Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

^^^ you tried it and it works?
Old May 27, 2005, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tuffguy
It prevents MIVEC from engaging at 3500rpm like it normally does. Useful in saving a little gas if you normally go 3500+rpm on the fwy. The only negative is that the engine won't go above 5000rpm.
That's awesome!

Plug and unplug...

So the rev limits to 5k, no problem.

Sure there is no harm to the engine or something?
Old May 27, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it does not harm the engine unless over reving it.... but why on earth would you want to take it off anyway?

funny thing is no one has dare mention the way i managed to modify cam timing.... work like a charm but is a suicide for the warranty....
Old May 27, 2005, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
^^^ you tried it and it works?
Yup. I've put on ~150 miles since I turned it off last night w/o any drama. Well, except that the SES light goes on, but I'd be a lot more concerned if it didn't.
Old May 28, 2005, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PR_Mivec
it does not harm the engine unless over reving it.... but why on earth would you want to take it off anyway?

funny thing is no one has dare mention the way i managed to modify cam timing.... work like a charm but is a suicide for the warranty....
To save gas, MIVEC is a $$$$ eater.

OK how did you manage to modify your cam timing? What improvements does it brings? Sounds risky...
Old May 28, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Something weird going on here... I filled up the tank last night, then drove 80.4 miles (back and forth between Anaheim and UCLA). Filled up again when I got home this morning. Pump first shut off at 1.734 gallons, and then I topped it off at 2.134 gallons.

That means 46.4mpg or 37.7mpg... wth... last night I hit mad traffic on the 5N, and when I came back I was going 75-80mph.

Am I missing something here? You can get 40mpg just by disabling MIVEC?

Can someone else try this?
Old May 28, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MITSU-DEALER
To save gas, MIVEC is a $$$$ eater.

OK how did you manage to modify your cam timing? What improvements does it brings? Sounds risky...
look at the pics bro... easy as hell but you'll loose the warranty...... after al you are a mitsu sales rep....
Old May 28, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by tuffguy

Something weird going on here... I filled up the tank last night, then drove 80.4 miles (back and forth between Anaheim and UCLA). Filled up again when I got home this morning. Pump first shut off at 1.734 gallons, and then I topped it off at 2.134 gallons.

That means 46.4mpg or 37.7mpg... wth... last night I hit mad traffic on the 5N, and when I came back I was going 75-80mph.

Am I missing something here? You can get 40mpg just by disabling MIVEC?

Can someone else try this?
Im pretty sure if you disable MIVEC, it acts like a regular lancer. I heard they get 30+ mpg. Pretty sweet you got 40mpg... mitsu should market this to keep up with honda/toyota in the "gas saver" race.

Originally Posted by MITSU-DEALER
Yeah, PR_MIVEC I would like to know too, what does it actually do to MIVEC?
Old May 28, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Im pretty sure if you disable MIVEC, it acts like a regular lancer. I heard they get 30+ mpg. Pretty sweet you got 40mpg... mitsu should market this to keep up with honda/toyota in the "gas saver" race.

Yeah, PR_MIVEC I would like to know too, what does it actually do to MIVEC?
The cam profiles will stay at low and medium lift (one valve low, one medium) which is like it is before 3500 with mivec. Don't think it acts like a regular lancer, they are 2 valve per cylinder aren't they? Plus, our engine is 0.4L bigger, so it will still use more gas than a regular Lancer.
Old May 28, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

ok i now realize all you guys are magazine mecanics..... to ask the efects of cam adjustment is like been a catholic and not knowing the pope.....

arithmetic; in short by changing the cam timing (retard, advance/overlap), we tune the overall drivability and performance aspect of the car. even stock engines can benefit by dialing-in cam timing/overlap. these are typical variances in production tolerances that when fine-tuned to your particular engine set-up will easily produce added power. many factory cams, ours includded, operate on the conservative side of performance due to emissions and drivability standards, meaning there's always more power to be gained by learning how-to adjust the intake and exhaust valve timing
and guess what i managed to do this wo/ an aftermarket cam gear....

Last edited by PR_Mivec; May 28, 2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old May 30, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by PR_Mivec
ok i now realize all you guys are magazine mecanics..... to ask the efects of cam adjustment is like been a catholic and not knowing the pope.....

arithmetic; in short by changing the cam timing (retard, advance/overlap), we tune the overall drivability and performance aspect of the car. even stock engines can benefit by dialing-in cam timing/overlap. these are typical variances in production tolerances that when fine-tuned to your particular engine set-up will easily produce added power. many factory cams, ours includded, operate on the conservative side of performance due to emissions and drivability standards, meaning there's always more power to be gained by learning how-to adjust the intake and exhaust valve timing
and guess what i managed to do this wo/ an aftermarket cam gear....
IM IMPRESED MY SELF, very nice explanation of how it worck jon , i give you an A plus jejejejeje .
Old May 30, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

how can you dial in overlap (for the intake and exhaust valves) with one cam.. *ahem*

-joe
Old May 30, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

37mpg on my last tank of gas. woohoo!
Old May 30, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
how can you dial in overlap (for the intake and exhaust valves) with one cam.. *ahem*

-joe
I would like to know too, and also the benefits of it with MIVEC? How great is the MIVEC changer over?
Old May 30, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to know too, and also the benefits of it with MIVEC? How great is the MIVEC changer over?
you can't.. it was a stab at his "facts"

with DOHC, where one controls the intake and one controls the exhaust, you can control overlap.. but on a SOHC, the cam dictates it.. using cam gears you are just "shifting" the overlap around.. (it stays the same)

-joe

Quick Reply: Is MIVEC oil or mechanical controlled?