Notices

Can I expect any HP gains from RRM Axel-back?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I expect any HP gains from RRM Axel-back?

This question is pretty straight forward. I realize that for best power gains I should get a cat-back but for now, I'm going with the RRM Axelback (and an Injen CAI). I expect to see some slight gains from the cai alone, but what about the axelback by itself?

Any specific # of HP I can expect? The RRM site doesnt even advertise it as giving any gains at all so I'm not expecting it to.

thanks
Old May 24, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be like 20HP
Old May 24, 2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
Might be like 20HP
so........ are we gonna be sarcastic or give me a real answer? Some people (like me) don't know enverything there is to know in the automotive world... which is why I come to places like this - to get answers!

Thanks though.. i really appreciate your maturity!
Old May 24, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliTrav05
This question is pretty straight forward. I realize that for best power gains I should get a cat-back but for now, I'm going with the RRM Axelback (and an Injen CAI). I expect to see some slight gains from the cai alone, but what about the axelback by itself?

Any specific # of HP I can expect? The RRM site doesnt even advertise it as giving any gains at all so I'm not expecting it to.

thanks
I installed it a couple weeks ago. It was my first mod. By itself, I noticed a very slight decrease in power. I'm hoping that once I make the engine breathe better with my Injen CAI, I'll get that power back. I attributed the drop in power to a slight loss of backpressure now that I have a bigger exhaust piping but still stock everything else. I'm no mechanic, but those were my observations.
Old May 24, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

You wont recognize a thing.
Old May 24, 2005, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

not sure about lancers but with the evo simple bolt-ons like axle back or even intake dont yeild much gain until you flash the ecu or use some type of computer management. the ecu's in these cars like to "de-tune" them selves back to factory like performance if and when possible...

edit: sorry, i didnt really answer your question. depending on the quality of your muffler, you may pick up a couple hp from better air flow. but no, you will not notice a performance increase,... unless you have a really sensitive ars. it will sound different though!

Last edited by MeKilla; May 24, 2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old May 24, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dre 8472
I installed it a couple weeks ago. It was my first mod. By itself, I noticed a very slight decrease in power. I'm hoping that once I make the engine breathe better with my Injen CAI, I'll get that power back. I attributed the drop in power to a slight loss of backpressure now that I have a bigger exhaust piping but still stock everything else. I'm no mechanic, but those were my observations.
thanks for the input. That doesnt sound like good news though to me. Will that power be re-gained (and then some) with the addition of the CAI? I would hope so...
Old May 24, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliTrav05
thanks for the input. That doesnt sound like good news though to me. Will that power be re-gained (and then some) with the addition of the CAI? I would hope so...
I would think so. They way I reasoned it out was, ok... same volume of exhaust going out but through a bigger pipe now. That means less backpressure. When you put in a cold air intake, you are now changing how much volume of air goes in, which means more air goes out, which means you don't have that loss of backpressure anymore.

I am going to be putting on my CAI this week I hope and will know more then. FYI, you won't be taking full advantage of these two mods unless you get your ECU tuned or install the RRM Piggyback (which I have in the garage also awaiting installation. If I hadn't phucked my back up, I would be driving around alot faster today!
Old May 24, 2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dre 8472
I would think so. They way I reasoned it out was, ok... same volume of exhaust going out but through a bigger pipe now. That means less backpressure. When you put in a cold air intake, you are now changing how much volume of air goes in, which means more air goes out, which means you don't have that loss of backpressure anymore.

I am going to be putting on my CAI this week I hope and will know more then. FYI, you won't be taking full advantage of these two mods unless you get your ECU tuned or install the RRM Piggyback (which I have in the garage also awaiting installation. If I hadn't phucked my back up, I would be driving around alot faster today!
thanks again... Yeah, please let me know how it goes once you get the CAI installed. Which brand are you going with? Also, do you drive a MT? I would assume so but I'm just wondering.

As far as the ECU goes... a CAI and axelback, plus some eyelids and a grill are about all i can afford at the time. I just graduated high school and its not like i have tons of money to spend. I want to get the RRM Downpipe before the summer is over as well... as the for the ECU though, it could be awhile before I get that. I'd love to but it just isnt a possiblity right now.

Thanks again man and be sure to get back to me!
Old May 24, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

you will lose torque down below and gain just a bunch of sound...
Old May 24, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

well the way i see it.. in order to complete the "cycle" you need something to let more air in.. if you're letting more air out, correct? therefore you won't see much unless you get the axel plus a new intake, right? I'm not 100% on this one, but yea it's just my .02
-Lee
Old May 24, 2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
well the way i see it.. in order to complete the "cycle" you need something to let more air in.. if you're letting more air out, correct? therefore you won't see much unless you get the axel plus a new intake, right? I'm not 100% on this one, but yea it's just my .02
-Lee
Sounds logical... That's what I'm hoping for anway.
Old May 24, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

to produce HP, you want to be as free-flowing as possible. to produce torque, you want an appropriate ammount of backpressure. but not so much that it restricts power. torque moves the car, not horse power, so you want to shoot for better torque, not power.

so, freeflowing isnt always good since we need some backpressure for our engines to run at their best. the car in stock form is engineered well.

however, if raw power mods are added that alter the air and/or fuel intake (at this time, CAI, piggy/afc, injection control/supply, any forced indution), then compensating through the exhaust should take advantage of these gains and increase them.

however again, the backpressure in our cars is produced mostly between the header and downpipe. so its more reasonable to free your pressure points there, first. until the full exhaust becomes a restriction itself, the catback and axle back wont do much but make noise. I had good luck with a full catback after I added the CAI and piggy. I lost bout 3hp, but gained about 2tq. I shot a bit large, but there is now much room to grow =)

in general, if you can make the engine produce more power before tuning the exhaust, then there will prob be soem gains in freeing up restriction in the exhaust. if you make it too free-flowing, you will not have max torque, but u will prob have a slightly higher HP reading (useless).

at the end of the day, its about balancing. if i were you, i would consider a few other mods before worrying about the exhaust. i mean, its only gonna give like 20hp anyway
Old May 24, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by blk-majik
at the end of the day, its about balancing. if i were you, i would consider a few other mods before worrying about the exhaust. i mean, its only gonna give like 20hp anyway
After hearing all this, I believe you may be right. I'm getting a CAI that part is for sure. I also want to get a downpipe in the near future sometime but that would seem odd having a downpipe with the stock exhaust. The sound may not be too pleasant either. ECU is too expensive at this moment... I may just get the CAI and save my money for later. Any other suggestions would be great... thanks
Old May 24, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

i didnt notice a thing except sound after the axel back

Quick Reply: Can I expect any HP gains from RRM Axel-back?