Notices

Advice/Clarifications

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice/Clarifications

hey,
been on the boards reading and learned alot but just need some clarifications.

My plan: to eventually go turbo, but for the moment looking for a bit more than stock.

im looking at:
UD Pulley
SRI
exhaust

the pulley and sri im looking possible at RRM, coz i cant find anwhere else (looked at RPW and other local)
exhasut will most likely be custom local.

anways things i need to know:

if i do them, do u need a tune/flash/piggyback/whatever,
coz im pretty sure i wont(tho it would help) but i remember a couple posts that a new intake made idle and other things choppy and caused problems with out that - just need to clarify that reset ECU ill do(ie battery off, 15 min break in)

also with exhaust size just to confirm, catback 2.25inch wont loose too much torque yet be large enough for turbo later on

TIA
-Steve
Old Feb 7, 2007, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

RRM is the only company with a pulley that i know of. injen and AEM also make the intake, a quick search could give you alot of threads on that topic.

After you put in the intake/pulley you should simply reset the ECU. leave the battery unplugged for 15-20min. hook it up and then let the car idle for anouther 15. take it out for a little cruise without punching it out for like 15 min. turn off then on and see what your $$ got you.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

You can optimize the full potential of the modifications listed with a tuned piggyback. Do some research and you'll find some decent reviews. Both RPW and RRM have PBs for sale.

After installing the SRI, just follow ralliart329 instructions.

If you're eventually going turbo, get 2.5". If you're staying N/A for quite a long time, stick to 2.25" as this would be the best for you as you won't lose too much low end and it'll be decent for the time being
Old Feb 7, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ralliart329
RRM is the only company with a pulley that i know of. injen and AEM also make the intake, a quick search could give you alot of threads on that topic.

After you put in the intake/pulley you should simply reset the ECU. leave the battery unplugged for 15-20min. hook it up and then let the car idle for anouther 15. take it out for a little cruise without punching it out for like 15 min. turn off then on and see what your $$ got you.
thanks yeah i did search and been reading alot, but just wanted to make sure, im prob gonna go RRM since the should be a ble to do some sorta of bundle price on shipping or something coz i have to get it to australia...

thanks also mitvrx
Old Feb 7, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Are you in Sydney Stevo or WA?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Victoria ...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:48 PM

Is it really necessary to do this? When I installed my AEM SRI, I didn't unplug the battery.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:08 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by enrai
Is it really necessary to do this? When I installed my AEM SRI, I didn't unplug the battery.
It's a crapshoot. Some people get CELs from the intakes without a reset, others don't. Good idea to just reset it.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:26 PM

Mine was okay (no CEL). I even accelerated hard a couple of times to get the whisp sound when I drove after the install. No problem, so I guess I don't need to reset it, right?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Just reset it and save yourself posting more posts

New mod = reset (in most cases)
Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

^^+1.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

thats a little too much!! hahaha

I put my CAI and turn on the car as it was, it the idle was very bad (just i didnt reset the ECU before cause i was curious hehe) then I disconect the battery for a few minutes, turn it on, and beat the heck out of it

No 15 min in idle, no 15 minutes of peaceful ride, none of that crap , hehe, that wont do any difference
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by egk-69
disconect the battery for a few minutes, turn it on, and beat the heck out of it
I agree with that. I haul ***** to make my ecu learn an aggressive map and there ya go! Enjoy the world of tuning!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

You do not have to reset the ECU for the intake. OUR ecu will get use to it within time. Jus install the intake right and make sure all parts of the intake are intact. Let it idle for 5 min and cruise around for 10 min. Then punch ittt, and ull c and hear the new intake
Old Feb 9, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Poor fella, he has recieved like 6 different responses with each having the ecu reset at 5, 10, 15 minute intervals