Notices

Found the Problem

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found the Problem

Okay, so my Service Engine soon light has been on for like 6k miles. I clear it and it comes back. Even asked the dealer about this, they never gave me a good answer. I just looked on the car recall site and check out this Technical Service Bullitin. Thats the same code I am throwing. I always thought it was my CAI. And i've been getting **** for gas milage too. like 21-22 mpg at the most.

check here for more http://199.79.180.163/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
there is a large list.

Make : MITSUBISHI Model : LANCER Year : 2004
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Num : 0613009 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2006
NHTSA Item Number: 10019927
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
Summary:
THE MIL MAY COME ON AND DTC P0171 SYSTEM TOO LEAN MAY SET IN THE PCM. *TT
Check to Request Research. Submit below.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

thanks Ninja! Gonna check it out at my local dealership...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:57 PM

Ya know, running lean wont make you get bad gas mileage....
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Maaan, could this explain my marvelous 17-18mpg in the city?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:24 PM

There is a similar message when I looked up my 06 RA. There were also 7 other entries, mostly about software doing stuff incorrectly. What does all this mean? Should I be happy that the light hasn't come on or should I take it to the dealership and ask them to fix those problems?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rythmickason
There is a similar message when I looked up my 06 RA. There were also 7 other entries, mostly about software doing stuff incorrectly. What does all this mean? Should I be happy that the light hasn't come on or should I take it to the dealership and ask them to fix those problems?
I think you answered the question yourself my friend
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service engine light?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Once I put my stock intake back on for the winter I'm going to take it back in. We'll see what they can do about it. When I got my free oil change, the dealership said it was my intake causing the light to be on. Don't they get those technical service bullitins? Or do they play the blame game until you ask about it?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CF-Ninja
Once I put my stock intake back on for the winter I'm going to take it back in. We'll see what they can do about it. When I got my free oil change, the dealership said it was my intake causing the light to be on. Don't they get those technical service bullitins? Or do they play the blame game until you ask about it?
Most **** shop dealers don't volunteer problems for themselves... they may make money off the repair but i think they're just lazy a f0ck cause when i brought my car in for a bent control arm, they didn't agree that it was bent until the THIRD time i brought it in... And the mechanic was like "yea... that does look a little bent i guess" cause he was sick of seeing my car. After that i had to wait a good 4 weeks until they got the part in, they never called me when they got it in so i waited 5 weeks for them to call as they said they would. Finally got it fixed and they got their greasy hands all over my interior and paint... Stealerships...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:50 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CF-Ninja
Depends on the dealership. If you take it to Moran, it doesn't surprise me that they just blame you instead of looking at the problem.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Depends on the dealership. If you take it to Moran, it doesn't surprise me that they just blame you instead of looking at the problem.
My car came from Moran, but i purchased it through Southgate Mitsubishi. RAWR! They just moved their shop too. This should be interesting
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunchbocks
Ya know, running lean wont make you get bad gas mileage....
You're right, but if the ECU *thinks* you're running lean, it'll try to correct that by dumping in fuel until it's happy. In which case, you're running pig-rich, and getting crappy mileage.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:51 PM

On a side note,
I ran the CAI for 2 years before turbo. I worked the Lean issue through 6 different dealers.
Also talked to road race about it. Everyone told me that it shouldnt be happening.
Heres what I came up with (IN MY SITUATION)
I removed all the inserts on the bumper 6 months after I got it and replaced it with mesh. The top two holes, foglight plastic bezels and center piece.
The RRM CAI sat directly behind the left foglight which with the plastic removed had air being forced into the filter as fast as the car was going.
This is what caused the lean code and why my car was measuring 3% more air intake.
My research also yeilded that 3% more air intake only at high speeds( when the air is being packed in ) will not rip up the engine though still not healthly.
However, Constantly running with the Check Engine Light will have wear on the engine because it drops back to a default mode to protect the engine and should not be driven the same as a car without a light for a massive period of time. Im not saying it will blow up. This will only result in internal engine wear and the normal wear from running lean.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:47 AM

Hello, I just joined the forum due to my recent purchase of my beautiful 04 Lancer Ralliart! I have had the car for almost a month now and this past weekend I installed a CAI. Before I did any changes to the car I was getting roughly 20-22 MPG. I too am now getting the CEL for code P0171 (Running too lean). I have noticed a dramatic decrease in MPG.

I am wondering what are all the steps to correct my issues. I was only wanting a CAI so I could increase my fuel economy. I guess my exact questions I need help with are as follows...

- Does my MAF sensor need to be changed or have an adapter put on it?
- Does it affect the MPG whether I have the filter near the fog light versus directly under the hood?
- Is there a proper way to reset the ECU instead of just the regular disconnect/drain/reconnect?
- What are other methods I can look towards to help maximize my MPG while keeping the power and performance as clos to stock as possible?
- What is anyone's thought on adding a Hydrogen fuel cell under the hood?

Thank you evolution community, I hope I can get some help on here and start being an active member to this site!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:18 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

The short ram/cai basically help out by minimizing the airflow restriction. Either way you won't be able to see a noticeable difference between one or the other. If gas mileage is what you're after, you can search for a reflash, which should give you both more power and better fuel mileage by leaning the air/fuel ratio (our cars run quite rich from the factory as a safety method for anti-knock). Otherwise the most extreme measure i have seen thus far is by some people from PR that fitted the final drive gear from a mitsubishi mirage LS which i believe is a 3.8:1 ratio as opposed to our 4.1:1.

Quick Reply: Found the Problem