?

Edit: just called the dealer, they said they would cover it if I still had half of my brake pads left but they said with my milage its really border line. If not, they charge 220 for a brake job. I should probably have mitsu check it for me and see if it can be done for free.

I feel like 220 is expensive. I've had rotors turned for much cheaper before.

Last edited by shiroboi; May 5, 2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old May 5, 2005, 02:44 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Having rotors turned costs about $10 per rotor at your local auto parts shop.
Old May 5, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

I've got around 40K on mine, and I've got the shudder too. I have squeak too, so my pads are shot. I'm going in tomorrow to have everything inspected (I've got some squeaking/clunking/popping coming from the rear suspension as well)...I'm sure the rotors will need to be turned.
Old May 5, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsurally
im running 18's with 215/45 rubber that should be big enough, shouldn't it?
You're running 18s on the stock brakes? That's very likely why your rotors are warped.
2 general reasons for shuddering/vibrating brakes.
1. Warped rotor. Too much heat, or a really hard brake and then a STOP for awhile. The hot pads keep one part of the rotor really hot while the rest cools.
2. Pad deposit. Same reason as #1. Some pad material is burned/attached onto the rotor, the pad grabs this part of the rotor harder than the rest of it.
Turning the rotors fixes both problems, but after turning, the rotors are thinner so they will warp even easier.
I avoid warping by doing 2 things. If I brake really hard, I slow down well before the stop line/car ahead and creep slowly up to it, cool the pads on the whole rotor. Then I put it in neutral and get off the brakes.
You can have the rotors almost glowing with heat and they won't warp, IF they are cooled off evenly while driving. If you know the brakes are THAT hot, don't stop at all, keep driving for a few minutes.
Old May 5, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

/\ I agree... that's too much rotating mass... Much harder to stop...
Old May 6, 2005, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Also make sure to torque your lugnuts to spec and do it in the star pattern, if they are not evenly torqued down your rottors will warp.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

About the brembo idea, I would not do it. You will spend a whole lot of money and sure you can stop faster but you will have even more rotating mass and your car will be even more sluggish. Our stock breaks are good. They are even better then the brembo upgrade that is offered on the nissan spec-v. Just take care of them and they will take care of you. If you do want to upgrade, just get the RRM break pads and do what they said above with cooling the breaks.
Old May 6, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would get them ground. sounds like a slight warp in the front. I know the PA turnpike can be a bear. what part do you drive? around donigal to harrisburg is the worst! 75mph at 10degress + a pothole and brakes doesnt do much good, especially when the rotors are already about 200 degrees! go to pep boys or autozone and have them ground. cheap fix. as for a brake upgrade, i suggest you wait a bit longer until some options open up. i dont think you will have to wait long
Old May 6, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Had the same problem with my Lancer. Dealer turned rotors and all was good.

Quick Reply: Brake Shudder