Notices

noob question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob question

how do u take out the glove box to get to the cabin air filter? can't figure it out. erg..
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:18 PM

there is a pin type piece of plastic on the upper left side of the inside of the box. you need to push it towards the motor and then it comes right out. You need to hold the box towards the motor a little so there is no weight on the pin.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

ah, yep, got it.

holy mother, that filter is dirty... need a new one.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
i dont think its pushing towards the motor... dont you actually push it toward yourself? and then it'll unhook itself and you can just push it into the glove box so it pops out... and then you kinda just gotta squeeze the other side of the glove box to get it to swing all the way down and just unhook the box from the hinges

EDIT: i was too late... oh well glad you got it... where do we get new cabin filters anyway?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

^ gonna make a few phone calls right now. starting with the stealership.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I wanna link to this post here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...cs-inside.html

Its what my filter looks like. Totally full of crap. I think it be good practice to take out the filter on every oil change, and blow it out.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:45 PM

You can save money and cut out the old filter material. Buy a house furnace filter and cut it down to size. Tape it in there and you're good to go.

Better filtering too.

Saves you like 60ish dollars. or however much the oem cabin filters are.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
rrd
Evolving Member

$28 + free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00162I1YS
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterPo
You can save money and cut out the old filter material. Buy a house furnace filter and cut it down to size. Tape it in there and you're good to go.

Better filtering too.

Saves you like 60ish dollars. or however much the oem cabin filters are.
So this. I just buy a $7 house filter in the biggest size I can find, cut it up, and use that. I usually get 6 "refills" out of each one. I change it out every other oil change.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

by the looks of that amazon filter, doesnt look like the OEM.

I just came from PartSource, they wanted to sell me a filter that wont fit at all that they claim is the one for the 06 lancer ralliart. There's no plastic frame, no screw holes to mount it, just made of cardboard. I figured by the looks of it I could cut out the filter material of the old filter and fit the one from part source in it, but... bah...

I just went to buy one from mitsubishi. I'm keeping the old one so that I can put a furnace filter in it.

@rrd: have you purchased said amazon filter before? Does it come with the plastic frame and the screw holes like the OEM filter?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
rrd
Evolving Member

no i havent used that filter before, but was thinking about getting one
i get a pretty weird mildewy smell when i use the a/c in my car

people have said in other threads that its a good replacement for the oem one, i honestly dont know though

EDIT:

holy mother of god i just pulled out my filter to see how dirty it was, it was full to the top with dirt and leaves, so nasty
i gave it a quick clean out with a paintbrush and some compressed air, now i really will be ordering a new filter asap.

Last edited by rrd; Oct 15, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, that's why I said I think it be best to clean the darn thing at every oil change. Mine was really dirty too.

So now, new question;

Better filtering too.
To me, it seems that the OEM filter would do a better job filtering particles out from the air since its not just a carbon filter but it looks nice and tight, compared to a furnace filter where the filtering material looks loose where a lot of dirt might be able to make it through.

So what do you base your comment on that it seems to filter better than the OEM?
It just seems like it wouldnt.

holy mother of god i just pulled out my filter to see how dirty it was, it was full to the top with dirt and leaves, so nasty
i gave it a quick clean out with a paintbrush and some compressed air, now i really will be ordering a new filter asap.
hey man, if you order the amazon one, let me know if its the correct one.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thomar
by the looks of that amazon filter, doesnt look like the OEM.

I just came from PartSource, they wanted to sell me a filter that wont fit at all that they claim is the one for the 06 lancer ralliart. There's no plastic frame, no screw holes to mount it, just made of cardboard. I figured by the looks of it I could cut out the filter material of the old filter and fit the one from part source in it, but... bah...

I just went to buy one from mitsubishi. I'm keeping the old one so that I can put a furnace filter in it.

@rrd: have you purchased said amazon filter before? Does it come with the plastic frame and the screw holes like the OEM filter?
LoL, just put out the extra pennies for a new mitsubishi or OEM type filter. Trust me I cut out the filter and inserted a WIX filter. It was not only a messing job but too time consuming to even worrying about dealing with.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 07:32 AM

is this something to really worry about?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

well you might wanna check the condition of the filter and maybe blow it out with an air hose or vacume it out.
its real easy to do, all you need is a phillips head screw driver and 5 mins of your time.