Notices

Soon-to-be RA owner: hello everyone!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon-to-be RA owner: hello everyone!

Hi everybody,

I'm a soon-to-be RA owner from Montreal, Canada and I am totally new to this forum!

I'm getting a brand new Graphite Gray 2006 RA. Got finance approval friday and if all goes well, I'll be signing on monday and having the car by the end of the week.

I started seriously shopping for a car in november. I was considering:

2006 Mini Cooper S
My top pick, but over 400$CDN a month for 6 years was way too much, and that was with 12K down

2007 VW GTI
My other top pick... really, really nice car. I could've found a way to fit it in my budget but... Altough canadian-market Rabbits are built in Germany, the reliability is still uncertain, and the insurance cost is really high.

2007 VW Rabbit
Nice car for the price, however again, reliability...

2006 Acura RSX Premium
Nive looking, very nice interior and seats, outstanding reliability, kinda nice to drive. Only 2 doors, and overpriced.

2007 Mazda 3 GT (it's the 3 S in the US)
Nice overall package but everybody's got one around here! You see these cars every corners, litterally. Plus lots of Ford under the hood and after having 2 Fords I didn't want another one!

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
4wd and affordable. Looks ok, drives ok... not very exciting but not boring either.

2007 Honda Civic Si
I couldn't even test drive it, no dealership has got one on demo (can you believe this). I would never buy a 28 grand car (CDN) without driving it first!!

As you can see, at first I wasn't even considering Mitsubishi at all.

Then in December, one day I was driving home after work and saw a Mitsu dealership and decided to stop by. Test drove the RA and I was like: wow, for the (advertised) price and considering the warranty this looks like a good deal!

I knew the 2008 Lancers were coming in march and the dealer knew that I knew it. With the big Mitsu Canada rebate plus big dealer rebate I was able to get a really, really good price on the RA.

With a nice set of 17" wheels & tires and tinted windows, this will be one nice little sleeper. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

nice.. welcome to the community
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:23 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good luck with everything ...look about the forum and the threads, theres alot to see and learn ...welcome
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Have fun with it man!! good luck.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

have fun!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Very interesting review on the cars in the price range. I am sure even the next Ralliart will cost more and there will be no Ralliart for the 08 model as far as I know.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:59 PM

welcome to the site, enjoy your RA!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, browse around and you will learn a lot. Some real knowledgeable people here.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:51 AM

I got my RA yesterday

Drove it from the dealership to my garage (60 km). I drove it nice and slow so it wasn't much fun, but hey, it's brand new! I'm gonna wait til the odometer shows at least 1500 before opening it up a little.

As Montreal winters are bad for cars (salt, sand, and more salt) so it's gonna be stored until april.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alibaba128
I got my RA yesterday

Drove it from the dealership to my garage (60 km). I drove it nice and slow so it wasn't much fun, but hey, it's brand new! I'm gonna wait til the odometer shows at least 1500 before opening it up a little.

As Montreal winters are bad for cars (salt, sand, and more salt) so it's gonna be stored until april.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
You don't necessarily have to drive it nice and slow... just keep the rpm's fluctuating, not driving too long in one range. Try to keep her below 3500rpms. Mild accelerations are OK. Main concern for motor break-in is just not driving it hard to redline.

The other break-in philosophy is to drive it like a bat-out-of-hell the first 500miles! I don't tend to agree with that one, but some swear by it.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by alibaba128
Hi everybody,

I'm a soon-to-be RA owner from Montreal, Canada and I am totally new to this forum!

I'm getting a brand new Graphite Gray 2006 RA. Got finance approval friday and if all goes well, I'll be signing on monday and having the car by the end of the week.

I started seriously shopping for a car in november. I was considering:

2006 Mini Cooper S
My top pick, but over 400$CDN a month for 6 years was way too much, and that was with 12K down

2007 VW GTI
My other top pick... really, really nice car. I could've found a way to fit it in my budget but... Altough canadian-market Rabbits are built in Germany, the reliability is still uncertain, and the insurance cost is really high.

2007 VW Rabbit
Nice car for the price, however again, reliability...

2006 Acura RSX Premium
Nive looking, very nice interior and seats, outstanding reliability, kinda nice to drive. Only 2 doors, and overpriced.

2007 Mazda 3 GT (it's the 3 S in the US)
Nice overall package but everybody's got one around here! You see these cars every corners, litterally. Plus lots of Ford under the hood and after having 2 Fords I didn't want another one!

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
4wd and affordable. Looks ok, drives ok... not very exciting but not boring either.

2007 Honda Civic Si
I couldn't even test drive it, no dealership has got one on demo (can you believe this). I would never buy a 28 grand car (CDN) without driving it first!!

As you can see, at first I wasn't even considering Mitsubishi at all.

Then in December, one day I was driving home after work and saw a Mitsu dealership and decided to stop by. Test drove the RA and I was like: wow, for the (advertised) price and considering the warranty this looks like a good deal!

I knew the 2008 Lancers were coming in march and the dealer knew that I knew it. With the big Mitsu Canada rebate plus big dealer rebate I was able to get a really, really good price on the RA.

With a nice set of 17" wheels & tires and tinted windows, this will be one nice little sleeper. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Wow... your story is almost like mine. I had a couple of those cars in mind too. Then I stopped at Mits to test drive the Eclipse. It was already on a test drive so I tried out the Raliart while I was waiting. It didn't take me long to be a new Ralliart owner!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the forums.

There is a whole lot of information on this forum from turboing your RA to installing parts, peoples stories, questions and different styling and opinions.. its all here.

Hope all goes well!

Mitsubishi for the win!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats. Welcome to the CLUB!

ROAD/RACE
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

^don't forget to stop by www.roadracemotorsports.com for all your modding needs
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

wooot torque steer!!!

Quick Reply: Soon-to-be RA owner: hello everyone!