Notices

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Problems

Just wanting to check if anyone out there was having shifting problems with thier Ralliart. On my 05 lancer the syncro-ring on 3rd gear went, leaving me with nothing in 3rd. It was still drivable, but at 15K on the nose it seemed very weird. Called up the dealership, they said they'd look at it on Monday. They started out being quite helpful. Then the s**t started.

after getting my car back after a week, the invoice stated that the car had only been at the shop for 2Km. This included the dealership test running that tranny to make shure there wasn't any problems. within a week I noticed a grinding going into 1st and 2nd gear. Took it back to the dealership, waited anouther week. Was told that it was ok and could pick it up on the saturday. When I picked it up I was hesitant, so I ask one of the techs to go for a ride to make sure it was ok. Not even a block and it showed the symptoms. The tech even tried driving it to make sure it wasn't me(I only have 18years exp. driving standard) still had problems. So I left it for them to check it out again. Was called the following Monday morning and was told it was fine. through out this proccess the tranny fluid had been changed 4 times. once at 5,000K(just to make sure there wern't any transmission problems down the road), once at 15k when the tranny broke, and twice at 20K with the second time with the "special" Mitsubishi tranny fluid. and guess what, It still grinds in 1st and 2nd, expecially when it's cold(if you call 20C cold)I've had to wait for 3 months for the Mits. rep to be available to look at this problem, since the dealership says we can agree to disagree on the condition of the shifting. Hopfully I might get somewhere since my "Stealership" doesn't want to solve an issue in a friendly manner.

By the way, my dealership was Wolfe Mitsubishi in Langley,BC, Canada
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine shifts fine at 67,000 miles. The only time I ever had problems was because my shifter cable bushings started to seize on the shift levers on the transmission.

Hopefully, the rep can get something done. Does Canada have a law similar to the US' "Lemon Law"?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem with the suynchro ring snapping on 1st gear and the reing on reverse broke too. my car only had 2500 miles on it, so yeah they need to make them stronger..
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliartUpNorth
Just wanting to check if anyone out there was having shifting problems with thier Ralliart. On my 05 lancer the syncro-ring on 3rd gear went, leaving me with nothing in 3rd. It was still drivable, but at 15K on the nose it seemed very weird. Called up the dealership, they said they'd look at it on Monday. They started out being quite helpful. Then the s**t started.

after getting my car back after a week, the invoice stated that the car had only been at the shop for 2Km. This included the dealership test running that tranny to make shure there wasn't any problems. within a week I noticed a grinding going into 1st and 2nd gear. Took it back to the dealership, waited anouther week. Was told that it was ok and could pick it up on the saturday. When I picked it up I was hesitant, so I ask one of the techs to go for a ride to make sure it was ok. Not even a block and it showed the symptoms. The tech even tried driving it to make sure it wasn't me(I only have 18years exp. driving standard) still had problems. So I left it for them to check it out again. Was called the following Monday morning and was told it was fine. through out this proccess the tranny fluid had been changed 4 times. once at 5,000K(just to make sure there wern't any transmission problems down the road), once at 15k when the tranny broke, and twice at 20K with the second time with the "special" Mitsubishi tranny fluid. and guess what, It still grinds in 1st and 2nd, expecially when it's cold(if you call 20C cold)I've had to wait for 3 months for the Mits. rep to be available to look at this problem, since the dealership says we can agree to disagree on the condition of the shifting. Hopfully I might get somewhere since my "Stealership" doesn't want to solve an issue in a friendly manner.

By the way, my dealership was Wolfe Mitsubishi in Langley,BC, Canada
Welcome to the club, with the problme in the car , My dealer has bent VERY helpfull, here is my link https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=206208
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:54 PM

Here are the two TSB's I found related to the Ralliart:

The first:

M/T - Rattling Noise Idling in Neutral

No.: TSB-05-22-001

DATE: July, 2005

MODELS: See Below

SUBJECT:
M/T RATTLING NOISE AT IDLE

PURPOSE

Some vehicles may experience a rattling noise coming from the manual transaxle ("neutral gear rattle") when the engine is idling. The noise may result from a damaged input shaft bearing, reverse idler gear, or clutch disc (due to clutch hub to input shaft spline wear). The noise is typically most noticeable when the A/C compressor engages. Follow the steps in this bulletin to determine the cause of the rattle and replace the affected transaxle component(s).

NOTE: Transmission removal is NOT necessary to remove the reverse idler gear.

Performing the repairs in this bulletin will improve the severity of the "neutral gear rattle", but may not fully eliminate the noise. A small level of noise is acceptable and will not affect transaxle durability.

AFFECTED VEHICLES:
2002-05 Lancer and Lancer Evolution equipped with 5-speed manual transmission

The Second:

M/T - Revised Synchronizer Installation Procedures
No.: TSB-04-22-002
DATE: April, 2004
MODEL: See Below

SUBJECT:
REVISED SYNCHRONIZER IDENTIFICATION &
SERVICE PROCEDURES

PURPOSE

This bulletin contains revised service information related to manual transmission synchronizers.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

The design of the manual transmission synchronizers for 1st - 2nd, 3rd - 4th, and 5th - reverse has been changed. Revised component identification and installation procedures related to these new synchronizers are included.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

This bulletin affects vehicles listed below equipped with the 5-speed manual transaxle built before February 1, 2004 (prior to transaxle serial number SG9735).

1997-2002 Mirage
2000-04 Eclipse 2.4L 4-cylinder
2001-04 Eclipse Spyder 2.4L 4-cylinder
2002-04 Lancer (except Evolution)
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:59 PM

the second tsb sounds closer to my problem, but since my Ralliart is an 05, it wouldn't apply to me. Thanks for the help, but if anyone else has had a similar problem or insite, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

all lancers have that rattle