Notices

Review of SE-R SPEC V, COROLLA XRS, FOCUS ST & RALLIART

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still think that there are two things that Mitsu COULD have and really SHOULD have put in our car. 6spd tranny and LSD.

I know the LSD we can get aftermarket. But I'd have REALLY liked the 6spd. A few other cars in our catagory have it. So should have we.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Daddymac
I still think that there are two things that Mitsu COULD have and really SHOULD have put in our car. 6spd tranny and LSD.

I know the LSD we can get aftermarket. But I'd have REALLY liked the 6spd. A few other cars in our catagory have it. So should have we.

I must admit I would have been willing to pay 500$ extra to get those options myself... the 6th speed would boost our mileage a lot on highway travels and I regret not having a LSD each time I accelerate hard on anything but warm and smooth pavement.

I also wish Mitsubishi had gotten our paint right... and that's not something you'll read in an article written about brand new demo cars.

But hey, even considering that, I still think the RA was the right choice... which says much about the initial value of the car!

-

Last edited by WoRkZ; Jun 1, 2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Well, even if it was just 500 for the 6spd! I wouldn't care as much I didn't have the LSD....You can always get one later on.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

-

I just drool when I picture myself shifting into 6th... It's a shame that it would be so expensive to do a swap... wouldn't the EVO's 6sp tranny fit (even if the ratios might be a bit weird for our cars)?

-
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Well, EVEN if it fits (which I kinda doubt) they're geared for a much more powerfull car. The difference in final drive ratio's would almost definetly make our cars slower in acceleration but will have a higher top speed.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-

I just drool when I picture myself shifting into 6th... It's a shame that it would be so expensive to do a swap... wouldn't the EVO's 6sp tranny fit (even if the ratios might be a bit weird for our cars)?

-

Most likely if you got a custom made bellhousing.

Well, EVEN if it fits (which I kinda doubt) they're geared for a much more powerfull car. The difference in final drive ratio's would almost definetly make our cars slower in acceleration but will have a higher top speed.
Which could be easily cured, with just a few adjustments. RRM Turbo kit, exhaust... and work your way from there...
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

LOL....I love how you reffer to a turbo kit as "an adjustment"
LMAO
Old Jun 1, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

LOL....I love how you reffer to a turbo kit as "an adjustment"
LMAO
HAHA

ad·just·ment Audio pronunciation of "adjustment" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-jstmnt)
n.

1. The act of adjusting or the state of being adjusted.
2. A means of adjusting.
3. Settlement of a debt or claim.
4. A modification, fluctuation, or correction

Ie. 4 : I mildly adjusted my cars Horsepower and Torque output by adding a turbo.

or My cars output jumped when I added a turbo kit... a minor adjustment.

:-)

No more lessons for today hehe
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

-

I sure would love to slightly adjust my engine according to that recipe!

-
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

when my brother drove my car for the first time got out and said this thing needs another gear and better tires
Old Jun 1, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Question

-

That means your brother knows what a real car should feel like!

The tire problem is one that can be easily fixed... and so I did. But the extra gear part...

I wonder if it would be cost effective for an aftermaket company (like say Getrag) to offer a replacement transmission for our cars... and also what the retail price could be on such an item.

Or could company X take say 90% off the shelf OEM parts, design the rest and sell the whole package for a reasonable price? I mean, with a swap system in place, this could be the cheapest way by far to replace our tranny with a 6sp box.

What do you guys think? I'm just speculating here. I don't have sufficient knowledge of transmissions to know if this is even remotely feasable...

-
Old Jun 1, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-

The tire problem is one that can be easily fixed... and so I did. But the extra gear part...

-
Originally Posted by ikeing
-

when my brother drove my car for the first time got out and said this thing needs another gear and better tires

-
One thing in the article said was that the only thing RA's lacked was better tires.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah....which is pretty well what EVERY review has stated as the major draw back.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

-

You can say that again... yeah, MAJOR! The first time I went for a test drive, I drove straight to my favorite tight bend and immediately after asked the salesman what those tires where under that thing! You could litterally feel those Goodyears just give up under the car! No strenght in the side walls at all... it's like bubble gum in there!

Many owners in here were lucky enough to get one of the two other tires they mount on the RA and no one was close to being as critical of the quality of theirs. My conclusion, Goodyear RS-As s*ck big time!!!

Then again, I got a good exchange price from them... so one good thing they did in their short career as RA tires were to get me a nice credit on some very sweet Pirellis! My life has been a succession of blissful driving experiences since then...

-

Last edited by WoRkZ; Jun 1, 2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I have to change tires as soon as possible... .. .Goodyear RSA sux0r big time indeed. I think the car felt better on 15" winter tires.

Quick Reply: Review of SE-R SPEC V, COROLLA XRS, FOCUS ST & RALLIART