Notices

Car Audio Question.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Audio Question.

Okay I know I post a lot of threads but it makes the forum go round :P.
When I got my RA it came with the "sun and sound package" So I've got the infinity sub etc.
My main question is Im thinking of changing the deck it came with to a flip out DVD deck. Only thing is I have a 6 CD - Changer. I dont want to lose the 6 CD changer if I put in a DVD player. Any Car audio buffs on this forum who can tell me if I put in a flip out DVD deck, can I keep the 6 CD Changer and still use the CD Changer?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should move this thread to the audio section, youll get more help.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

you won't loose it if you are any good at wiring and why bother with the changer when you can easily fit six cds on a dvd or use a memory stick thats what i do with my flip out dvd player keeps the dvd slot free and mooving music around takes 2 seconds plus it makes up a nice browser display so you can choose what you want
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

ps get rid of that sun and sound sub and put something with ***** in it before you tote around a dvd player
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

right, always start the thread in the proper forum place

good question though. I don't frequent the audio forum too much but I think this might be a new one

here's a question for you to help better understand your needs. why do you feel the need to keep an antiquated technology when the DVD deck will in all likelihood include MP3 decoding capabillities? While your current cd collection is still usable, it makes more sense to digitize everything in order to increase the usable life of your media. CD's scratch, in other words. Just an idea to keep in mind.

Call crutchfield.com, if there is an adapter for the cd changer they sell it.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jessie55
you won't loose it if you are any good at wiring and why bother with the changer when you can easily fit six cds on a dvd or use a memory stick thats what i do with my flip out dvd player keeps the dvd slot free and mooving music around takes 2 seconds plus it makes up a nice browser display so you can choose what you want

What kind of dvd player do you have?
I want to keep the 6 disc cd changer as Id rather have 6 discs sitting in that thing then in my car's glove compartment or console. Because even if you can fit 6 discs on 1 dvd or a lot on 1 dvd, It doesn't mean im not going to have less cd's. I've got a lot of music....
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gingivitis
I want to keep the 6 disc cd changer as Id rather have 6 discs sitting in that thing then in my car's glove compartment or console. Because even if you can fit 6 discs on 1 dvd or a lot on 1 dvd, It doesn't mean im not going to have less cd's. I've got a lot of music....

what?! if you have 50 CD's and can fit 25 CD's on 1 DVD, then you would only be carrying 2 DVD's in your car.. So yes, in fact, you will have less CD's in the glove compartment.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:27 AM

It's a hasstle to keep the six disc... We tried it when I did my buddies car. With the sun and sound package you still have the amp wiring to deal with if you want to keep that together. I would just take the changer out and like everyone has suggested make music DVD's with all your music on it
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gingivitis
this is FYI only, since you are obviously not privy to todays technology

the average high quality MP3 file is less than 10Mb, and even if you use the antiquated CD-R you can still fit over 60 songs on it. that is at least four entire CD's with 15 songs each. take it to the next level, you are going with a dvd player. IIRC the smallest DVD-R is 4.7 Gb, which is over 4800Mb, or 32 complete CD's with 15 songs each. do you have 32 cd's that you like EVERY song from? I doubt it

in any case, it will be complicated to do this, if it's possible at all. instead of going the direction I outlined above, which requires some background in computers to say the least, you can buy a portable MP3 player. most of those come with software that makes ripping cd's pretty much plug and play, and almost all new head units(especially high end ones) come with aux inputs for mp3 players.

either way, good luck
Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

just buy a 4 gig usb stick or hell why not an 8 i paid 60 bucks for 4 gigs and that holds plenty of music can always change the music in like 2 seconds via comp and the dam thing fits in my pocket nicely with plenty of room for my cell....its normally in the glove box though and you would never know it was there
Old Jul 19, 2007, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

^good method, not as plug and play as the mp3 player.

a memory stick requires previous knowledge of mp3 encoding, and how to move files between drives.

with the software that comes with most mp3 players not only do you get help menus designed specifically for putting music on the device, you get software that allows you to insert a cd into your computer, and without doing anything but waiting a couple of minutes to be able to play it on your mp3 player. that's as simple as it gets man
Old Jul 19, 2007, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Hm... I bought a cheapo Sony CDRxxxx or something like that from some local sony dealer for real cheap (50% off to be exact) and i just use the Aux in. I've tested CD's and MP3 CD's on it but I stick to the aux since my samsung ypk5 (4gb) is more than enough that I'll ever need. Plus with the equalizer on the headunit tweaked you can get more bass out, and with the tweaking of the equalizer on the mp3 player even more bass can come out. Though I would love to replace the Sub that came with the SSL package... I just like the enclosure and the beefy-ness of it.

Look into scrapping the cd changer, its too much work. Get a nice headunit, no need for DVD's.. do you really plan on sitting in your car to watch a movie. Its all for show unless your friends are that bored while you drive (mines are too busy holding on for their lives... heh..) I wanted to get a dvd player a while back, almost bought one then my dad sat me down and asked me what were the chances that i'd sit in my car and watch a movie... or stupidily how often am i going to drive around to watch a movie. Navigation though is another thing, i'd love one of those...

Well i'm done with my essay. Hope that helped, as for the cable to adapt to your SSL package (without the CD changer) you can get from the links stickied at the top of the Ralliart Audio Section... I use it and love it.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:21 AM

thanks for the info guys. Looks like ill just sell this 6 disc changer, I'll still ponder the DVD though. I can't smoke dope in my house so I usually gotta go take a drive some where so it would be nice to watch something while Im token :P
Old Jul 19, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 19, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

um... no comment to your last post gingivitis...