Notices

Hit and Run/Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:26 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Hit and Run/Insurance Question

So I parked my car in the street friday night bc there wasn't enough room in the drive way, started drinking with some friends, and passed out later. To my surprise when I woke up, somebody ran into my car during the night sometime. None of my neighbors saw anything.

The damage is bad, but not too bad. The driver's side driver and passenger door got bent up and crap, but it seems like an easy fix. On the driver door the window wont go down but like 3 inches, and the lock/unlock button does not work either. I have to manually push the lock button down on the driver's side door, and when I try to open the window, the door goes ajar. The door handle on the outside of the door stays sticking out as well, not too mention alot of paint chips and scratches on both doors.

It may sound dumb, but I have never delt with a situation like this before, but my question is since I have full coverage, it should be covered right? If so, would that raise my insurance rates up?

Last edited by Beardly P; Apr 19, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, ive had many an accident thats not my fault. I seem to be cursed

It will be covered, but due to no details of the other person, you will have to pay the excess fee and it may or may not push your premium up. If they are a good company it WONT due to you decairing it not your fault. It also might not push the preium up, but your rating might go down? its really all up to them.

But you will just need to pay the excess and all that. Sux when its not your fault.

I had that happen to me cause the driver gave false details (city councel buss driver) and no one could find the buss with the damange.

a tip for you all,if your hit by a buss, grab the drivers PERSONAL licennce details no matter how much he doesnt want to give it over, the buss details or city council details will not do!

Mark
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You're covered under your comprehensive damage policy. Comprehensive claims don't usually affect your rate, since there wasn't an accident.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to report it to your local police, or at least try to.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hail to the Beard

sweet. I'm assuming I will have to pay a deductible right? I have auto insurance with USAA, and I was going to report it to the police but I really did not see the use considering it wasn't an accident, nobody saw anything, and the police here in arlington suck ***!

(sorry to get off topic) for example, my brother's gf stayed the night one night, and her car got broken into and they heard the glass break, rushed outside, and the car drove off but they weren't able to get the license plate #. They called the cops, and the cops never came! They waited and every 30 min. they called the police, and after 2 hours, they gave up and filed a report over the phone. It has since been 6 months and nothing!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, you have to pay your deductable.

As for reporting it, it's not so much for the hope of catching the people, but rather having the incident on record in case your insurance wants to reference it.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hail to the Beard

pics posted

Ok so, I called USAA to fix some online info. and after talking to her for a minute, the operator put me through to claims (which I tried to call yesterday but nobody was available?) and got an appt. tomorrow morning at a prefered USAA shop - Caliber Collision.

First, does anyone know anything or have had any experience w/this place?
Second, I am awaiting a phone call from my adjuster as to how much of a deductible I am going to have to pay. I'm hoping it's comprehensive bc thats only $100!

Last edited by Beardly P; Apr 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hail to the Beard

Update

I am taking my car in tomorrow morning at 8am to get fixed! I have to pay only a $100 deductible, getting a rent car, and my RA should be fixed within a week! I love USAA!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by parrishr13
Update

I am taking my car in tomorrow morning at 8am to get fixed! I have to pay only a $100 deductible, getting a rent car, and my RA should be fixed within a week! I love USAA!
Congrats!

But you do realize that anyone with comprehensive insurance, $100 deductible and rental reimbursement would have received the same treatment? Progressive takes it a step further with their Concierge service. But I'm sure USAA rates are much better.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Many repair shops will waive the deducible, but it is probably too late. $100 is not too bad anyways

Where you will get screwed is the resale value since it will show up on carfax
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
Many repair shops will waive the deducible, but it is probably too late. $100 is not too bad anyways

I've had three vehicles that had body work recently, none reflected on carfax or autocheck. It all depends if the auto body shop reports to these bureaus.

And as long as you go through the shop the insurance company recommends, you'll pay your deductible. Only way to get around that is have the insurance company do the estimate, cut you a check for the damages (minus your deductible) and shop around for a reputable shop with the lowest price. This is what I do and always put a few hundred in my pocket.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hail to the Beard

Originally Posted by GolfTango
Congrats!

But you do realize that anyone with comprehensive insurance, $100 deductible and rental reimbursement would have received the same treatment? Progressive takes it a step further with their Concierge service. But I'm sure USAA rates are much better.
Um, no I guess I did not realize that? As for concierge service, all I did was call USAA, schedule an appt. w/a preferred body shop, dropped my car off, and got the rental. Simple. It's just not labeled a "concierge service" - I guess? Sounds cool and fancy though
And yes, ever since I joined the army and switched to USAA, my rates have been significantly better than the previous insurance companies I have been with (same rates even though I am not enlisted anymore as well)

Originally Posted by CaliMR
I'm not too worried about this because I never plan on selling my RA ever!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hail to the Beard

As for my RA, I dropped the car off this morning, and I miss it! It was like dropping off your kid that first day of school or something. wow.

Enterprise gave me a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 which I must admit I am liking. It is nothing like the RA, but I do miss driving an automatic! My RA should be ready for pickup early next week!

Thanks for all the feedback
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hail to the Beard

Got my RA back yesterday around 4pm! Oh I missed it so much! I was getting really tired of driving that Altima around! Life is good again!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
congrats man! i still haven't gotten my car back yet... hopefully tmrw ::fingers crossed::
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car went in the shope yesterday around 5pm and im going crazy wondering if they joy ridin it or took it home or just around, im going crazy not having my baby near me!!!! wtf man this suck ****! how did your car come out? any paint drip or is it like new?