Notices

experince with power inverters

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question experince with power inverters

has any body installed a power inverter in there car. i was wondering if i needed to watch out for any problems and maybe some ideas for mounting points. i have a 1200 what inverter and a power cap so i don't fry my electronics.

2004 black ra
rrm headers
magnaflow spun cat
magnaflow cat back
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you mean 1200 watts, which is a unit of measure for electrical power. You know that will draw 100 amps of power when running at full capacity, right? Using the formula: Amps * Volts = Watts.

Why do you need that much power? You could run a decent microwave with that much power. Maybe even 2.

I wouldn't turn the car off if you are planning to use it at full capacity. Would probably drain the battery really quick. How will it be wired? Is it just a plug in to the cigarette lighter? Might want to check the rating of the alternator to see if it can handle that kind of draw when the car is running.

edit: just looked and the OEM alternator is rated at 90 amps. I wouldn't attempt to run that inverter at full load. Overloaded circuits = bad things.....like smoke and fire.
Remember, that 90 amps being generated by the alternator is being used to charge the battery, and run other stuff on your car while it is running.

Last edited by Eclipse2Lancer; Oct 14, 2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one installed in my car running a ps2.
I just cut the cigarette lighter cord an hooked it up to my capacitor. Been running fine for years now.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone have recommendations on the power inverters which plug into the cigarette lighter and convert the cigarette lighter into a regular power plug socket?

I'd like to use my laptop in my car, but im not sure which ones are a rip off and which ones are cheap POS.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

^I've gotten good deals from units at Fry's that seem to work well. In fact, my inverter is in a car powering a dead battery laptop right now!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eclipse2Lancer
I think you mean 1200 watts, which is a unit of measure for electrical power. You know that will draw 100 amps of power when running at full capacity, right? Using the formula: Amps * Volts = Watts.

Why do you need that much power? You could run a decent microwave with that much power. Maybe even 2.

I wouldn't turn the car off if you are planning to use it at full capacity. Would probably drain the battery really quick. How will it be wired? Is it just a plug in to the cigarette lighter? Might want to check the rating of the alternator to see if it can handle that kind of draw when the car is running.

edit: just looked and the OEM alternator is rated at 90 amps. I wouldn't attempt to run that inverter at full load. Overloaded circuits = bad things.....like smoke and fire.
Remember, that 90 amps being generated by the alternator is being used to charge the battery, and run other stuff on your car while it is running.
i got a good deal on it and i don't plan on running any thing to big just a laptop with all the trimmings, and maybe a iron for my skis so i can wax them just before hitting the hill. i was going to run the cables to the battery i don't think that the lighter fuse will handle the that many watts. ( ty for the correct spelling). i definitely think i will need to get a different alternator at some point. i need more power for the amps i am installing eventually. any body know a more powerful alternator they suggest.

p.s.
are you really the Stig. and what do you think of the new Mclaren
http://fast-autos.net/vehicles/McLaren/2010/MP4-12C/
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

the new mclaren looks hot.
and the stig will never reveal his identity. NEVER!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

LOL @ the Stig trolling the Evo boards! Sure, it could happen but more likely that is a fan of the show!

I'm not so hot on the new McLaren. It looks like it belongs in the 90's. I'd have to see it in person, which will be far more likely seeing that it is relatively cheap and will be sold in the US officially.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

If you just run a laptop and occasionally an iron to melt the wax on your skis....then that inverter should be fine. I just wouldn't hook up a whole kitchen to it.

Oh.....I'm Stig's American cousin.

That new McLaren is nice. But it's no Ferrari FXX.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have installed a 400w one.
Pictures Here
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:28 AM

wow that helps i will post pictures of my install dose any body know where i can get 4 awg cables. o and the ffx is not a street car and to saying the mclaren looks like it comes form the 90's. i looks great and i like the understated look of it .
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

re-looking at it, I don't know what it is that brought out the "90's" comment, maybe the headlights or looking at it straight on. I compare it to the upcoming 458, which will likely be its closest competitor; the 458 is aggressive looking - pulling some cues from the Enzo.

Doing a side-by-side comparison though, both the 458 and McLaren, there are similar shapes. I guess they both have access to a wind tunnel?