Notices

Official "CAI vs SRI" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how is the CAI for the 05 RA automatic routed? cause at first look, it seems like it wont fit because of the battery and tranny being in the way.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:44 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok 420 , welcome , I'm glad to see another ralliart here but I'm not happy to see you posting multiple identical questions in several threads. It won't get answered any faster infancy it might make people more inclined to ignore you all together. Out of all your questions they could be answered by searching here and/or google. You'll get more from people of you post up some info about yourself, maybe start a thread with a few pictures and a description of your car and or plans, etc. post up in the 04-06 Ralliarts of 2013 thread for a start.

As for the CAI for the auto , the piping changes from 2.75" to around 1.5" at the end so it can go through the tight area. Google it for a picture.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by eisbrecher420
how is the CAI for the 05 RA automatic routed? cause at first look, it seems like it wont fit because of the battery and tranny being in the way.
Injens version fits like a glove does a little swerve around the battery drops down then pulls a u turn back up so the cones not to low to the ground it's raised about half a foot from the bumper so maybe a full foot of the ground give or take hence the reason for no hydro lock for me. Injen did there research. It wails once u hit 3500 rpm and peaks real nice. It's tricky to install yourself since auto I have the 05 and didn't do it n I'm thankful, my turner shop has years of exp. wit evo's and they said this 1 in auto was a bit of a headache and they have every tool to play with. If u have good exp. with cars I guess u can give it a shot if not do not attempt unless u have a buddy with exp. overall love it just waiting on some other mods to do a ecu tune for the dame cel light. Going all motor, I just want some xtra power cause she's already fun to drive and this is my main and everyday driver don't wanna go xtreme and turbo it. Was planning a supercharger at 1 point though but no $$$ just a average joe here. Any1 know where I can find the throttle body spacer any sites u guys know? sorry just a quick answer would do.thx
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:34 PM

Sorry for xtra post focus points in engine bay

Goes right over headers almost end of the battery,bottom left corner of battery,drops straight down ( very low bumper hight almost) tightly against a oil thingy u pull out up against south side of it, pulls a u turn back up and sits under the bottom right corner of battery and near the coolant reservoir, on mobile n not sure how to do pics u can barely see the cone, sits right under bottom right of the battery. 1 bracket in the middle of the block and 1 right under the cone
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:09 PM

I was thinking about putting a CAI on my 06 ralliart, but then i figured whats the point? The bent for the air is already located inside the grill almost. Correct me if im wrong, but from the way i see it you wont get any power gains out of an aftermatket intake.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:45 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

The stock intake does have a "ram air " feature but the intake itself is not the most free flowing. You'll see there is a plastic blob basically that just helps to quiet down the intake and holds hot air. The 90 degree bend before the tb has those ribs that slow and muffle the airflow. So saying that there's no gains from upgrading the intake system simply isn't true. My injen cai was my one of my first mods back in 2005 and I still have it and love it
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
" The primary function of the intake manifold is to evenly distribute the combustion mixture (or just air in a direct injection engine) to each intake port in the cylinder head(s). Even distribution is important to optimize the efficiency and performance of the engine. It may also serve as a mount for the carburetor, throttle body, fuel injectors and other components of the engine... The carburetor or the fuel injectors spray fuel droplets into the air in the manifold. Due to electrostatic forces some of the fuel will form into pools along the walls of the manifold, or may converge into larger droplets in the air. Both actions are undesirable because they create inconsistencies in the air-fuel ratio. Turbulence in the intake causes forces of uneven proportions in varying vectors to be applied to the fuel, aiding in atomization. Better atomization allows for a more complete burn of all the fuel and helps reduce engine knock by enlarging the flame front. To achieve this turbulence it is a common practice to leave the surfaces of the intake and intake ports in the cylinder head rough and unpolished.

Only a certain degree of turbulence is useful in the intake. Once the fuel is sufficiently atomized additional turbulence causes unneeded pressure drops and a drop in engine performance...

Cold Air Intake - Design features

A cold air intake is an aftermarket assembly of parts used to bring relatively cool air into a car's internal-combustion engine.

Most vehicles manufactured since the mid-1970s have thermostatic air intake systems that regulate the temperature of the air entering the engine's intake tract, providing warm air when the engine is cold and cold air when the engine is warm to maximize performance, efficiency, and fuel economy. Aftermarket cold air intake systems are marketed with claims of increased engine efficiency and performance. The putative principle behind a cold air intake is that cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air.

Some strategies used in designing aftermarket cold air intakes are:

Reworking parts of the intake that create turbulence to reduce air resistance. [1]

Providing a more direct route to the air intake by eliminating muffling devices. Shortening the length of the intake. Placing the intake duct so as to use the ram-air effect to give positive pressure at speed. [2]" - wikipedia
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:29 PM

Ahhh I see your point. Thank you for the information. I have plans for setting up a N/A setup for the car eventually, but nothing too hard core. Im new to the mitsu world as well as the "car" scene. What intake would you recommend? I live in toronto so i was thinking of a by-pass valve. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:33 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

What the hell is that truth ? Lol , lets hold off on the Wikipedia century writing quotes , let him search.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

hehe...hoho...haha!

But, I have no recommendations for I'm using some cheap no-name rendition. Somebody else will have to chime in for that.

Last edited by truthdweller; Mar 25, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

I'm just going to add this post in here. My experience is all Butt dyno. I have had both SRI and CAI on my 06 now, and currently love the CAI way more! Maybe it's just the current mods I have to the car, but the CAI just responds a lot better.

With the SRI being one of my first mods it was great from the stock airbox, throttle responded better and gained some power. But as I added more mods it seemed that I lost a lot of throttle response and low end power. Eventually I added the CAI and I gained my low end power back and gained some high end too.

It seems that depending on what you do, the SRI is great at first but once to start adding a lot, the CAI does a lot better! Or it could be that AEM just released a new version of their dry flow filter.
Old May 21, 2014, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey guys. So I just had a random thought cross my mind.

In my Auto RA Ive been using the stock flex pipe on the intake with an air filter replacing the air box.

And in the Green RA that I will be rebuilding soon It has a hard pipe Injen short ram intake.

My thought is. Would there be any benefit to installing the Injen pipe on the Auto other than a "bling factor" sort of thing? I mean I really dont like the bend on the Injen. I feel like its too close to the engine and thus a major heat source. I know being a SRI its going to be sucking a lot of hot air anyway. But with the ghetto DIY heat shield I made for my DIY intake there is a noticeable temperature difference between the engine side and the intake side especially after driving with the funnel blowing exterior air onto the filter. But the Injen doesnt have the crumpled sections like the flex pipe does. Meaning it should have better flow not having to work against those gaps and air pockets.

Anyway, was just a thought. Figured Id see what you all thought about it.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, let's see your "ghetto heat shield"! Remember the Home Depot ghet-up I had? Some kid bought that off me. Hey, the numbers/temps were cooler at the filter with mine a well with outside air so, there you go.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
LOL its there in the picture. Just under the air filter. Bent, riveted, and bolted down sheet metal, with pipe insulation around the edges to keep it from rubbing anything.
Old May 21, 2014, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Ooops, I didn't scroll up 1 photo! How ironic for I just cut up an aluminum catering plate, with some fancy design etched into it, to protect my air filter which was being dented up by resting on the motor mount bracket to the right of your air filter. I used two, ever popular, 14 millimeter bolts to secure it to that same said bracket

Last edited by truthdweller; May 21, 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Official "CAI vs SRI" Thread