Notices

MAF sensor circuit

Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF sensor circuit

Does anyone REALLY KNOW how the MAF sensor system operates in the RA? Everyone always speaks of frequency based this and karmen vortex that, does anyone have any solid research to back any of this up?

The reason I ask is that I am leaning more and more toward this being a traditional 0 to 5v sensor signal. No matter how the sensor actually measures the air, it still outputs a 0 to 5v signal according to all my efforts.

The tech manual states as much as well:

CIRCUIT OPERATION

The mass airflow sensor power is supplied from
the MFI relay (terminal No. 4), and the ground is
provided on the ECM <M/T> or PCM <A/T> (ter-
minal No. 96).
A voltage that is according to the mass airflow
rate is sent to the ECM <M/T> or PCM <A/T>
(terminal No. 63) from the mass airflow sensor
output terminal (terminal No. 3).
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION
While the engine is running, the mass airflow
sensor outputs voltage which corresponds to the
mass airflow rate.
The ECM <M/T> or PCM <A/T> checks whether
the voltage output by the mass airflow sensor
while the engine is running is within a specified
range.

So I guess I am ultimately looking for someone to blame for all our woes It would appear that we have been duped into thinking our options are limited. This also means that the guys who have the SAFC hooked up and are not posting may have it wired into the MAF signal instead of the MAP signal as that unit suggests.

I may wire up this SMT-6 as a 0-5v MAF system and see if I can't get it to tune the fuel. It won't do timing, but it would solve the problem I had getting it to work for fuel.

So a power supply, a ground, a 0-5v corresponding to airflow, and a 0-5v corresponding to air temp.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

conspiracy!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

it must be man, no other explanation

If anyone has an oscilloscope please put the MAF signal on it It CAN'T be a frequency signal, I'm not getting a 2.5v reading on the MAPECU2!!! If it was frequency based and you try to monitor it as voltage it should average as 2.5v (0-5v square wave) and it reads just like a 0-5v reading!!!

Last edited by DangerousDan; Nov 5, 2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried scoping my MAF a year or two ago, I couldn't get the signal to change either voltage or frequency. It's possible I didn't have the scope set correctly, but not likely. I have used it to check waveforms and voltage before.

If it wasn't heading directly into winter here, I might be persuaded to try again. We'll see.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

this excites me in ways franks red hots can not......bad joke this is very interesting i might start researching this again as well. lets close this case with a definate answer if anyone has any valid ideas i will try it out with my SAFC II and just for kicks im going to call my mitsu dealers head mech he knows his stuff really well maybe ill try my only local performance shop that has a dyno since we have such a large quantity of Ralliarts here maybe odds will be in my favour. good luck guys lets git er done
Old Nov 6, 2007, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, good news for the SAFC users now you really can change fuel!!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

so i understand what you are saying and if all your research is correct and i trust that it is then the SAFC II should just hook right up like it does in the book but that is not the case it barely runs and stalls out.....basically im asking if there is something that needs to be done differently when connecting the wires?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

i wonder if it is something as simple as this...from another forum

So double checked all the wiring. Resoldered everything. Still starts up leans, out and dies.

So I decided to mess with the settings because I remember reading on here that some people had to change their settings cause SAFC II is weird like that sometimes. I changed the sensor from

2 in, 6 out which is what redtop SR with z32 is supposed to be

to

1 in 6 out

Now it idles fine. A little lean around 15. I havnt been able to actually drive the car because of the weather so I dont know how it does other then idle and revving it.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

post up in your install thread, don't want this to go off topic too far as it's in the advanced forum but I need more information about the setup you are talking about.

one question though, you are saying you can't get it to idle with the SAFC on the MAF wire?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

originally when i installed it about 3 months or so back it would not idle smooth at all and stall out after a while and it would stall out immediately if i revved the engine a little. so now im hooked to the map and its just a fancy guage that looks as though it has a function.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

so you haven't been able to get it to run on the MAF sensor? I an dl'ing the manual now
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

correct...and sorry to clog this thread but mine is gone.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

well i went into the garage today to try some playing around and this is what happened so i tried out karman again and same old thing run rough like a struggle and stall out, then i went through every other sensor type and played with the sensor settings and they all gave an identical result the car started but then immediately shut down so i though well maybe ill see what happens if i give it some gas but that did absolutely nothing at all it was like the throttle wasn't even working any thoughts.....unless you can prove otherwise i think that our sensor is karman cause its the only thing i could get the car to somewhat run on.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

we will see. I did not mess with it today, worked a little longer than I thought, but first thing tomorrow
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

I wish someone who knew what was going on would post here. why can't I monitor a KVF signal with a unit that is supposed to use the same signals two piggybacks I have tried, both with karmen capabilities, won't read or emulate the signal. ****

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAF sensor circuit