Notices

??? - subwoofer encasement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??? - subwoofer encasement

I'm getting an aftermarket subwoofer and amp put into my car, will any 8" subs fit in that encasement? has anybody tried? If not is there a way to mount a sub similarly so that its not taking up too much of the trunk?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

You can make it so they take up NO room in your trunk if you want.. Hint: false floor or custom fiberglass spare tire well box. You make a "tub" out of fiberglass that fits perfectly in the spare tire well, then have the subs use that as their "box". Have a coverplate made up that fits flush where the original floor of your trunk was and just cover it up if you need to haul something. Or you could make a little fiberglass mold in the corner of the trunk and carpet it so it blends in and takes up very little space. That sounds exactly like what you need. Plus, they barely weigh anything.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvosLilBro
I'm getting an aftermarket subwoofer and amp put into my car, will any 8" subs fit in that encasement? has anybody tried? If not is there a way to mount a sub similarly so that its not taking up too much of the trunk?
I tried, NO WAY!

The depth is too shallow, and there's a hole where the stock magnet goes in, and no way is any aftermarket sub going to fit into it. I just pulled the box and went with a standard one. BTW, if you do pull the factory box, the carpet is cut in such a way that part of the trunk will be exposed!
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reTro
I tried, NO WAY!

The depth is too shallow, and there's a hole where the stock magnet goes in, and no way is any aftermarket sub going to fit into it. I just pulled the box and went with a standard one. BTW, if you do pull the factory box, the carpet is cut in such a way that part of the trunk will be exposed!
i know about the carpet cause i can see it now. SOmeone on the auction lot where my car was stored for a night jacked my sub and amp, so the dealership that shopped the car for me is having this awesome tricked out audio store hook me up with some kick *** shizz with no installation fee for less than what the mitsu parts would run them and installation.

I'll see what they can do
Old Aug 30, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by wiretap
You can make it so they take up NO room in your trunk if you want.. Hint: false floor or custom fiberglass spare tire well box. You make a "tub" out of fiberglass that fits perfectly in the spare tire well, then have the subs use that as their "box". Have a coverplate made up that fits flush where the original floor of your trunk was and just cover it up if you need to haul something. Or you could make a little fiberglass mold in the corner of the trunk and carpet it so it blends in and takes up very little space. That sounds exactly like what you need. Plus, they barely weigh anything.

That's EXACTLY what I wanted to do in mine! Hit me up with a PM or an e-mail if you have some tips for me... I want to do this in late september, early october. I've never done anything out of fiberglass, but hey, I can't learn if I don't try. What's the worst that can happen? It could be an ugly thing and I just throw it away and start again...

BTW: can anyone tell me how much all this stuff can run me (the fiberglass and the resin and all that stuff)? It's not a big project... but I might have to try more than once though.

-