Notices

WHERE to get short ram intake?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHERE to get short ram intake?

I have an RA with an automatic transmission, therefore I have little options for intake. I was wanting the RRM short ram, but before I could get the money together to buy one they stopped selling them. I even called them up to see if they still had any in stock, they don't.

So who else makes a short ram?? I want an intake, but I'm certainly not spending nearly $300 for the Injen one. I'm sorry, but it's a freakin' metal tube, that's not worth anywhere NEAR $300. I'm used to purchasing $40 ebay intakes for the previous cars I've had and they've all worked great.

As a side note has anyone tried the K&N drop-in filter? Any noticeable difference? If I can't find a cheap intake then I may just go this route.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

www.roadracemotorsports.com

theyll have everything you need...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by heartagram88
www.roadracemotorsports.com

theyll have everything you need...
he said that he called rrm asking if they had any left and they said no
Old Sep 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

heres what i did last night after trouble with a ebay intake. take your stock airbox. cut the tube with the maf sensor area put it in your intake tube then strap a cone filter and ur good lol
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

man the automatics get no love at all

personally I drove a M/T Ralliart and was not impresse. Usually M/T cars feel so much faster than their A/T counterparts, but the M/T I drove (a really nice condition one too) felt no faster than my A/T car.

that and I have a M/T sports car already, my Ralliart is my civilized daily driver.

i can't believe NOBODY else makes an intake that's compatible with the A/T Ralliarts other than RRM (don't make them anymore) and the Injen which is super expensive.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

I was wanting to get an RRM short ram intake and RRM Timing Box, guess I will just have to get the K&N drop-in and the timing box.

BTW, I also thought about getting an eBay intake and just using the upper portion, that should fit A/T cars.....but then I read that the eBay intakes cause a CEL.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:57 PM
rrd
Evolving Member

i'm glad you made this thread i was planning on getting an rrm one, sucks!
mine is an auto too
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use an AEM short ram, has worked great from day one. Just searched around on google and found a couple for just under 200, some at like 210 shipped. Not sure about how the automatic will respond, but instantly when i put mine on, the BOV sounded insane. Noticeable gain at the wheels and the engine sounded like a beast... I used to use the KN drop in, but couldnt tell much of a gain, but i do use a KN cone on my AEM, i like being able to clean it after those spirited road trips..

Last edited by buchnerj; Sep 3, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

yay finally more A/T RA's out there! i only knew of a few others besides myself and aznrico
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Yea ebay ones throw cel, pipe too large, but right after I did what I said to mine cel went bye bye. And what I did shouldn't be much diff then the short rams on market, ill post pic when I'm off work
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

yeah dude post a pic please.

my other car (90 MX-5) needs to be a 5-speed, or else it wouldn't be any fun. honestly with the RA I wouldn't want it in standard transmission. I like my RA because I can cruise around with it in comfort, but still have fun when the urge hits me. If I really want to tear it up I'll pull the cover off of my MX-5.

Does anyone know exactly WHY most of the intakes don't fit the A/T RAs? I'm sure there's a reason, is the A/T just bigger than the M/T and gets in the way?

BTW, we should start an A/T RA club, lol.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

i myself prefer MT in pretty much all cars. to me f i drive around a AT it just feels lazy. i swore to myself id never own an AT, im tryin to get the pic up now, my phones bein retarded it will be up in a few
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

here we go pic sux but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails WHERE to get short ram intake?-intake.jpg  
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, I always said I wouldn't own another A/T as well, but I live in an area with lots of stop and go traffic and it really gets tiring inching forward for a half hour in a standard.

my A/T is a welcome respite

now I want to make it faster though and am having trouble finding an intake that will fit the thing and is not super expensive.

hate to ask, but is there any way at all you could get a better picture of it? thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

maxsideburn and rrd im going to send you friend requests on here so i can keep track of A/T RA's out there in case i have any questions

Quick Reply: WHERE to get short ram intake?